General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New breed of bikers????

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2010, 08:58 AM
faber
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by FastHoss
Those upstart wannabes! Why I bet they don't even own a trailer........

Old 08-18-2010, 09:16 AM
faber
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I live in a college town and travel to others for work. (I work at a college.) I park my bike on campus in the "corral" with all of them and talk bikes once in a while.

Sure, this new "scene" is the latest way to blow taxpayer-subsidized financial aid dollars. Been going strong for a few years now.

To their detriment: like any "scene" it is not as individual as it claims to be. There is a look and a style to it. Somewhere between modern ink/rod culture, metal, and skater/snowboarder/X Games. It's amazing how much money they spend on full sleeves and dozens of piercings, shoes and jeans.

To their merit: this new "scene" owes nothing to the "Easy Rider" generation and would treat a 1%er like anyone else and not schitt their pants when one walks around. They would not be caught dead at a HOG meeting or a local bike night. They do their own thing in the far parking lots on campus or at the mall. They also are not driven by brand of bikes: I see about as many chopped/bobbed Yamaha 650s as I do Harleys. Their mods are all bolt on, though. They order rear fenders, sissy bars, etc. These kids grew up behind computers and video games, after all, and not in the shop with dad. But they have a vision, a style, and an attitude that is respectably their generation's. These kids, despite their conformity in their own "scene" (like any of us when we were younger), are much more open-minded and accepting of all comers than many would think. They really are. One kid I know from the "corral" is a business major, all khakis and clean-cut. He rides the baddest bobbed 650 out there. Looks like something from Zero. Could easily make The Horse. Did it all himself. And he is out there with the guys who have grommets in their ears.

Still, I just crack up when I see these kids in line at the food bank in November and March because they blew all their semester's financial aid $$$n on bolt-ons and ink.

Old 08-18-2010, 09:29 AM
Certainteed
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by faber
I live in a college town and travel to others for work. (I work at a college.) I park my bike on campus in the "corral" with all of them and talk bikes once in a while.

Sure, this new "scene" is the latest way to blow taxpayer-subsidized financial aid dollars. Been going strong for a few years now.

To their detriment: like any "scene" it is not as individual as it claims to be. There is a look and a style to it. Somewhere between modern ink/rod culture, metal, and skater/snowboarder/X Games. It's amazing how much money they spend on full sleeves and dozens of piercings, shoes and jeans.

To their merit: this new "scene" owes nothing to the "Easy Rider" generation and would treat a 1%er like anyone else and not schitt their pants when one walks around. They would not be caught dead at a HOG meeting or a local bike night. They do their own thing in the far parking lots on campus or at the mall. They also are not driven by brand of bikes: I see about as many chopped/bobbed Yamaha 650s as I do Harleys. Their mods are all bolt on, though. They order rear fenders, sissy bars, etc. These kids grew up behind computers and video games, after all, and not in the shop with dad. But they have a vision, a style, and an attitude that is respectably their generation's. These kids, despite their conformity in their own "scene" (like any of us when we were younger), are much more open-minded and accepting of all comers than many would think. They really are. One kid I know from the "corral" is a business major, all khakis and clean-cut. He rides the baddest bobbed 650 out there. Looks like something from Zero. Could easily make The Horse. Did it all himself. And he is out there with the guys who have grommets in their ears.

Still, I just crack up when I see these kids in line at the food bank in November and March because they blew all their semester's financial aid $$$n on bolt-ons and ink.

some of them are just posing for the scene. but some... man. they're so refreshingly real.

i met a guy who's woman walked out on him last year. he's sitting on his couch drinking beer with his heart in his throat. he says to himself "wtf am i going to do now?"

on his coffee table was a copy of the horse.

so he thumbs through it. then picks up the phone and calls his best friend. he says "lets build choppers and go to smoke out"

so they build two rigid hondas. his second ride EVER, he goes to nashville to meet the long-ride group on their way to rockingham.

