General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Colorado Mountain Passes in September, snow?

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2006, 06:03 PM
Loch
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Colorado Mountain Passes in September, snow?

I’m planning a trip from Minneapolis, MN out to Las Vegas starting on September 14th. I was planning on going through Colorado Springs on the way out and riding through Rocky Mountain Nat’l Park on the way home. I was also considering hitting the highest point between Aspen and Leadville. When do the mountain passes start to get snow? Should I not risk getting into a mess and go south of the Rockies? Thanks for any and all advice.

Old 09-05-2006, 06:13 PM
rwagon57
Tourer
Default RE: Colorado Mountain Passes in September, snow?

Right now there is little to no snow in the southern Rockies, however that can change very quickly. If you plan enough time to backtrack in case, you should be fine. Just watch the local weather as well the weather channel, and bring warm clothes so you can layer up in the higher elevations.

Sunday we came over two 10,000 footers, La Monga and Cumbres on Colorado 17 between Antonito, CO and Chama, NM. La Monga was sunny and warm, 65ish, Cumbres was overcast and chilly, 50ish and they are less than 30 minutes apart.

The high passes in the Rockies are spectacular when its clear and well worth the time. Just remember that conditions can change quickly so be prepared. Go for it.

Old 09-05-2006, 07:38 PM
Wayward Son
Road Master

Went I-70 through the Eisenhower pass in August 04, the week after sturgis, whenever that is. Anyhow me and my wife were on the Valkryie and it started to sleet. This was a bad deal. We stopped in some town to look for a motel, and everything was 200 dollars. I was too cheap to pay that, so back on the road. Ended up in Eagle Colorado, couldn't ride anymore, hands numb, felt like a bunch a needles hitting my face, real fun.

It happend to be the night of the Coby Bryant hearing or trial, I don't remember which. Every tv news van in the world was in that town. Had to search about 3 or 4 places before we could find a room. Be prepared.

Old 09-05-2006, 11:07 PM
Whiskers
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 101 Likes on 46 Posts

Just pay attention to the long range (1 week) weather service forecast before you head out. I rode almost 300 miles yesterday and I needed a sweatshirt to stay warm. Trail Ridge Road can usually close anytime in September and Independance Pass between Granite (just south of Leadville) is about the same. Both passes are incredible though and worth the ride. September is really the best time to ride in Colorado so I'm just recommending that you 'go for it' and hope for the best.

Do they make snow chains for bikes?

Old 09-05-2006, 11:37 PM
Mr Wonderful
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I used to live at 9100' near Black Hawk and Central city in Colorado. September, as the man said, can be "iffy" at higher elevations....you can get sun, rain, sleet or snow...and in a 20 minute span. If it does snow, the norm is a "dry" snow, almost like soap flakes...very light and fluffy, not wet and sticky.
Keep an eye on Intellicast if you have access to a computer. Maybe you'll get lucky and the Aspen leaves will be golden yellow.....they look like they are on fire when the sun shines through them and the breeze is blowing.
Go for it. If you lwere leaving in October, I'd tell you that you'd probably get snow..........have fun and enjoy! Take your long handles and leathers!