General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Turn signals ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2010, 09:26 PM
krazy3
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

My '90 Softail Custom came from the factory with buttons you had to hold down to make the turn signals stay on. Like everyone else said, what a PITA to ride.

My dealer switched them out for the older style switches that when you turn them on they stay on, then you have to turn them off.

He did that for me 20 years ago when I bought the bike new. I still have the original switches in the tool box. I probably have the part numbers of the switches put in if that would be helpful.

Old 08-19-2010, 10:25 PM
ronnie41653
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would rather have switches that I have to turn off as to have switches that I have to hold on. I would love the part numbers. I really appreciate everyones input.

Last edited by ronnie41653; 08-19-2010 at 10:31 PM.
Old 08-19-2010, 11:12 PM
Kowan
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My 86 FXSTC came with the signals that required another push to cancel.
The old school rider/owner of the dealer I dealt with hated them.
He would forget to cancel them. He said a guy dropped his bike off because one signal switch was broken and wouldn't work unless held in.
The dealer wanted to see what was broken so he could break it on his bike.

Old 08-20-2010, 12:53 AM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 819 Likes on 805 Posts

Originally Posted by bikes
I didn't know a '90 model Heritage Softail had self cancelling turn signals.
I dont think so either... and it sound like a ELC problem...either a wire or switch prob.

Old 08-20-2010, 10:10 AM
FLST rider
Cruiser

I appreciate the fact that my 89 Heritage doesn't require anything other than releasing my thumb from the switch to cancel the signal flash. I've never "forgotten" to cancel the signal. The purpose of the signal flash is to alert those around you of your intentions and doesn't IMO necessarily need to flash all the way though the completion of the turn. I will normally hit the switch and hold it for 5 - 6 flashes prior to my turn and then release it to focus on other things.

Old 08-20-2010, 04:40 PM
txfxstrider
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 86 Likes on 55 Posts

I can't believe the number of people here that think the module is bad because the turn signal button has to be held down for the signals to work. Lot of youngsters I guess.

I am like FLST rider in that I think that old system is the best. I never had to look down to see if my turn signals were on or off. Always put them on and took them off at the correct time. Ah, for the good ole days.

Of course, I always liked having an optional kick starter and being able to ride during the day without burning my headlight, and being able to ride all day without seeing another motorcycle and knowing when I did see one that we had something in common. Waving meant something back then. It's tough getting old.

Old 08-20-2010, 06:19 PM
nwbikerid
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Yep, my 90 Softail has the push and hold signals, my 93 Fatboy has the read switch and the module under the speedo. That's just the way it was at that time, and I've had my Softail since then and there isn't anything wrong with it.

Old 08-21-2010, 09:35 PM
hotrodz
Intermediate

you have to hold the button on my 87 softail as well... i like it that way...

Old 08-21-2010, 09:52 PM
Fnortner
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not to hijack this thread or anything, but speaking of turn signals...My old Harleys (a 95 and a 2000) had self cancelling turn signals that canceled upon going some distance. My 2010 FX has that as well, but in addition to that, they cancel after a lean, as in making the turn. So I can turn on the signal just before making a turn, make the turn, then the signal will flash three more times then cancel, way before it would cancel if it was just based on distance. When did they add this feature? Anyone else noticed this?

Old 08-21-2010, 11:13 PM
1skrewsloose
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Had my daughter on the back on one ride, she asked why I used blinkers and hand signals, I said cause I want folks to know whats going on. I kinda would like to have push to start, push to stop blinkers. 90 fxrs-sp.

Quick Reply: Turn signals ?