General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hoka Hey interview with the winner

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2010, 09:06 AM
excalibur
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jcr
Do t want to sound to negtive but does anyone really believe that for 8 days getting less than 1.2 hours of sleep a night and you still are able to function enough to ride. Been through several elite military schools where sleep deprivation is a way to run people off and believe me motivated, rich smart does not fight fatigue any more than any "normal" person. Not sure what went on.
Wish I could have given it a shot, but somebody has to work.
Congrats to the riders!
There are several riders who were up front and unmedicated who believe that this is possible because they did it too. I was also surprised and I have since spoken to various medical types and done more research. Those who did this were definitely outliers but you would expect to find a few outliers in a group of several hundred motivated and prepared individuals

I did try hard to prepare for sleep deprivation but there is not a lot you can do in advance. I also did a lot during the ride to minimize my need for sleep.

I was also very tired at times and I think I would have finished a bit sooner had I slept more. The hard part is maintaining good judgement regarding your own state even while you are sleep deprived.

Old 10-25-2010, 09:12 AM
excalibur
Novice

Originally Posted by babalu
you hate when wealthy people win all that money, but i suppose only the rich or the unemployed can take off on an 8500 mile bike race.
I don't hate it when wealthy people win, but just for the record, I was "all in" to do this ride and had I not won, would have had to sell the bike immediately afterward to continue to pay the bills.

Old 10-25-2010, 09:21 AM
excalibur
Novice

Originally Posted by IRideMineEverywhere
Excalibur. Congratulations on your epic win.
Next year I'll be entering the ride and fully intend on winning.
I am interested in the 400-600 calorie liquid meals you spoke of in the interview. Were they something that you developed, in which case I won't ask for the ingredients, or were they something that I could purchase from my local health food store or supermarket? I don't think I could survive on the granola bars I had intened on using.
Any more information you could give on your diet during the ride would be appreciated.
Congratulations once again on an excellent ride and win.
I had a lot of good advice regarding diet and carried a variety of foods. I am considering a seminar for those interested in optimizing their performance in next year's Hoka Hey which would include information on a variety of topics including diet.

In the meantime I am working on a website and learning to tweet.

Thanks to all for the congrats and good wishes. Riders are a great crowd. I may be scarce online for a couple of days as I am driving cross country and may not have internet til late in the week but will endeavor to answer questions and stay available on this forum whenever I can.