Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hoka Hey interview with the winner

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2010, 06:05 AM
TXSwede
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

I have done some serious riding in my day, but I couldn't have done what it took to finish first in this go-round. Good job man. You are one intense human being!
And Babalu, dude I have taken off and ridden 8500+ miles, quite a few times in my life, while neither being rich or unemployed. Just smarter'n you I guess.

Old 10-13-2010, 06:25 AM
xFreebirdx
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

Congrats man, thats one hell of a ride.

Old 10-14-2010, 04:17 PM
IronAss
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 12,240 Likes on 4,779 Posts

Originally Posted by excalibur
I am looking for sponsors too, this one cost about $7k plus the bike. One could do it a bit cheaper if they were not trying to be competitive. One could also spend a lot more in an effort to be more competitive.

I am also considering sponsoring a rider or two for a variety or reasons.
Ya...If you include my lost wages from work (I took off much more time then I really needed) it cost me close to 15 grand. I think I could do it for about half that if I run it again.

I'm on the road and moving every day so it's close to impossible to meet with anyone and discuss sponsorship but I'm trying cause I'd really like to do it again.

Between reading about how you did it and learning from my own mistakes I think I could be much more competitive then I was in the first one. If I'm unable to run it next year I will be looking for a rider to help out as well. Can't do allot but every little bit helps and I know there are plenty of them that could use even a small amount to help offset the cost.

Old 10-14-2010, 04:27 PM
IronAss
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 12,240 Likes on 4,779 Posts

Originally Posted by babalu
you hate when wealthy people win all that money, but i suppose only the rich or the unemployed can take off on an 8500 mile bike race.
Tell ya somethin dude. I'm about as far from rich as you can get and I was unemployed while I did this ride (I don't get paid if I ain't workin). I am paying now and will be for many more months for what it cost me to do this thing and I have not one regret. I normally am getting ready to go home soon but will stay out here on the road working to pay off the bills I ran up running the Challenge.

I met one guy that sold his jeep and a bunch of personal **** to get the $$$ to be able to ride it. I guess it's all in how much you want to do something.

Like I said I ain't anywhere close to being wealthy and don't know if the winner is or not but I don't begrudge anyone for doing well. whether it's in a Motorcycle competition or just in life itself.

Old 10-14-2010, 06:25 PM
Wecroft
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Great read!
It's not often that we hear from the winner of such an adventure but to not only hear the story straight from you but also the fact you joined this forum to tell it is commendable.

Old 10-14-2010, 06:34 PM
Wecroft
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by babalu
you hate when wealthy people win all that money, but i suppose only the rich or the unemployed can take off on an 8500 mile bike race.
I see you've been a member for six months and haven't made any friends yet. I wonder why?

Old 10-14-2010, 06:41 PM
babalu
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Wecroft
I see you've been a member for six months and haven't made any friends yet. I wonder why?
yeah maybe after nearly four years like you i can amass a whole 6 friends like you have in your profile...

Old 10-14-2010, 07:52 PM
jcr
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do t want to sound to negtive but does anyone really believe that for 8 days getting less than 1.2 hours of sleep a night and you still are able to function enough to ride. Been through several elite military schools where sleep deprivation is a way to run people off and believe me motivated, rich smart does not fight fatigue any more than any "normal" person. Not sure what went on.
Wish I could have given it a shot, but somebody has to work.
Congrats to the riders!

Old 10-14-2010, 08:00 PM
IRideMineEverywhere
Tourer

Excalibur. Congratulations on your epic win.
Next year I'll be entering the ride and fully intend on winning.
I am interested in the 400-600 calorie liquid meals you spoke of in the interview. Were they something that you developed, in which case I won't ask for the ingredients, or were they something that I could purchase from my local health food store or supermarket? I don't think I could survive on the granola bars I had intened on using.
Any more information you could give on your diet during the ride would be appreciated.
Congratulations once again on an excellent ride and win.

Old 10-15-2010, 05:51 AM
C O L E M A N F U
Road Captain

Talked with the winner yesterday - very sharp dude. Not my deal but I do respect what it takes to win or just do something like this and I enjoyed following it on the interweb as it went down.

They are in town (Biketoberfest)promoting the next HHC. Check out the winning coin.

EX - Thanks for the stickers and hope you enjoy your stay at the beach. Keep it safe!

Last edited by C O L E M A N F U; 10-15-2010 at 06:01 AM.

Quick Reply: Hoka Hey interview with the winner