Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MUST READ IMPD Cover Up----Biker dead by drunk cop

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2010, 06:33 PM
midnight2005
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by pibpd905
Priority at any accident is medical for any injuries, DUI second...that is the standard for anyone not just officers involved in an accident. Second, if it is an accident where civilians are injuired and the officer is involved, you don't take the officer to the same hospital. In Indy there had to be other hospitals to take the officer to instead of a clinic, it only become more difficult in smaller towns/cities that may only have one hospital.

As I stated, our policy is that you have to go to a clinic style medical facility for any alcohol/drug testing, it is not done at the hospital. So the reason he was taken to a clinic may have to do with the cities drug policy that has to be followed. Even if that is the case, the person there should have been certified to draw blood for a BAC test.

Our policy is a blood test for on-duty incidents and not a breath test, that way they can test for all substances and not just alcohol
I am going to call BS on the first statement. Leos are out to get their dui first. I have seen them drag a woman who is in shock and try to make her do a sobriaty test. I had to stop them myself by telling them she is in shock and I will testify in her behalf of any suit she brings against them.

As for policy that you do not take leos to the same hospital that you take civilians? Now I believe that, got to have that preferred treatment eh?

Old 08-22-2010, 07:30 PM
pibpd905
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, injuries do come first, if an officer did do Field Sobriety Tests on someone in shock or a head injury, the HNG (Horizontal Gaze Nystagmus) would show that the eyes do not track evenly (one of the first things you look for during this test) -- a clear sign that the person is either in shock or has a head injury. Most people in shock cannot follow directions to begin with. You did the right thing by bringing it to the officers attention.

They take officers to a different hospital so that there is no contact between the injuried parties and/or their families who may blame the officer for their loved ones or their own injuries. There is no special treatment for the officer, it is to avoid problems or fights that may arise out the accident or injury itself.

There are good cops and then there are bad cops...but it is only the bad cops you ever hear about. No one ever tells stories about the good cop that helped them out or was nice to them. I have worked with both kinds and all I can tell you "its the nature of the beast" as with all professions.

Old 01-16-2011, 07:44 PM
RandyDowdy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They are reinstating the DUI charges against the drunk cop. As they should!

Old 01-16-2011, 07:50 PM
thumper05
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Im going to close this down, it has been posted and reposted ..
all it does is start cop bashing.
Quit beating a DEAD HORSE