i drank corn liquor with this guy. he was right-on. a straight shooter. not full of macho ****. a fair-minded man.

he was green as they come to bikerin' but took to it like he'd been doing it his whole life. it doesn't take a lot of effort to let go of your bullshit and raise hell.

he says to us "i haven't done a burn out yet". 10 minutes later his pipes are glowing red, theres a crowd of people around his bike, and some sweet little blonde is siting on his tank while he throws sand on everyone.

him and his buddy got on their handbuilt choppers and rolled home.

the new crowd attracts some douches. but it also attracts a high percentage of seriously cool people.

Old 08-18-2010, 09:40 AM
fxdx-fly-by
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

so what if im 24 have tattoos up my arm and wear skate clothes...IM ONE OF THOSE PEOPLE!!

Old 08-18-2010, 09:53 AM
bparsel
Tourer
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by faber

I dont think any chopped xs650 qualifies as being a "Bolt On" bike. Kinda contradicted yourself in that paragraph. These guys arent just bolting stuff on their bikes, a lot of them are learning how to do this stuff themselves and it's awesome. Check out ledsledcustoms.com if you wanna see some of the baddest stuff hitting the streets these days. This whole scene is exactly what motorcycling needed. A change in the status quo to keep it alive. Otherwise when some of you old guys pass on, our beloved HD may be right along with you.

Old 08-18-2010, 10:07 AM
cotnballs
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I dressed like a punk/skater and played in a band in High School 20 plus years ago. It shows in the way I dress today. Are they really doing any thing new, well probably not. Ink is more main stream now then it was 20 years ago.

Old 08-18-2010, 10:40 AM
csbreeze
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why do we even care what they wear or do? If they are on two wheels and happy to ride I am happy for them. Young people are normally poor. Wearing HD clothing cost money. What is the norm for a biker? Far as I know they ride outside of that I have seen some crazy stuff on motorcycles. Me I am not part of any group outside of HOG. I most times keep my distance from HOG ust because of the clicks that they have. Ride enjoy and keep the shiney side up guys.

Old 08-18-2010, 10:43 AM
camshaks
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by *NIGHT TRAIN*
I don't recall ever asking anyone's permission or approval for anything I've ever done to my bikes.

Also don't expect anyone to live up (or) down to my standards.

That site looked like some guys who like to ride havin' fun doin' their own thing...
and yeah, I liked some of it...

More power to 'em...
I'm with you!!! Seems like people in the "Harley" community like to sit back and judge others bikes, clothes, hairstyles, ect. while posing on their bikes. See em all the time at bike nights and such. You know the type, the ones who pay the dealership 200 bucks to change their oil!

Old 08-18-2010, 11:15 AM
shopewell
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There's a guy that lives up by me that I see riding down the hill all the time on his sporty with a skateboard strapped to his back. Gotta get to the skate park somehow, why not do it in style?

Old 08-18-2010, 11:34 AM
Tony P
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 350 Likes on 217 Posts

[QUOTE=rdam;7157778]"His ‘09 black and copper sportster represents what is now and whats great about our scene"

Apparently, part of their scene is jamming napkin rings in their ears...But...Ok, whatever.

Not harming me or mine, or anybody else, so knock yourself out.

However. It's just another brand of pirate. Different tattoos, clothing and jewlery. Still pirates.[/QUOTE]

Aargh! What's wrong with pirates? What's wrong with being middle-aged, pot-bellied, shirt tucked in geezer on a bagger? Or a greasy, long-haired, tatted rebel without a cause? Or a RUB? Or a short and sandal wearing fool on a softail? Damn... I must be an equal opportunity hater on everyone redneck! For me, one of the added benefits about motorcycling is meeting all the different, stereotypical groups. Hell, that's part of the fun. You'd think I shot the Pope when I first wore my 3/4 gold flake Fulmer. Now 3/4's are all the rage.

Quick Reply: New breed of bikers????