General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Turn signals ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2010, 05:10 AM
reddog8145
Road Captain
Received 44 Likes on 14 Posts

I think thats normal, I had an 89 Sportster that had come into the UK in error, I bought it new and it had the same press and hold indicators as you have described. Ironicaly if I had bought an international model it would have had the press to cancel indicator buttons but I went for the alloy wheels instead of spoke look. It was a great bike, broke my heart when I had to sell it at the time.

Old 08-22-2010, 05:18 AM
FroggyFatBoy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Fnortner
Not to hijack this thread or anything, but speaking of turn signals...My old Harleys (a 95 and a 2000) had self cancelling turn signals that canceled upon going some distance. My 2010 FX has that as well, but in addition to that, they cancel after a lean, as in making the turn. So I can turn on the signal just before making a turn, make the turn, then the signal will flash three more times then cancel, way before it would cancel if it was just based on distance. When did they add this feature? Anyone else noticed this?

my 07 has that. being a mechanic i had to know myself. i asked the dealer how in the hell it cancels the t/sigs after a turn. they told me HD now uses a yaw sensor to cancel the signals.

pretty cool for a bike, but just something else to go wrong.

Old 08-23-2010, 06:42 PM
JerryL....
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Uncle G.
That's strange, because the Softail speedo with the reed switch has a "-91" suffix, meaning a 1991 introduction. I suppose it's possible that it was phased in during '91, and that all '91s might not have had it. I know some of this because I always wanted an "old" style speedo for my '94, and waited 10 years for someone to make a '62 style speedo with the '91-'95 style reed switch, but noone ever did. I finally gave in and installed the '62 style speedo without the reed switch, and now my turn signals work just like yours. You push to turn them on, and push again to turn them off.

Have you owned your '91 since new? has the speedo been replaced with an earlier or aftermarket model? Has a previous owner tampered with the turn signal canceller? The '91-'95 OEM speedo will have three electrical wires-two orange wires for the lamps, and a black wire to the turn signal module. If the black wire is disconnected or bypassed, the turn signals will work just like you describe.

I was never a big fan of the turn signal canceller, as it always seemed to turn the blinkers off before I reached the turn, so I really don't miss it (except when I forget to turn them off, and look like an old geezer driving for miles with the turn signal blinking).
I must apologize. My 91 does have self canceling. I just tried them out. I just took my dad's word for it and hadn't given them a chance to shut off by themselves.. I guess he didn't either. They seem to take a little longer than my 04, but they do turn off with a lean, and if no lean, after an amount of time. Sorry guys.

Old 04-02-2011, 10:14 AM
schoolmaster
5th Gear

I've got an 89 flh with a self canceling module. It had a poor response to signal request as well . For example the turn signal would not always start with the brakes applied or all the lights on . I noticed the initiation to the module was from 12vdc+ to the module so I started separating and cleaning connection plugs and terminals to that first and and when that worked , whole bike . This included the turn Module , most of the under fairing connections I could get at as well as under seat and bulb sockets .It seemed each cleaned part improved system operation .Lights ,horn , turnsignal response were all were much improved . I used the HD manual schematic as a guide . I've yet to get on the road but it looks good in the shop. Make sure you always disconnect the battery before working . You could just do the module control wire/connections right back to the fuse on your bike . I used used plummers emery paper and a torch nozzle file on those @$%#@%^ plug connections .

Old 04-02-2011, 10:57 AM
TattoodCaptain
Road Warrior
Received 951 Likes on 399 Posts

My '73 Sporty is "push & hold", right foot shift, left foot brake. Takes a block or two to figure out what bike I'm on

Old 04-02-2011, 11:59 AM
Tom84FXST
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 20,316 Likes on 5,873 Posts

Originally Posted by Uncle G.
As I said, H-D has had self canceling signals since '91 across the board.

Not correct...some of the fancier bikes had some sort of self canceling system in 91...it was an option...lowly plain jane bikes did not get self canceling till 96...when they changed to electric speedos across the board.

Last edited by Tom84FXST; 04-02-2011 at 12:01 PM.
Old 04-14-2013, 10:38 PM
ezfive
Stage III

'90 Heritage signals must be held down to signal.

Last edited by ezfive; 04-14-2013 at 10:42 PM. Reason: Posted in error