General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Would You Buy New HD If They Moved To Mexico Or Overseas

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2010, 07:10 PM
albatross
Road Warrior
Received 296 Likes on 216 Posts

Originally Posted by bjewell
I wouldn't buy a new one if they left Wisconsin, period...

Old 08-18-2010, 07:24 PM
TORQUEY
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 175 Likes on 127 Posts

I guess I'd find somebody to stuff a 127 inch S & S motor into an American Frame...

...one that wasn't 11 feet long after the chop!

Old 08-18-2010, 07:34 PM
coupe55
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Sure Would

but only if they did as VW did, could not sell the air cooled VW in the U.S. but let Mexico produce them for years!

If HD went to Mexico and built pre 07 bikes with none of the EPA junk. I would go buy me one and drag it across the Rio Grande, shove it over the fence and ride it across Arizona with 2 non documented workers on the back! I believe if I could find me a good tunnel I could make some money selling them back on the U.S. side.

Old 08-18-2010, 07:36 PM
DaddyKnuck
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,664 Likes on 946 Posts

I wonder who benefits from the mindless speculation that Harley is moving production of bikes out of the USA? Can anyone point to a SINGLE official reference that even suggests it as a possibility? Isn't a public company required by law to disclose such a major potential change in it's forward looking statements?

There is the very real likelihood that HD will move from it's current locations to more business friendly states, but out of the country? Never.

Here's a question for all you haters: is a GM vehicle made in Mexico by Mexicans more or less of an "American" car than a Toyota made in the USA by Americans?

Old 08-18-2010, 07:45 PM
kickstart51
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First off I have lost sevral jobs to nafta. It sucks. This fing country will give tax breaks to companys that build factorys over seas. That is bullshit. Give the tax break to the companys that stay here. Hershy For exapample. I do not blam HD for the move, I blame GOV. Doyle & all the dip ***** that voted for him. When is it going to stop. I did talk to a HD rep & they said that They are moving To Kentucky. I live in Wisconsin & let me tell you that The politichens here do not listen to the people of the state. It is not going to be Milwaukee Iron anymore, it is going to be hill billy steel. That is fine with me. I have my frist HD that I bought tweenty years ago, a 51 Pan, I bought a 2009 road king last year. I would buy another new one if it was build in kentucky, but not out of the states. I will draw the line here. I do not give a crap if you say trhat my computer was made in japan. I wish it was made here, but we as Americans let that happen. Lets stop it now before it is to late. The Governer in Wisconsin is to blame & thats that.

Old 08-18-2010, 07:46 PM
harleyflyboy
Road Warrior
Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts

It wouldn't be an American icon if it wasn't made in the US. That said I not particularly happy with my '09 Ultra right now and can't seem to get a lot of help from Harley, so maybe it is time to look at something else. I have had a few Hondas and they were all pretty good bikes. So if the choice of a foreign made Harley or a foreing made anything else, I may have to look around.
Of course you all know that Harley isn't talking about moving manufacturing overseas, they are talking about moving the manufacturing that is in Milwaukee someplace esle. Looks like Kentucky or Tennesee are in the lead at this time. The only thing they manufacture in Milwaukee are engines.

Old 08-18-2010, 08:02 PM
SC-Longhair
Club Member
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by edilgdaor
America would be much better off with fewer people with this attitude.
See, the only problem with what you said to the poster you replied to is....he's canadian. he has no ties to american patriotism. No offense, to Mr. Canada.

Old 08-18-2010, 08:05 PM
GeezerDude
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If they left the US they'd just be another bike maker.

Old 08-18-2010, 08:05 PM
SC-Longhair
Club Member

Listen, we all know most of our bikes are manufactured elsewhere. Go buy replacement parts and tell me what it says after "Made in..." on the packaging.

Harley wants more market share. The biggest thing most people say whe it comes to hd is high cost. So, how do they lower the manufacturing cost to lower the msrp to sell more bikes?

Do I want a bike built in Mexico? Hell no, but it's coming....

Old 08-18-2010, 08:08 PM
SC-Longhair
Club Member

In comparison...

about 6mos ago I was pasing through a ford dealership browsing at some new mustangs. There was a certificate of origin on the window. It stated "country of origin - engine: germany" "country of origin - transmission: France" Is that any different?

(I may have the two countries transposed. Cut me some slack)

Quick Reply: Would You Buy New HD If They Moved To Mexico Or Overseas