General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buy the manual

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2010, 09:41 PM
2kids3pets
Elite HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

The manual can be as cheap as 10 bux...you need to just think outside the box.

Old 08-17-2010, 10:13 PM
oldairboater
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Manual is a reference that comes in handy. Some of the advice on here is wrong. I find it faster to look up torque values or fluid levels in my manual then getting on line and typing it here most days. As far as that punch in the nose crap. Nobody's tried in a long time so the line is short without any waiting.

Old 08-17-2010, 10:17 PM
Mal74
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 2kids3pets
The manual can be as cheap as 10 bux...you need to just think outside the box.

I did just that and have one of those. Then again, I got better info on changing the oil on my Heritage from this forum when another member asked a 'stupid oil change question.'

Someone posted a link that had great instructions and pics, better than what's in the manual. Looking around the site I found information on changing the transmission and primary fluids.

http://www.dudeworld.com.au/HOWTO.ENGINE.HTML

http://www.dudeworld.com.au/HOWTO.GEARBOX.HTML

http://www.dudeworld.com.au/HOWTO.PRIMARY.HTML

My opinion is if you don't want to answer a 'stupid question,' then don't make a smartass remark either.

KISS

Old 08-17-2010, 10:36 PM
rodnock
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

On most car and truck related forums there is usually someone who has a .pdf version of the service manuals for download. You don't find that on any Harley forums that I have found. If you watch the "for sale" area of this forum sometimes you can find a manual available for half the new price.

Old 08-17-2010, 10:36 PM
paud
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

this reminds me of my job...

Old 08-17-2010, 10:39 PM
coop creek
Road Captain
Received 115 Likes on 77 Posts

I have the manual. I think it is hard to follow, and user un-friendly. Absolutely no sense of humor either! The only thing it makes clear on every page is if you don't fix it right you are going to get hurt or die. Most of it I am never going to use, though it is interesting to see the inside of the transmission, etc, I guess. It is better as a reference tool once you already know how to do something.
I just replaced my throttle grip (first time adventure). A guy in the service dept explained how to re-adjust the throttle cables, it was easy. The manual does it a different way but before you even start you will have to find the "induction module"! Sounds a little scary right there.
It could use better pictures and more thorough instructions.

Old 08-18-2010, 12:09 AM
Kowan
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I used to get both the shop manual and Clymer for my bikes.
One would detail it slightly different enough in most cases to figure out what to do.

I've always recommended getting the shop manual even if you're all thumbs. If nothing else, the trouble shooting prior to taking it in to a dealer for work helps. Plus when asked for help on their bike, I have something to help me out.

Old 08-18-2010, 05:04 AM
DMas
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by coop creek
I have the manual. I think it is hard to follow, and user un-friendly. Absolutely no sense of humor either! The only thing it makes clear on every page is if you don't fix it right you are going to get hurt or die. Most of it I am never going to use, though it is interesting to see the inside of the transmission, etc, I guess. It is better as a reference tool once you already know how to do something.
I just replaced my throttle grip (first time adventure). A guy in the service dept explained how to re-adjust the throttle cables, it was easy. The manual does it a different way but before you even start you will have to find the "induction module"! Sounds a little scary right there.
It could use better pictures and more thorough instructions.
Hunh? What manual are you usin'? No sense of humor? You want humor, dude, buy Newsweek. I've found the manual very clear and it fills in the gaps in my knowledge & experience. Part of wrenching on your own is knowing when you're out of your depth and get help or let a pro have a crack at her.

As for the OP: good point, I've fond there are some guys on here who are very helpful but more and more you get the BTFM 'tude. I've found another place I go if I need help with something.

Old 08-18-2010, 05:38 AM
Rookie Carroca
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If someone posts a question, and you can help...would sure be nice if you give some advice. If you know the answer, and don't feel like responding, then don't. But there is no need to blow someone off with a snippy RTFM post.

Unless that makes you feel like a big man.

Old 08-18-2010, 05:50 AM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,113 Likes on 3,655 Posts

For most part, you will get an answer to a legit question you ask here...

Quick Reply: Buy the manual