General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine hiccups with half tank of gas or less?

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2006, 08:16 PM
anubisss
Banned
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Engine hiccups with half tank of gas or less?

Has anyone else experienced this problem? This happens but only when I have ay bout a half a tank or less. I know to check the flange nuts for tightness, etc. I have determined the half tank of gas part by continually filling up at about 90 miles. When the tank is full or until then, no hiccups. Suggestions for a fix? I am clueless with the exception of taking off the exhasut and reinstalling it again. And I doubt that will fix anything. Thnaks for your knowledge.

Old 09-05-2006, 08:19 PM
Bryan TTM
Banned
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: Engine hiccups with half tank of gas or less?

check the feed tube in the tank for a leak...it'll make it suck air

Old 09-07-2006, 05:14 PM
Rhinohd
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get a new gas cap... That's where I would start. If the one you have now isn't venting correctly it might cause a vacuum in the tank to form... Shouldn't be an issue in a newer bike but its sure sounds like this may be the exception... Good luck...

Old 09-07-2006, 10:13 PM
anubisss
Banned

any other suggestions? I've got the feed tube, just am a little afraid to try to install it. Any other suggestions once again? The feed tube is probably it, but what could it be? Can't afford the dealer this month.

Old 09-08-2006, 01:37 AM
Scurvy Jack
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My Springer did the same thing...it was the feed tube inside the tank. The tube gets brittle after a time, then cracks or gets small holes in it. When the gas level is below the crack/hole it sucks air which causes the "hiccup". Never had a problem with the gas cap though.

Old 09-08-2006, 01:41 AM
anubisss
Banned

Thnbaks scurvy jack. That's what the tech at the stealer told me too. I guess that is probably the problem.

Old 09-09-2006, 06:06 PM
anubisss
Banned

Any other ideas about this problem before I fix the fuel feed line? Anyone, Anyone, Bueller?Name:  bnewxhaust002.jpg
Views: 535
Size:  44.1 KB

Old 09-13-2006, 12:57 PM
anubisss
Banned

So I went to a different dealer than my closest local yesterday to ask about this problem. The guy said that it was one of two problems. Either the fuel feed line, or the gas cap. This forum is the best. The same two answers I got here. I got the fuel feed line, and just need to put it on. Someone said it is a pain to fet the fuel pump out of the tank, and that has temporarily scared me. Is this true? It can't be that difficult, the guy at the dealer looked at me like I was crazy when I told him this. So maybe later today I'll do it. The other question I have is do I need new screws for the Plate that goes over the fuel pum? The manual says to discard the original screws leading me to believe that I will need new ones. Anyone?

Old 09-13-2006, 01:42 PM
gary53
Advanced

I just had the same problem on my deuce. When you first turn the bike on I could hear gas/air leaking from the hose inside the tank. The sound was loud. I was told that HD started using cheaper fuel line inside the tank on 05's. I had eastern performance change mine. You do need to replace the screws. If you cannot here any noise from the tank try the cap first. Just trade off with someone for a tank or two.

Gary

Old 09-14-2006, 02:16 AM
Vrockmonster
Stage IV

I have a 2006 Streetglide that I got in June. From day one this bike has had this engine hiccups. When the engine hiccups, I also have a lost of power. Having the engine hiccup during a turn gets a little hairy. During the 1000 mile service, HD couldn't find the problem. At 1600 miles, I took the bike back to them and told them to keep the bike until they find the problem. It's been almost a week and they still don't know what's causing the problem. I can now give them a few things to look at. Thanks

Quick Reply: Engine hiccups with half tank of gas or less?