General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Classifieds Section: A Tale of Two Dealings

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2010, 11:24 AM
steelhead
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Classifieds Section: A Tale of Two Dealings

It was the best of times it was the worst of times... A bit of a rant here.

In the last three weeks I have responded to two classieifieds listing here on the site. In the first, an item was listed for sale. It had a price, a very brief description of the item and a part number from the manufacturer. I responded that I was interested if still available but wanted a clarification on the item as the part number listed did not show up and I wanted to make sure it would fit my bike and also, what version he was selling. I got a response than yes still available and he would check to see if it would fit. I responded asking for a picture so I knew what version I was getting. Also asked if he took Paypal. Nothing for a few days so I pinged him again asking if it was still for sale. Response back was "yes, it should fit" and wife has camera, will send pics this weekend. Ok, I gave an e-mail to send the pics to and said I would be back in town Sunday night. On Tuesday, still no response so PM again. Today I get a response that the item was "picked up locally". Ok, I know we didn't have a handshake deal but if the seller would have provided the info up-front or when asked, we sure could have. Although pissed off on how it went down, glad I never did business with him.

On the flip side of the coin, saw some pipes for sale yesterday and inquired with an offer. Got an immediate response saying I was first to respond so I had first shot at them but that he needed to cover his shipping costs. He asked for my zip so he could get a shipping estimate and said he would meet me in the middle somewhere cost wise. Shortly thereafter I get a PM with a very reasonable amount for shipping and a paypal address if I was interested. Funds exchanged last night and this morning I get a PM saying he shipped them this morning and giving a tracking number. A real honor doing business with this member.

Ok rant over.

Peace out.

Old 08-18-2010, 11:39 AM
SC-Longhair
Club Member
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Unfortunately, not everyone is an honest person on the 'net. Usually if someone doesn't respond in a reasonable amount of time, I just move on. also, if someone is selling something especially on HDF...is it really difficult to initially include photos of the item for sale? I think not. It's amazing how many times I've seen 'can you post pics of what you're selling" asked in responses to sale ads.

Old 08-18-2010, 12:39 PM
EasternSP
Banned
Veteran: Marine Corp
Received 24,867 Likes on 9,332 Posts

I guess ya just have to remember, most sellers here aren't professional sellers, so they're going to miss a few steps. Also, most probably work a day, evening or night job so they aren't just sitting by their computer waiting to answer questions. The stores have people hired to do that.

Old 08-18-2010, 12:46 PM
02fx4dude
Road Master
Received 265 Likes on 138 Posts

Maybe the first seller didn't want to deal with shipping, or paypal, or both.

Old 08-18-2010, 12:57 PM
Other Sheep
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Convenience sometimes wins.

Old 08-18-2010, 01:29 PM
rcaddell
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Not everyone lives at their computer and checks their messages at HDForums every 5 minutes. Also, until money exchanges, you have no right to the product and the seller has no obligation to you.

I don't get your rant. If you have something for sale and a member of a forum is interested, but, understandably, needs more info and someone locally decides to purchase it after the forum messages you what are you going to do? Tell the local guy "Sorry, I have to send pictures and more info to this guy out of state to see if he may buy it so I can get less money after paypal fees, have to package the item and bring it to the post office" or are you going to sell the item locally and tell the forum guy "Sorry, sold locally" Mind you money never changed hands between you and said forum member.

I know which way I would go.

Old 08-18-2010, 02:30 PM
IAMSWUTIAMS
Extreme HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Maybe you expected too much from the first seller.

Old 08-18-2010, 02:41 PM
JW1200
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 21,364 Likes on 8,413 Posts

I won't buy anything from anyone who is not a "regular" on the forum. Lotsa cheets join just to post in the classified's.

Last edited by JW1200; 08-18-2010 at 02:50 PM.
Old 08-18-2010, 02:42 PM
piasspj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 339 Likes on 195 Posts

Brief description "including manufacturer and part number" sounds like a good enough description to determine fitment and version.

Money changing hands doesn't make any difference. You and the first seller never came to an agreement. No different than if you went to a store, saw an item and walked away to think about it. It's fair for anyone else to walk in and buy it.

BTW: You still don't know if it really was the version you want. What if it was a different version? Would you have bought it anyway?
Would you expect the seller to be on here posting about how he passed up an offer, checked fitment, took and sent pictures but then you backed out on the deal?

You know that it "should" fit but what if you bought it and it didn't fit (possibly due to other accessories)?

Last edited by piasspj; 08-18-2010 at 02:53 PM.
Old 08-18-2010, 02:50 PM
TFTCAR
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

My thoughts. I do not care who a seller sells to but PLEASE do not waste my time, I only have so much of it and I would prefer to use it as I like.

Quick Reply: Classifieds Section: A Tale of Two Dealings