General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harleys Versus Metrics Bikes

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2005, 08:19 PM
skos
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Harleys Versus Metrics Bikes

Ok now that evertbody got worked up over my last post of "Road King Classic Vs. Yamaha Road Star Midnight Silverado" For those of you who don't believe in resale I say it must be nice to be rich. We all know that at some point in our lives we won't be able to ride(maybe around 90 years old) however if you think that you are going to get anything in the long run with a subpar Harley, just do a advance search on Ebay for motorcycles say 1980 to 1990 & see what you get. I will save you the trouble. You see a lot of tired metrics that won't sell for even a couple of hundred bucks. And you will see the Harleys in nice shape selling for close to of more then MSRP. Harley owners most if not all of the time have more pride in their bike & keep them up. I don't see a Yamaha or Honda forum that get 1000's of hits a day

Old 06-17-2005, 09:00 PM
HeatherC
Extreme HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: Harleys Versus Metrics Bikes

You're right. Harley's do get much better resale value. But, I agree that at least I didn't buy mine with the idea in my head that I will get money some day when I sell it. I just wanted a Harley. I was thinking earlier about the Metric vs. Harley debate. We had someone tell us "great you spent a lot of money just to be in a club". My first thought was...jealous? I don't see too many people trading in their Harley's to by metric bikes.

Old 06-17-2005, 09:13 PM
SPRINGER
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,270 Likes on 1,976 Posts

I didn't post on the Harley vs. Yamaha thing, so please forgive me if I missed something on that post. When I was growing up I had the chance to be around several different makes of bikes. I like to look at all bikes and try to find something nice about every bike that I have seen. My first bike was a Suzuki, simply because it was what I could afford. I've had Harleys on my mind for most of my life, but the paths that I took through life didn't allow me to get one. I bought my Springer because it was what I wanted and that was the only reason. I haven't checked into resale value down the road, because that wasn't my motive in buying my Harley. I like Harleys and the bottom line to me is this, I feel that there's a bike out there for everyone and mine just happens to be a Harley. Enjoy the ride. Thanks

Old 06-17-2005, 10:41 PM
Longhair4life
Extreme HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Same here. I did not buy my HD because it had a good resale value. I bought it because I love HDs. I bought it because even though the Japanese make some great looking and pretty bullet proof bikes they are a form of a copy of HD. Same thing goes with sports bikes. I would go with Metric first.

Old 06-17-2005, 10:41 PM
Clammy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,851 Likes on 805 Posts

All, I know is I bought my Harley to ride, and ride OFTEN. I plan on riding her until she just won't run anymore, so resale value is irrelevant to me. YMMV!

Cheers!
[sm=icon_rock.gif][sm=icon_rock.gif][sm=icon_rock.gif]

Old 06-17-2005, 11:30 PM
Peekaboo Bob
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When I purchased my Harley the thought of resale value never even occurred to me. I don't really care what I could get for it because it's not for sale. The last bikes I had before this were an 83 Goldwing and 76 Kawasaki KZ900. The Goldwing was bought in 98 for 1500 and I sold it in 2000 for 3500. The KZ900 I bought in 78 for 1800 and sold in 96 for 1800. Wish I still had the KZ, she sure did sing at 9000 rpm.

Steve

Old 06-18-2005, 12:37 AM
Omen
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: Clammy

All, I know is I bought my Harley to ride, and ride OFTEN. I plan on riding her until she just won't run anymore, so resale value is irrelevant to me. YMMV!

Cheers!
[sm=icon_rock.gif][sm=icon_rock.gif][sm=icon_rock.gif]

Reminds me of my EX [sm=smiley36.gif]

Old 06-18-2005, 12:44 AM
Markcuda
Banned

The only reason that I bought a Harley was so I can look cool, while I wash and wax it.
Not

Old 06-18-2005, 01:06 PM
Longhair4life
Extreme HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Yeah, It is kinda funny. The local hang out here there are a lot of rubs who own a HD or special construction chopper and only have 2000 - 4000 thousand miles on it when they have only had it for two or three years. They only go a couple of miles to the hang out to hang out in front of their bikes all night and then ride home. When they go to events they trailer their bikes everywhere. I bought my bike because I love to ride. My first HD was a 92 FXSTC. Before it was stolden I had put almost 80 thousand miles on her in just under three years. The next HD I owned was a 99 Road Glide which I put well over 30 thousand miles on in just under two years. Then the metrics I have owned the last I bought was in 02 and I had over 65 thousand miles when I sold it 3 three months ago. I also had one in 2000 that I sold in 02 that had over 30 thousand if I remember correctly. Now with my current bike I have slowed down a bit due to wife and kids but I put 4 grand on her in just over two months. All that and I have a car that I drive to work too during the begining of the week. Traffic here in Los Angeles is so bad but is very bad starting on wed until fri so I use my bike. Actually I would ride every day if it was not for having to take things to and from work in the begining of the week. Sometimes I do envy peoples bikes that are the same year as mine and theirs have no chips, discoloration or worn parts and they still look like they came off the show room floor. But I love to ride.

Old 06-19-2005, 02:05 AM
Hog_fever
Road Captain

I actually did consider resale value when I bought my Harley. The innitial cost was a real blow but I figured when its time to buy my next new Harley it will almost be paid for.

Quick Reply: Harleys Versus Metrics Bikes