General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Would You Buy New HD If They Moved To Mexico Or Overseas

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2010, 03:44 PM
Jeff W
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by DaddyKnuck
"If Harley-Davidson moved production off of planet Earth and out of the solar system, employing scabs from planet X to build their bikes, would you buy one?"
I would have to say that probably not since shipping costs would be "Out of this World"

Old 08-20-2010, 03:52 PM
silverwolf79
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeff W
I would have to say that probably not since shipping costs would be "Out of this World"
Damn ,,, now that's funny ! lol

Old 08-20-2010, 04:32 PM
CRF
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SleeplessinVegas
Yes, I wouldn't want to ride another make. And I only guy GM vehicles, although I refer my bikes and vehicles to be built in the USA, it won't stop me from buying if they are assembled in Mexico or Canada.
what about the other way around? assembled in the US from foreign made parts? - thats basically what HD is doing now. Tons of stuff on em from Taiwan, japan and elsewhere. Its a global economy..... what about Toyotas? they're made in the USA in factories employing US workers; so are Hondas; why aren't they as good as a GM? At least they didn't have to rely on government handouts to survive (neither did Ford for that matter - only US car manufacturer that didnt) Dont want to start a flame war but this whole made in USA/Canada thing has really become a red herring - Virtually nothing is completely made in any one spot anymore - all the parts are sourced out to the lowest bidder and assembled wherever it makes the most economic sense. Not saying its right but thats how it is.

Old 08-20-2010, 04:36 PM
CRF
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by xarmymedic
I am even considering not buying a new Harley if its parts are not made in the USA which are rummored to be made in China and Mexico.(can anyone confirm this?)
Confirmed. Your entire front end is Japanese (Showa makes the forks on all Harleys); most of your chrome engine covers etc are from Taiwan.... it goes on and on.

Old 08-20-2010, 04:51 PM
frontiercat
Elite HDF Member
Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts

Chrome plating is a sum-beotch to get done in the US, thanks to the EPA...go figure why it is easier done elsewhere....

I buy things based on feelings as well as value. I wouldn't know until I saw a foreign made HD...rhetorically, yes I probably would.

Old 08-20-2010, 05:00 PM
Wildon883R
Road Warrior
Received 81 Likes on 63 Posts

If the bikes were made in Mexico or China hell no. If a majority of parts came from Japan then possibly. Mexico and China don't have a clue when it comes to quality. I work with Chinese made components daily and they are second rate compared to American made. China already makes a Harley clone as i witnessed in the Philippines in May.

If HD starts building in a foreign country then well my ride will be a Jap bike. I love Harley Davidson for what it is. When that changes so do i.

Old 08-20-2010, 10:45 PM
brgtr3
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No foreign Harley for this boy. I would ride my current bike into the ground, and then find a great, low mileage older model to replace it with.

Speaking of which: the whole shopping at WalMart just makes the country collapse all that much faster. I never ever would shop there. I would rather pay a premium and purchase from a local vendor.

When the country implodes on it self, you can give a standing ovation to WallyWorld and all the lemmings that flocked to their low low (out of this country slave labor) prices.

Me? American at every opportunity.

Old 08-20-2010, 10:55 PM
Sweetbaboo
Road Master

Originally Posted by DaddyKnuck
"If Harley-Davidson moved production off of planet Earth and out of the solar system, employing scabs from planet X to build their bikes, would you buy one?"
Originally Posted by Jeff W
That was a beauty Jeff W.

Also, Planet X bike production is a bit scary from an emissions standpoint; stock muffs would have to come off immediately.

Old 08-21-2010, 06:35 AM
scheduler
Tourer

never would I buy a new HD if ever made abroad but then again
if the price dropped 5k you never know how that would sell. I think at some
point money does make a difference AMERICAN MADE or not.

Old 08-21-2010, 06:37 AM
SC-Longhair
Club Member
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by brgtr3
No foreign Harley for this boy. I would ride my current bike into the ground, and then find a great, low mileage older model to replace it with.

Speaking of which: the whole shopping at WalMart just makes the country collapse all that much faster. I never ever would shop there. I would rather pay a premium and purchase from a local vendor.

When the country implodes on it self, you can give a standing ovation to WallyWorld and all the lemmings that flocked to their low low (out of this country slave labor) prices.

Me? American at every opportunity.
I can 110% respect your position but the next time you head to the dealer to pick up some new piece or a replacement part for your bike pay CLOSE attention to the packaging and let me know what it says after the words "Made in..." Here's a secret between you and me, it doesn't say "U.S.A."

So whether you want to believe it or not, our bikes are already being built overseas...one piece at a time.

I will say that I have seen prices come down a bit. Case in point. Back in the earlier part of the decade when I would go drool at the new bikes sitting on the dealer floor, the Dyna Wide Glide was ALWAYS in the mid 18's-mid 19's. When I bought my '07 WG in January of '08, the price tag was $17,100. After an immediate discount of $2k (said it was because of the leftover status), my bike was $15,100. So tell me, why are prices dropping?

The days of our american heritage being built 100% with american made parts in the states is long gone.

I'd sure love to see a parts box from a decade ago that says "Harley Davidson...Made in U.S.A"

Anyone have one of those lying around?

Quick Reply: Would You Buy New HD If They Moved To Mexico Or Overseas