Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New breed of bikers????

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2010, 12:12 PM
angelis
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, I am one of the "younger" crowd, who is covered with ink as is my wife. The scene is just our take on the culture but also has alot of respect to what was done before us. I have taken my "new" bike and modified and chopped it up with alot of help from the older bikers, why, because they have been there and done that and have alot to teach me. How many people know how to do leading on your fender, not many of the "young" crowd, but my "older" buddy did.

And my next project is to buy a used sportster and completely rip it apart and build on old skool bobber for the wife.

We are just here to help keep the traditions alive with maybe a few tweaks.

Old 08-18-2010, 12:40 PM
csbreeze
Road Warrior

Young man you will learn more from the old bikers than from anyone else. Your wise to seek their council on things. Old school is never out of style and old school driving methods will keep you alive. Bob that bike and post some pics.

The next generation is all we have guys to keep our enjoyment alive. We did it for the generation before us. I feel like the generation before most of us were much more radical than we are and most likely more than the new generation.

Its all about the love of riding and good fellowship. Ride on.

Old 08-18-2010, 01:08 PM
wingfoot
Road Captain
Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

Ya gotta love the sattellite dish in the ears....

Old 08-18-2010, 01:32 PM
TerryFXST
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnny_Ringo
dudes are real in this scene.
A big "hell yeah" for being real! That's what motorcycle culture in general needs more of, being real. You don't need to be a "biker" or a caricature thereof, just be a dude* who rides.

*or a chick who rides, of course

Last edited by TerryFXST; 08-18-2010 at 01:44 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 08-18-2010, 01:32 PM
poppa steve
Advanced

More power to them I say. They are just carving out their nich in the riding culture. As far as the body art and modification I don't get but to each his own. My nephew looks like a walking pin cushion LOL. This group isn't any different from a lot of others, sport bikers hang together, cruiser riders, touring guys, car clubs whatever. The bikes look pretty cool, their not for me but who cares? The thing we all have in common is the feeling we all get from having the wind in our face and going through the gears and just feeling free.JMO. Ride safe.

Old 08-18-2010, 02:02 PM
Bike-R-Mike
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

it's like they want an old ironhead or triumph bonny but don't want to wrench on it or deal with the hassle of owning an old bike
That statment puts anyone owning a Heritage Classic in a rather bad light , doesn't it ? What's the difference between what these young guys are doing and what guys did back in the 50's , 60's and 70's when they chopped and bobbed perfectly good Harley Davidsons ? If a person wants the old school look , but the reliability of newer tachknology , then what better way to get that than to buy a new or nearly new bike and make it look as old or whatever as you want it to . These guys are bringing new blood and new ideas into what has always been an evolving lifestly . Weather they buy brand new bikes and distroy them to make them look the way they want or buy the bikes that no one wants and piece them together to make themselves a bike , more power to them and I for one welcome them ALL as fellow bikers or riders . The TRUE spirit of riding comes from the guys who put hours into their bikes , working sometimes in little sheds or old barns and make thier bikes their own . Making them look good weather their are newer or older . NOT by the guys who have THREE Harley's in their garage that are all new within the last few years .

Old 08-18-2010, 02:03 PM
faber
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by bparsel
I dont think any chopped xs650 qualifies as being a "Bolt On" bike. Kinda contradicted yourself in that paragraph.
A lot of them buy them that way.

These guys arent just bolting stuff on their bikes, a lot of them are learning how to do this stuff themselves and it's awesome. Check out ledsledcustoms.com if you wanna see some of the baddest stuff hitting the streets these days. This whole scene is exactly what motorcycling needed. A change in the status quo to keep it alive. Otherwise when some of you old guys pass on, our beloved HD may be right along with you.
I'm not an "old guy" either, but not 21 And I rather thought I said good things about them. I rather think they're onto something good.

Old 08-18-2010, 02:13 PM
wuzfuz
Tourer
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

As long as these guys are in the wind on 2 wheels whadda **** does it matter what any of us think? When I'm out on my shovelhead the "kids" really pay attention and ask intelligent questions, the chromed up, dew ragged dip ***** probably are afraid to ask about it as they would show their ignorance and lack of mechanical ability. I'll ride with the new guys any time.
WUZFUZ

Old 08-18-2010, 02:48 PM
Wicked Cricket
Banned

I like it, HDs marketing the reborn Sportsters, cool looking bikes is working, it's bringing in young riders to the HD family, I'm all for it...

Old 08-18-2010, 02:50 PM
GREENOHAWK69
Stellar HDF Member
Received 565 Likes on 337 Posts

Originally Posted by camshaks
I'm with you!!! Seems like people in the "Harley" community like to sit back and judge others bikes, clothes, hairstyles, ect. while posing on their bikes. See em all the time at bike nights and such. You know the type, the ones who pay the dealership 200 bucks to change their oil!
Speaking of sitting back and judging...hmmm (...$200 oil change...). ALL groups judge other groups, period, some are more upfront / in-your-face about it. ***** happens. Move on.

As has been stated before, glad more peeps are on 2 wheels. I like this scene as I LUV the music. Some cool bikes also.

Quick Reply: New breed of bikers????