General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New breed of bikers????

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2010, 09:11 PM
babalu
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnny_Ringo
i didnt get that at all from the article. but its pretty much what you see at the dealership. i found it to be accurate with my experience there and the people who seem to hang around now.

most guys like me with new bikes mod the fenders/lights/struts, things like that. im not trying to make it looks like my dads old superglide. i happen to like a lot of the merging roland sands does with street/sport bikes. my buddy is period correct in everything. yet we still are considered part of the same scene.

the guys with kick starts have usually built their bikes from the ground up from a craigslist pan or shovel find. ive never seen someone add a kick to a new sporty. if i did, i would probably not understand, same as you. and most of these guys dont have money, which is why some of the bikes are ugly as hell, because its basically a scrap heap weld up.

the scene isnt as prohibitive as you seem to think it is. ive seen runs with chopped yamahas, harleys, triumphs, etc. its about loving bikes. working on your own bikes. having fun.
to be honest with you i've seen a lot of posers involved in this style too. i had a 98 sporty i chopped up, dropped, rebuilt the top end with large pistons, worked heads, put apes on it, chopped the struts it looked good but i recently sold it.

i now have a "cookie cutter" fatboy but i just rebuilt and rejetted the carb because the guy before me obviously just garaged it for five years. i do all my work myself and enjoy doing it.

i'm just a dude, i ride my bike everywhere, everyday, all the time... i'm sure to some i would look like a RUB riding around in my work clothes probably boat shoes, khaki's, and collared shirt. but really i do it because i don't make an event out of riding it's just how i get around, and i don't need to "dress the part" to go do it.

and yes these "new breed of bikers" are dressing the part and just as much into showing off as your pirates at the dealerships.

Old 08-17-2010, 09:36 PM
piasspj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 339 Likes on 195 Posts

Guess I don't understand the question. I've ridden with lots of guys who bought what we could afford and fixed them the same way. We made some parts and made others fit. Some of those bikes would make Dr. Frankenstein cringe.
Sportsters would be a good choice of bike to customize. Plenty of them around and they seem to be getting cheaper.

Old 08-17-2010, 10:24 PM
warrconn
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm an old fart (55), and I for one am glad to see young guys that are not into double-sided tape, cheap-*** Taiwanese bolt on crap. Go like hell, guys!!

Old 08-17-2010, 10:36 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 819 Likes on 805 Posts

Haven't seen that.... only thing is seems a lot of youngers buying Sporties theses days.. mostly cause they can't afford more..

Old 08-17-2010, 11:12 PM
Zig Zag 2010
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

-------------------------

Last edited by Zig Zag 2010; 11-08-2011 at 08:51 AM.
Old 08-17-2010, 11:24 PM
Slowpoke84
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's just Harley's marketing genius in action. These new generation of bikers will (hopefully) keep H-D alive for many years to come.

http://www.harley-davidson.com/en_US...rk-custom.html

Old 08-17-2010, 11:39 PM
nytryder
Elite HDF Member
Received 297 Likes on 177 Posts

Looks like a good time to me. Been thinkin about building an old Shovel or 1200 Sporty for awhile. Just something to play with. Watching those guys put me in mind of the 60's and 70, for sure. Those were some of the best times of my life.

Old 08-18-2010, 12:40 AM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 49,022 Likes on 17,919 Posts

Aside from the pretty painted wheels and the blockhead motor looks like what we did to any sport that fell into our drunken drugged out hands around 40 yrs ago . Learned a valuable life lesson about chopping bikes then . 4 long hairs , 2 bottles of Tequila , assorted acid tabs and a 1 gallon can of bondo does not make for a happy owner in the cold morning light ..........

Old 08-18-2010, 01:28 AM
midnight2005
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you just noticed this? go take a look into the sporty section! We buy the bike cause it has what we like. Then we make it our own, something that reflects us. Now for the earrings? That's another story. lol

Old 08-18-2010, 02:49 AM
kiwideuce
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 115 Likes on 86 Posts

i think its a cool scene,good to see the younger guys getting into it and appreciating some older stuff, the new stuff to clean and sterile, dont no about the stretched ear lobes though! thats ridiculous, the bikes chucks etc cool!

Quick Reply: New breed of bikers????