General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Older Bikers, Remember when??

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2010, 03:19 PM
DaddyKnuck
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,664 Likes on 946 Posts

Remember when 5 X 16 was a fat tire?

Old 08-20-2010, 04:43 PM
Grrrl
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by frenchman
Well, I remember, when I bought my first HD (Early shovel in a no name rigid frame), I started it up and all the guys around gave me thumbs up...
Fast forward, got a Twin cam, all stock. My wife looks at me and asks: is that thing running??????

Yes, there was a time when not every cubicle monkey, overworked family guy, weekend rebel or lawyer/dentist had to have a Harley. Bike weeks and parties weren't a family affair, brothers would pull over to help you out. A time when a disagreemetn was settled in the parking lot and nobody pulled a knife or called Johnny Law. A time when bros would ride left and right of you, at 15 MPH, and keep you in the middle because you were still shattered from the night before. A time when all those cute little smalltown ladies and the bad girls alike would give you a big smile at a red light. A time when all those nice citizens would get out of your way when you rode a motorcycle.
I had my time. I feel for the younger generation who wont.
Thanks for sharing that.
It reminds me of the song 'Grandpa Tell me about the good old days' by the Judds.

Old 08-20-2010, 05:06 PM
CRF
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by chicanagirl
This old time biker was telling me about in the 70s when they tie sleeping bags to their handlebars and go ride out for the weekend, camp out on any patch of ground they found. Any of you used to do that? Sounds like fun.
many still do. only way to travel.....

Old 08-20-2010, 05:48 PM
SportsterBob
Club Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Using a piece of coat-hanger to make a spoke...Using a short-reach spark plug in long reach threads to get home...Using a 520 master link on a 530 chain...Connecting 3 to 4 clothing belts together to make a tow rope...Hoping there is a pick-up in the parking lot at the watering-hole!

Old 08-20-2010, 07:29 PM
DaddyKnuck
Extreme HDF Member

Old Time reading material: Remember which mag Warner Riley had a monthly column in? It was the same one that had the "Turnip Eater" on it's contents page for most of the decade. What did the real "Spider" have tattooed on his wrist? What was Bob Bitchin's newspaper called? What magazines were basically monthly ads for AEE? What did AEE stand for? What was Nostalgia Cycle's original name? How did Spider define the word "douche?"

Old 08-20-2010, 07:52 PM
SportsterBob
Club Member

I remember Leo Payne who raced The Turnip Eater...Miraculous ***** is somewhere in there too!! The other answers will require some mind-boggling concentration!!!

Old 08-20-2010, 08:02 PM
Bennington HOG
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have not been riding long enough to add anything to this post, but it sure has been fun reading about what it was like once.

Old 08-20-2010, 08:03 PM
DaddyKnuck
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by SportsterBob
I remember Leo Payne who raced The Turnip Eater...Miraculous ***** is somewhere in there too!! The other answers will require some mind-boggling concentration!!!

LOL!! I was saving MM for later. That's one girl that really got her life turned around! From Easyrider's turnout girl to Speaker of the House. She should be proud.

Old 08-20-2010, 08:09 PM
bald1der
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

No internet, cell phone's, pager's, or crotch rockets. Bikers were bikers didn't matter what you rode.

Old 08-20-2010, 08:09 PM
SportsterBob
Club Member

Remember Raisin Pie? There must be 50 ways to make it...'Ol Skool Easyriders was required reading back in the day!!

Quick Reply: Older Bikers, Remember when??