General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Older Bikers, Remember when??

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2010, 01:11 PM
piasspj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 339 Likes on 195 Posts

Remember when you saw a bike being hauled, it didn't run and was in the back of a pick up truck. Probably tied down with rope. Also the owner was probably riding in the back of the truck with it.

Old 08-19-2010, 01:15 PM
DGDeuce
Club Member
Received 5,770 Likes on 2,336 Posts

Originally Posted by Cajun King
Every time you walked within 50 feet of a motorcycle you could smell gas. That is one of the reasons why I have kept my old Triumph all these years. I still like that smell.
The leaded gas smelled great. I remember my dad filling the car and us kids in the backseat practically got lead poisoning because it smelled so good. Sorry, not scoot related.

Old 08-19-2010, 01:16 PM
Certainteed
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Every time you walked within 50 feet of a motorcycle you could smell gas. That is one of the reasons why I have kept my old Triumph all these years. I still like that smell.
you'd love the buell 1125r. after a ride it'll stink your garage up.

i used to have a couple short pieces of guitar wire under my seat for pushing crud out of float needle seats and jets.

Old 08-19-2010, 01:21 PM
j1mmy
Elite HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

cant forget the shoestring throttle,ive never done it but seen it a hundred times,the funny part was that was never the reason it came for service.. i have had many smaller bikes with a pair of visegrips for a clutch, you kick with one foot, and anouther pair for a shifter.

Old 08-19-2010, 01:23 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,971 Likes on 4,163 Posts
Default 60

My first bike back in the 60's. Changed the seat to a small contoured naugahyde one. Put chrome hex bars in place of rear shocks for a hard tail rear. A small chrome front finder. Ditched the full oil bath chain guard. No helmet, no brains, lucky to still be here. Couple time came home behind a car in front using his head light to see road.

Attached Thumbnails Older Bikers, Remember when??-my-first-bike-back-in-the-60-s.-changed-the-seat-to-a-small-contoured-nagahide-one.-put-chrome-.jpg  

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 08-19-2010 at 01:29 PM.
Old 08-19-2010, 01:24 PM
RHPAW
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 15,105 Likes on 6,693 Posts

Polarizing a generator.
Wrapping tin foil from a gum wrapper around an in-line fuse when polarizing the generator wasn't done properly the first time.

Old 08-19-2010, 01:26 PM
sonoffatboy
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

gas smell..on my 69 bonny
yer post snapped me back...

those amal carbs when you pumped em ..sometimes the float would stick and gas wud drip out all over the place...had to whack them with the end of screwdriver to get it unstuck...

Old 08-19-2010, 01:33 PM
DaddyKnuck
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,664 Likes on 946 Posts

All of your blue jeans and most of your boots were burned through at the right cuff. There was more brass than plastic on your motorcycle. If you owned a stroker you always had a spare pair of plugs and you had a coffee can full waiting to be sand blasted at home. All of your jeans had little acid holes in the thigh area from the battery vent. You carried a small bag of coins and some JB Weld to help your pals when the various caps on their Limey bikes fell out. You had a master link tied in your boot laces and a John Wayne on your key ring. A tap and die set and a collection of Heli-coils were important items in your tool box. The least mechanically inclined of your friends could do a top end job.

Old 08-19-2010, 01:54 PM
chicanagirl
Road Warrior
Received 63 Likes on 32 Posts

This old time biker was telling me about in the 70s when they tie sleeping bags to their handlebars and go ride out for the weekend, camp out on any patch of ground they found. Any of you used to do that? Sounds like fun.

Old 08-19-2010, 01:58 PM
FLYING
Club Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Having one saddlebag for tools and the other for fluids,rags and handcleaner !

Quick Reply: Older Bikers, Remember when??