General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

motor issues need help

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2010, 11:00 AM
EW1959
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default motor issues need help

I posted earlier about the amount of oil my '10 Heritage was using. New update:
After 1k miles dealer changed oil, and I drove it home and rode the **** out of it.
At 1800 miles checked oil and not touching stick so I called dealer to ask why so much oil is gone. Answer not clear so I ride it to dealer. We discussed options of oil was low when I left the dealer the first time or they said that it is common for bike to lose oil due to heat. They changed the oil and filter in good faith.
At 2500 miles it was barely touching the dipstick so back to the dealership again with attiude and intensions of leaving it for them to keep. I showed my a$$ and they tried to resolve my anger and took bike into shop to check it out. The head service tech told me that the amount of oil lost is minimal. I calmed down.
They topped off the oil and sent me on my way. I thought to myself I'm not checking the oil every freeking day this is a brand new bike.

I rode the bike another 1k, later on some of the guys wanted to ride for maybe 4-5 hundred miles so I checked the oil again and just as usual barely touching stick. I put a half quart of oil in thinking what the tech said that oil loss is minimal. We rode 500 miles round trip,the following weekend I rode for another 350 miles.

That puts me at 4500 miles on bike and looking at the 5k service. The guys wanted to go for another ride so I checked the oil and had to put almost 3/4 quart of oil to get it back to where it should be.

With all that being said, its had 2 oil changes and at least 2 1/2 quarts of oil added and ahs not had the 5k oil change yet. I need advice

Old 08-15-2010, 11:25 AM
geezer glide 56
Road Warrior
Received 102 Likes on 38 Posts

Are you checking your oil with the engine at normal operating temp?...If you are checking it in the morning when it has sat for several hours...It is possible that the oil has drained into the crankcase...Do not add any oil after checking the oil when the bike has been sitting for a long time as you might be over filling it which will cause oil consumption among other problems...read your owners manual it has a lot of good information in it.

Old 08-15-2010, 11:28 AM
Joboo1966
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default no worries

I just talked to a HD mechanic localy bout your post. he reccomends going to a different shop if it concerns you that much. He said that if you arent seeing evidence of a leak on the ground theres probably not a leak. Its possible that your not loosing any oil at all and that its still in the bike but returning propperly to the oil tanl...maybe a circulation issue...he said just the description you offer does not match the dealers answer and that they are full of poop......evap of that much oil in the 2010's is unlikely.

He reccomends not riding it on long trips until its resolved....facts are the oils not in the tank it or on the ground it must be someplace...I have a custom evo and I never lost a drop and the dipstick is always dead on......bottom line find a different dealer cuz somethings not right internaly.

Old 08-15-2010, 11:47 AM
wlbowers
Stellar HDF Member

Received 101 Likes on 44 Posts

If you check the engine cold and then check it when it is hot the level will be different. More oil in the engine.

If it's not dripping oil, puking it out the breather, it's eating it.

Pull the plugs and check the color. If it is burning oil it will be noticeable. You can access a plug color chart here. It might not be as bad as the oil fouled plug in the chart but you get the idea.

Call Harley and explain the problem. Explain to them in a calm manner that every time you check the oil it's almost a qt low, and you are tired of the dealer telling you fairy tales. You do expect the issue to be resolved.

Be nice. They will give you a case number that you will give to the dealer. It's kind of you will fix this.

I had to do that with my 2006 Low Rider. 1 month out of warranty and the trans bearing went out. Didn't cost me a dime.

Don't call monday morning or at lunch.

Customer support page
414-343-4056

Old 08-15-2010, 11:56 AM
harleyriv
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As the last poster says if it's not leaking it must be burning it - Is there any oil residue at the exit of the mufflers? Ask a friend to look for smoke on the overun - otherwise, have a chat with another dealer or independent....

Old 08-15-2010, 12:02 PM
Faast Ed
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Softails are known for drainiing down to the sump when parked. Not all do, but many have.

As said earlier, never check it without running it warm first (when looking for an accurate reading). You will over fill it otherwise, then send the overfilled oil out the breather into your throttlebody. Yuk. Instant carbon buildup.

Old 08-15-2010, 12:26 PM
EW1959
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I check it cold and then crank it and let it warm up three to five minutes and shut it off. I pull the dipstick out wipe it off and put it back in and check it again. Is that not enough time to warm up? If I were to be putting to much in wouldn't it build up pressure and blow back out while at maximum operating temps? Is 5 minutes long enough time to warm up to check properly?

Old 08-15-2010, 12:29 PM
harleyriv
Road Master

Originally Posted by Goobernogin
I check it cold and then crank it and let it warm up three to five minutes and shut it off. I pull the dipstick out wipe it off and put it back in and check it again. Is that not enough time to warm up? If I were to be putting to much in wouldn't it build up pressure and blow back out while at maximum operating temps? Is 5 minutes long enough time to warm up to check properly?
5 mins is nowhere near enough...but if your'e checking it cold why also check it when hot?

Old 08-15-2010, 12:54 PM
Faast Ed
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Goobernogin
Completely at operating temperature, pull into the garage from a nice warm-up run, then let it run at idle for 30 seconds.

Too much oil will "blow back" out the breather tubes which run directly to your throttle body.

Another hint: Halfway between add/full is much better than keeping it at the full mark. Many bikes will take it down to that point on their own, fooling the rider into thinking he has excessive consumption. At the halfway mark they seem to quit "consuming".

Old 08-15-2010, 12:57 PM
harleyriv
Road Master

Originally Posted by faaast ed

''....another hint: Halfway between add/full is much better than keeping it at the full mark. Many bikes will take it down to that point on their own, fooling the rider into thinking he has excessive consumption. At the halfway mark they seem to quit "consuming".
wtf?......

Quick Reply: motor issues need help