Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New breed of bikers????

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2010, 01:07 PM
fdh161
Supporter
Received 194 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by warrconn
I'm an old fart (55), and I for one am glad to see young guys that are not into double-sided tape, cheap-*** Taiwanese bolt on crap. Go like hell, guys!!
I agree 100% (and I'm a bit older than you warrconn, so respect your elders and don't give me any $hit - LOL)

The only thing I didn't really like about the article was the writer's attempt to classify this "new breed". The essense of the book The Bikeriders was that they were what they were, with no need to classify or tag themselves as anything. What you do to your scoot is an expression of yourself, so go however you want to go.

Old 08-19-2010, 03:36 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 48,967 Likes on 17,892 Posts

Interesting reading here , I'm the old school breed got my first bike in 1970 was 16 been in the saddle ever since , never could do stock way too much Alpha Male going on . As we have gotten older I think most of us have that moment when we realize we have turned into our father's Your looking at some younger guys doing their thing and you're thinking or wanting to tell them how to do that the right way , if you stop and listen closely you can hear that faint echo in your mind of a voice saying something similar to you many yrs ago , bitch isn't it ?

Sometimes it's hard for old guys to remember our roots watching the world as it evolves and changes around us nothing is static , we're getting edged out of the gene pool and the new bucks are strutting . Old school riders were there when the " Biker " was becoming something besides Marlon Brando & The Wild One . Yes we had a harder time customizing bikes and being " real " , personally I hate that buzz word . Technology , materials , tools and parts were not what's easily available anywhere now . Only parts book around when I started was " Jammer's Handbook " all 24 pages of it and 15 of those were for honda & Brit stuff you had be creative and have some real skills if you wanted something different or you went to old 50's hot rod guys an hoped they didn't run your narrow *** off . So ya we get a bit insular about thing,s once in a while , just jealousy because we didn't have all the fun stuff to play with really .

To me the new breed are the 40+ yr old guys gals that are new riders 1st bike types ( AKA 90% of the H.O.G. population ) We have all seen this and it's some ugly stuff more times than not meaning can't ride , no road sense , fashion statements think the buzz word is " Poser " here , hate that one too , way too over opinionated for their real experience level . I respect the younger riders whatever they ride or what they ride their doing it the way they want , who the f*uck are we to judge .

For the younger guys we get it , most of us anyway . Some of us old guys have got dicks bigger than yours , we just don't have to wag them all the time . Old school bikers have a lot to share if you want to listen but ask him When he got his first bike , over 40 ain't old school ..........

Oh ya that's same bike just 28yrs later .........

Attached Thumbnails New breed of bikers????-bitch1.jpg  

Last edited by TwiZted Biker; 08-24-2010 at 01:23 AM.
Old 08-19-2010, 03:40 PM
Harley_Dude
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 102 Likes on 68 Posts

If you're talking skateboards, I am the old school.....

Old 08-19-2010, 04:33 PM
fdh161
Supporter
Received 194 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by TwiZted Biker
<snip a lot>
For the younger guys we get it , most of us anyway . Some of us old guys have got dicks bigger than yours , we just don't have to wag them all the time . Old school bikers have a lot to share if you want to listen but ask him When he got his first bike , over 40 ain't old school ..........

Oh ya that's same bike just 28yrs later .........
Bought my first bike out of the Montgomery Wards catalog (I think Monkey Wards still offered them the year you got your first, Twizt). If you can remember Riverside motorcycles from that long ago, you probably qualify. . . .

ANYONE who embraces riding motorcycles is okay by me, be they starting out at 16 or at 45. I might not like the way they dress or what they choose to ride, but at least they are on two wheels. Remember, you can't get 40 years of riding experience until you swing your leg over a scoot for the first time.

Old 08-19-2010, 05:19 PM
kerrycorcoran
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

cylindrical man...nothing is new anymore. these are rat bikes throw-backs with a slightly different look.

Old 08-19-2010, 05:31 PM
Wicked Cricket
Banned

I'm over 50 and I have this itch to buy a "48", bolt some apes and wrapped exhaust on it and have a freakin blast... my 1st HD over 30 yrs ago was a Iron Head Sporty, and these new Sportsters remind me of the old school Irons... I'd still keep my Softail though..lol But HD is smart like a fox, I just saw a new Honda commercial, inmates working on the side of the highway, these cruisers go by, 40, 50 yr old riders, and it's a Honda add. The problem for them is, they AREN'T GOING TO CONVERT any older HD riders to trade in for a Honda or any other Foeign or even Victory for the most part cruiser... they have those generations locked in...now they're going for the new blood their future, and it's working, how? by making cool bikes like they always have, genuine USA HDs... simple isn't it?! That's how you survive for 108 yrs straight and counting...LOL I salute the new blood!

Old 08-22-2010, 12:02 PM
Zig Zag 2010
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

-----------------

Last edited by Zig Zag 2010; 11-08-2011 at 09:16 AM.
Old 08-22-2010, 12:24 PM
Pagan48
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Wicked Cricket
I'm over 50 and I have this itch to buy a "48", !
Go for it Wicked. I'm 56 pushing 57 and sold my FLSTC and went out and bought a 48. Put a spring seat on it, apes and some other stuff and I'm loving it. It's the most fún I've had on a bike for some time.

New breed of bikers????-002.jpg

Old 08-22-2010, 12:31 PM
Slowpoke84
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Pagan48
Nicest 48 I've seen yet! Very cool. If I knew I was only gonna ride solo, and just needed a fun bike for around town and day rides, I'd do the same with my FLSTC (except with a Nightster). But I don't think Momma would wanna site on that fender.

Old 08-22-2010, 12:50 PM
Marshman
6th Gear

I think I am one of these 'New Breeds' too.....Should I care?

Quick Reply: New breed of bikers????