General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Evo vs. Twin Cam

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2010, 10:45 PM
BikerV
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Harley_Dude
Most had the 70 tooth sprocket in em (up to 1994), easy to change the sprocket and belt. Mine has a 65t (1995-1999) and runs 3000 rpm @ 80mph.
I put the 65 tooth rear sprocket on my 87 when I replaced the rear belt, it helped a little. My 89 is converted to a chain set-up, 24/49 tooth sprockets. It's ok up till about 65 mph, over that it sounds like it's going to grenade. Eventually I'll probably pop in a 6 speed, I already have a 90 and up clutch basket waiting (splined shaft, like all the 6-speeds use), the 89 still uses a tapered shaft trans.

Old 08-20-2010, 04:16 AM
Meathook
Cruiser

I got to ride my of EVO a few weeks back. I missed the 6-speed and didn't like fooling with the choke, but everything else was so comfortable (84,000+ miles). Back to the TC and the lower RPM at higher speeds and the new frame - wish I could ride them both at the same time!

When I retired I opted for the new ride instead of completely rebuilding a 15 year old machine pretty much on cost. My wife likes the 2010's ride and comfort much better and we have rolled quite a few miles on it.

Still, its not an easy decision and I don't know that either choice is a bad one.

Old 08-20-2010, 06:00 AM
SeeMeDo
Road Warrior

Just love the old complaint about the vibrations of the EVO; sure it shakes some but that aids circulation it's all I can do to just say this but it makes me wonder about some Harley Owners.

Old 08-20-2010, 08:44 AM
MJHJEA
Road Warrior
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Going to look at an evo Softail Nostalgia this weekend, mint, 13k miles with all maintenance records. Not my color choice year, but only an hour from home, and it's really the "bike" style that grabs me most anyways. If I can get it at the price I'm thinking, I don't think I can go wrong with all things considered. Anyone know why Harley made such tiny saddlebags to go with the 94-96 models? They're so small that they look ridiculous and out of proportion on such a beautiful motorcycle.

Old 08-22-2010, 11:00 AM
Road6Customs
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Everything has pretty much been covered here with excellent responses! In my opinion, Evo's are equally dependable as Twin Cams if not more so. The bennifits of a Twin Cam... Zero vibration in a softail. Huge power potetial with stock cases. You are limited on what you can do with a stock Evo as far as LARGE displacement. Twin Cams already have quite a bit more power and torque than an Evo. I see zero benifit from EFI, and i have owned and built MANY bikes. If you want to just get on it and ride it, either is fine. If your a power nut.... Go with the twin cam just because you can very easily unleash monsterous numbers. Not saying this cant be done with an Evo. With all of this being said, I just purchase a 1996 Evo Softail Springer and my 2008 Night Train is for sale

Old 08-22-2010, 03:20 PM
Jim Kraft
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 115 Likes on 41 Posts

Evos in Softails vibrate? My 99 Softail Custom is smooth as silk up to 80 mph, but I hardly ever ride it there anyway. What is with you guys wanting to ride 80 and 85 all the time? What is your hurry? Guess I am just getting old but I like cruising at 50 to 60 on the two lanes, and 60 to 65 on the interstate. I have only ridden one Twin Cam, and not very far, so can not really compare the two. I did ride 50,000 miles on an Iron Head Sportster though, over a 23 year period, and that is why I guess I think the EVO Softails don't vibrate. LOL. The Evo has all the power I need and when I do get to 80 I have a whole lot left, as it is just starting to breathe good. That is with a stock EVO, except for the K&N air cleaner, and drag pipes. I love the simplicity of the EVO, and it suits me just fine. I am sure the TC is good also, as I have friends that ride them, and they seem to do just fine.

Attached Thumbnails Evo vs. Twin Cam-harley-with-new-seat-007.jpg  
Old 08-22-2010, 06:04 PM
bjewell
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 348 Likes on 134 Posts

For myself, the 88 TC motor with a carburator is the best of all worlds. Good bearings befor '03 (right?) and a traditional Harley sound. Power is a relative thing. My other bike is a Hayabusa. If you want to talk power, well...

But at the end of the day, cruising down the highway at 75, my FXST is the way to go for me...

Old 08-22-2010, 06:43 PM
TORQUEY
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 175 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by bjewell
For myself, the 88 TC motor with a carburator is the best of all worlds. Good bearings befor '03 (right?) and a traditional Harley sound. Power is a relative thing. My other bike is a Hayabusa. If you want to talk power, well...

But at the end of the day, cruising down the highway at 75, my FXST is the way to go for me...

Please don't take this the wrong way, as its sophistication and potential has earned my utmost respect, but a Hayabusa is not a motorcycle; it is a cruise missile.

Old 08-22-2010, 07:12 PM
lo-rider
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default later the better

Originally Posted by MJHJEA
...Some of you may recall my near-death experience a while back when a cage turned left in front of me while doing 55mph. I thought about it a while and ended up selling the bike because of it. Problem is I miss riding more than I thought I would. So now I'm back...
Like you, I went down @ 55mph when a flatbed truck made a sudden & unexpected left turn while I was passing him. Some time later I sold the bike and was w/o for years. When I recently decided to replace my '89 FXRS-SP 80" EVO, I wanted to get very close to the same bike. Almost everything bigger than a Sporty was $7,000 or more, even 15-year-old bikes. So when I found my '09 TC96/6-spd for $9,000 I bought it.

My point is this: as much as I had loved my old bike, there have been SCADS of improvements made since then. And what would I really save? Possibly $2,000-$3,000? And my '09 is still under warranty.

With the present market, I'd get the cleanest, latest, lowest-mileage cream-puff I could find.

Old 08-22-2010, 07:22 PM
the blob
Road Warrior
Received 45 Likes on 43 Posts

well i just sold my 06 dyna, bought a 1990 evo fxst! sure it vibrates on the highway a tad more but its not bad, it actualy rides better than the dyna! i switched because i like carbs and i missed my evo sportster. plus i had the worst year for the dyna( ipb bearing trouble stator and rotor probs, not to mention efi stole the sound). to me the fxst is a classic machine when i pull up at the dealer or any other biker place im usualy the only one on a classic bike!! people notice and compliment it!!