General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Evo vs. Twin Cam

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2010, 02:10 PM
Stash905
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

NickD hit the nail on the head as far as I am concerned. I could not have said it better.

Old 08-18-2010, 02:29 PM
simpkinst
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by supercrewser
Ok first of all you do know why they are called "softail" right? considering the fact that the fatboy, heritage classic, road king just name a few are pretty comfy rides that use the same suspension the softails use. The TC has a fuel injector the only extra moving part I can think of and they seem pretty reliable. Power wise my tc 96 with stage one is pretty strong and no problems passing trucks or anything for that matter and I still have 6th gear left . my .02 worth
What? You could not be more wrong.

1 The Softail name was created since it was meant to look like a HARDTAIL - but had a hidden shock. Has nothing to do with ride quality.

2. The fatboy and heritage classic ARE SOFTAILS. Not sure what you mean by your statement.

3. The Road King DOES NOT have the same suspension as the softails. It has 2 AIR SHOCKS and not the hidden mono-shock that the softail uses.

4 - "the only extra moving part I can think of". You do know that the TC has a whole extra cam and related parts, right? The EVO had one cam. the TWIN cam has 2.

I don't want to sound like a dick...but man You are not even in the same zip code here.

Last edited by simpkinst; 08-18-2010 at 02:33 PM.
Old 08-18-2010, 02:37 PM
supercrewser
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by simpkinst
What? You could not be more wrong.

1 The Softail name was created since it was meant to look like a HARDTAIL - but had a hidden shock. Has nothing to do with ride quality.

2. the fatboy and heritage classic ARE SOFTAILS. Not sure what you mean buy your statement.

3. The Road King DOES NOT have the same suspension as the softails. It has 2 AIR SHOCKS and not the hidden mono-shock that the softail uses.

4 - "the only extra moving part I can think of". You do know that the TC has a whole extra cam and related parts, right? The EVO had one cam. the TWIN cam has 2.
Ok first of all my point was it does have a floating rear suspension supported by (two) shocks not the mono shock you are talking about, thats what those models have in common, air ride or not its essentially the same set up.As far as the moving parts ,my bad in omitting the second cam which only adds one more rotating part.

Last edited by supercrewser; 08-18-2010 at 02:39 PM.
Old 08-18-2010, 03:43 PM
frontiercat
Elite HDF Member
Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts

TC is much hotter running than the 80", no doubt; I have both. The EVO has a 5 speed and the newer TCs have 6.

I love my 80", but when I head for the road, I'm on my TC Ultra. Hot or not, it will do 80mph and not even break a sweat.

Just look at all your options, ride a few different bikes, and surely you will find one that you can't do without...RIDE ON!

Old 08-18-2010, 04:19 PM
RHPAW
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 15,170 Likes on 6,709 Posts

Originally Posted by supercrewser
As far as the moving parts ,my bad in omitting the second cam which only adds one more rotating part.
How about the extra cam bearing for the second cam, the tensioners, the sprockets, and chain? Duh.

Old 08-18-2010, 06:30 PM
P47
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd go "new" if for no other reason than the ABS brakes.

Old 08-18-2010, 07:45 PM
coupe55
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default EPA Bikes

Originally Posted by MJHJEA
Hey all. Some of you may recall my near-death experience a while back when a cage turned left in front of me while doing 55mph. I thought about it a while and ended up selling the bike because of it. Problem is I miss riding more than I thought I would. So now I'm back in the market for another one. I've have owned several bikes in the past and have always been partial to the old school nostalgic look, my last one being the one I never thought I'd part with, the Softail Deluxe. But I've been looking at the 94-96 Softail Heritage Nostalgia, the bike that the Deluxe replaced in 2005. It is a little more in line with what I can afford right now with the kids off to college. I don't mind a little mileage on them as long as I know the maintenance history. Here's my main question. If I were to buy one, I'd plan on keeping it for a long,long time. I'm retiring in a few years and want to criss-cross the country on it, a dream I've always had. My wife, of course, will be my co-pilot. Would I regret buying a bike like this (evo carb 1340) vs. a newer twin cam efi ? Pros/cons? I do also love the old school sound from the carbed evo, but would that justify buying one for what I plan to do? Thanks guys Oh, and anything else about the bike itself vs. the newer ones I may not like?

The EVO was a revolutionary design that put the word reliability back into the HD motorcycle. If I could find a good low milage 88 I would grab it. Really the Twin Cams may suit you if you stay below 07 when they started with the EPA Bikes.

We lost the carb option in 06 but the early EFI is not bad for engine performance when tuned. You won't get the sound but cold starts and performance will be better with with EFI,

I would rather have the carbed bike because I like to do my mods and just rejet and not have to spend that 500-700 for the fuel management system and the maps. Stay below 07 and I feel you will be satisfied with the overall performance.

Old 08-18-2010, 07:55 PM
ican
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Evo vs Twin Cam

I have a 2000 FXR4 with the EVO motor, a 2009 FLHTC and a 2010 FLSTC with Twin Cam motors. Yea, the FLHTC vibrates more at idle than the FLSTC, but going down the road niether is a problem. The EVO runs cooler, and the carb is not an issue. Power is not an issue with me as I seldom ride over 80 mph. I have no problem taking the FXR4 across country, but when my wife and I are on a long trip together, I'll ride the FLHTC and she rides the FLSTC. The choice isn't based on the motor, it's the ride. For 2 up, go with the bigger bike. Don't be concerned about which motor it has. Oh, by the way, I like the EVO.

Old 08-18-2010, 08:00 PM
Road Warrior
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

The EVO aftermarket is still very much alive and well. I would not hesitate to get an EVO and long for the days when I had them. The one I should have kept was a Softtail too and I regret parting with it to this very day. I sold my last EVO (97 Ultra Classic) to a buddy of mine and I have to see it every time we ride. I had screamin' eagle heads and some other engine work and the thing will run with all the twin cams all day long. I have an early twin cam and am constantly keeping an eye open for a wrecked Ultra Classic EFI equipped EVO drive-train to put in this frame where the current TC-95 now resides. I'm still looking too!

I had an 85FXR once with over 50K on it and had to change a base gasket. When I pulled the jugs...the cross-hatch pattern was still visible in the sleeves. The MOCO did not fix a thing with the rattling TC toaster-oven and all they have done with up to now is just make it hotter.

GO FOR THE EVO!

Last edited by 0734; 08-18-2010 at 08:02 PM.
Old 08-18-2010, 08:13 PM
Joboo1966
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Love my Evo...98 custom.......If you gave me a new Harley Id sell it and by 2 more Evo's without batting an eye......I enjoy them more they even feel more like the old school Harleys did somewhat. My next scoot and one you might like is going to be a 98 a Springer what a great bike. Good luck.

Quick Reply: Evo vs. Twin Cam