General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Would You Buy New HD If They Moved To Mexico Or Overseas

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2010, 05:53 PM
32vld
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So all those who will only own a US built HD, are you going to be watching tv on your jap or korean tv tonight?

Old 08-18-2010, 05:55 PM
1potter1
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Nope.

Old 08-18-2010, 05:58 PM
Bike-R-Mike
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Harley Davidson might move , but not overseas . Thier marketing is to clever , so I just can't see them doing something that stupid . But if they did go overseas I'd be sticking with one that was built before the move . You can still get parts for Harley's built in the 50's , so it will be a while before you can't find a part for a bike built in say the 90's .

Old 08-18-2010, 06:02 PM
FenceSC
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

No, I wouldn't buy a Harley if they moved out of the US. Have to draw the line somewhere. That said, I don't think they would move out of the US. They are just looking at other states where the labor rates are lower.

Old 08-18-2010, 06:17 PM
JerryL....
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes I would. My Dodge Ram is built in Mexico. I have a Ford built in Canada. What is any different with the Harley? All of you people that have said no should trade in your foreign built cars and trucks(if you have any) and buy that from American made also. Like the poster above said , you should also throw away your TV's and other things that are made outside the US.

Old 08-18-2010, 06:18 PM
Dave2261
Cruiser

I will never buy another Harley. Too many problems with my 09 Ultra. It's back at the dealer again. I never drank the kool-aid so going back to metric will not be a problem. Will seriously look at the Triumph Thunderbird.

Old 08-18-2010, 06:18 PM
rdam
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 36 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by 32vld
So all those who will only own a US built HD, are you going to be watching tv on your jap or korean tv tonight?
Yes. I'm typing on my Japanese computer too. Country of manufacture was not a consideration when purchasing these items...It was for my bike...and my truck...Thanks for asking

Old 08-18-2010, 06:20 PM
Trailfndr
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

As Mr. Henry Ford once said... Pay your employees enough to buy your product, and you have a ready made customer base.

When people that build things, be it Bikes, or Cars, or refrigorators, can no longer afford what they build, your compitition will happily take over and fill the void that you leave behind.

That being said, if HD were to move out of the US, I would be riding my LAST HD. I would never buy another one. new...OR used.

As for the person that asked if we would still watch our japanese tv etc... I make every effort possible to buy American made in anything I buy. I know that keeping my neighbor working helps ME, and my community. Its very sad that so many could give a damn less, and then wonder why thier Taxes go up to afford thier schools, police, fire departments and ogther services that we have come to expect from our communities.

BUY AMERICAN...the job you save, MIGHT turn out to be YOURS!!!

Old 08-18-2010, 06:24 PM
aviator
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

sorry, what was the question?? I was at the dealer picking up some "MADE IN CHINA" chrome for the bike.

Old 08-18-2010, 06:32 PM
shiftharder
Road Master

Originally Posted by Trailfndr
As for the person that asked if we would still watch our japanese tv etc... I make every effort possible to buy American made in anything I buy.

BUY AMERICAN...the job you save, MIGHT turn out to be YOURS!!!
Never been to a Wal-Mart I guess.

I`d run my 08 Sporty to the ground - there will be parts available long past my time.

Quick Reply: Would You Buy New HD If They Moved To Mexico Or Overseas