Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New breed of bikers????

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2010, 01:07 PM
TerryFXST
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by lfmn16
Since this was his first AND last post, I think you are right. A clumsy, stupid, obvious attempt at marketing.
Well, 141 responses and counting. I'd say it's a relevant topic to a lot of people regardless of his motivation for posting it.

Old 08-25-2010, 01:52 PM
CRF
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 32vld
"Painful fact. These young guys with the fk'd up ear lobes are NOT keeping the MOCO going.
Young guys chopping up early 90's sporties isn't going to keep the MOCO in business."

Need the young no money guys to buy the bottom end used Harley's. It's the circle of life.

They guy with the 95 HD nees these guys to buy his bike so he can afford to buy a 00 HD from the guy who owns the 00 because he needs the money to buy an 05 form the guy who needs to sell his 05 so he can buy a 2011 HD.

Once the bottom feeder's get hooked on HD's they eventually move up the bike chain themselves.
this is a great post. Hits the nail pretty much on the head. Plus; where do you think the moco is getting all these "new" dark custom ideas from that they are doing to the new sportster line? it's these guys chopping them up and blacking them out that are creating the market for the new sportsters, Street bobs etc. Its just like in the 60s and 70s - the 1% bike clubs were chopping bikes to a certain style which the moco then stole and applied to the new bikes that then created the market for that style which beget the superglide, softail, dyna wide glide etc.....

Old 08-25-2010, 01:58 PM
DMV11982
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like the look...but would never do it to my bike..a buddy of mine has a nightster and has cafed it out a little bit..it looks great..just not my style..great thing about owning a Harley, you can make it YOURS

Old 08-25-2010, 04:37 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 48,654 Likes on 17,761 Posts

Have worked in auto manufacturing industry over 20 yrs and having intimate knowledge of costs involved the fact the great masses are willing paying up $30,000 for a 2 wheeled machine not weighing 900 lbs is frightening really . I love my HD don't get me wrong but I'd rather put that kinda change in my own retirement account not the company coffers . When then the pricing becomes balanced with the actual product produced I may jump the New band wagon till then enjoy sheep .

Old 08-25-2010, 07:00 PM
Wicked Cricket
Banned

Originally Posted by CRF
this is a great post. Hits the nail pretty much on the head. Plus; where do you think the moco is getting all these "new" dark custom ideas from that they are doing to the new sportster line? it's these guys chopping them up and blacking them out that are creating the market for the new sportsters, Street bobs etc. Its just like in the 60s and 70s - the 1% bike clubs were chopping bikes to a certain style which the moco then stole and applied to the new bikes that then created the market for that style which beget the superglide, softail, dyna wide glide etc.....
Bingo CRF! HD has always fed the aftermarket and vice versa... it's the American hot rod way, same as the auto industry. It's why the fur-in-ers are always 10 steps behind...

Old 08-25-2010, 08:31 PM
traveler
Extreme HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

You ask me not to make generalizations....but looking at a guy and calling him a RUB is you doing the same thing.

Sorry....but these guys with the 1 inch holes in their ears look like bunch of kids that haven't grown up yet.

~Joe

Old 08-25-2010, 08:34 PM
traveler
Extreme HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by bparsel
Wow, how's that cave you're living in treating you?
I don't know.....hows the illusion that looks don't matter in the business world working out for you???

You show up like that to a job interview I'm giving, and I'm not going to even talk to you. Same as if you show up in anything other than a suit. First impressions last.

Appearance matters when you actually want a job.

~Joe

Last edited by traveler; 08-25-2010 at 08:38 PM.
Old 08-25-2010, 08:38 PM
warrconn
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by CRF
You are 100 percent right

Old 08-25-2010, 09:13 PM
Certainteed
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by traveler
I don't know.....hows the illusion that looks don't matter in the business world working out for you???

You show up like that to a job interview I'm giving, and I'm not going to even talk to you. Same as if you show up in anything other than a suit. First impressions last.

Appearance matters when you actually want a job.

~Joe
lol dude where i work the engineers all hve ink and piercings. my company doesn't judge on appearances and we attract some kickass talent.

exclusive conformity is bullshit. the new breed knows it.

Old 08-25-2010, 09:15 PM
stef
Cruiser

Originally Posted by "Dutch"
Disclaimer: I read about 5-6 pages...I got it. Here is my 2 wooded nickles.

I read Cycle Source, The Horse, and AIM. The whole "new" generation of riders (the ones discussed here), are to me a breath of fresh air, in a way. This group looks back to the past (some here may remember as memories) and acknowledges the art, the style, and honors it by replicating it. Yeah, I have a "factory" bike. But I am not trying to imitate them. I am being me. I look at the 70's style of biker and remember those guys that rode past my house when I was 8 or 9. It left a mark. I look at my "factory" bike, think about how I can traslate what I saw growing up into my bike, my look, and be me.

To those with full sleeves, ear things, and skater tennis shoes; go get it. Whatever it is you want in this culture; go get it. I am glad to see a group of people standing "out there" telling everyone "I am doing something different." As they say; There is strengh in numbers.
Well said. -stef

Quick Reply: New breed of bikers????