Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hoka Hey interview with the winner

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2010, 05:38 PM
DGDeuce
Club Member
Received 5,744 Likes on 2,328 Posts

Nice that he gave everyone a 20 minute headstart. Mighty sporting.

Old 10-06-2010, 07:07 PM
anickel
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good read!

Old 10-06-2010, 07:30 PM
klap
Road Master
Received 242 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by excalibur

Sometimes I get in trouble for being too focused. I guess it worked this time. I will be happy to field questions here about Hoka Hey 2010 and share what I am learning about 2011. I hope all who can ride it choose to do so.

..big congrats !!!!..

Old 10-12-2010, 04:08 PM
excalibur
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by IronAss
First off..Congrats!! I rode it as well and really would like to do 2011 but have to try and find a sponsor. 2010 hit my bank account pretty hard. You know anyone that maybe has come into a little $$$ recently?? (Hint, Hint). Just kidding.
I am looking for sponsors too, this one cost about $7k plus the bike. One could do it a bit cheaper if they were not trying to be competitive. One could also spend a lot more in an effort to be more competitive.

I am also considering sponsoring a rider or two for a variety or reasons.

Old 10-12-2010, 04:28 PM
excalibur
Novice

Originally Posted by 1goindiesel
Well by this fellas account, if one is spending more than about 1.2 hrs of every 24 stopped (not rolling) AND one is otherwise also following the rules one will be running the next H.H. for the fun and not the profit of it (all things being approx equal to this past race...um unrace.
Excalibur, congrats to you sir for pulling this monster off and winning, truly an epic adventure.
My longest ride was 9000 miles border to border and sea to sea plus interior zigzags and it took three weeks (and a large Grey Goose budget)!!
It just is beyond comprehension to me that he could be riding/rolling an avg of almost 23 hrs a day!!!
Your right about the fellow riders on these trips (mine have been mostly affilliated with Posse/HOG journeys) they are the best guys/gals in the world.
Congrats again
Thanks to all for the congrats. The negativity is dying down. The event DID go off. They DID pay off, and the majority of finishers including myself would do it again even with the financial motive removed. I spent this weekend supporting the Annual ride for Camp Boggy Creek (for seriously ill children) as Grand Marshall. Over the years this event has raised millions for this worthy cause and this has been another example of the Hoka Hey indirectly benefiting worthy charities.

It was certainly over 22 hours per day rolling even with fuel stops. I think I could have finished sooner though if I had slept one more time in Alaska before the finish. the last 100 miles was a real struggle and was slow. I also lost several hours to confusion due to fatigue over the course of the event. Overall I believe I would have finished faster if I had slept a bit more - next year. . .

I am a relative newcomer to the Harley community and have to reiterate that I am extremely impressed with the caliber of its members. Their positive energy and support have made me a better person and I am learning quickly from many of them. The guys running up front that I had the most contact with were all supporting each other. I never saw anyone take advantage of another's misfortune and I repeatedly saw riders accept a delay or take a risk to help another challenger, this among challengers who were certainly in the running and competing for the prize.

Old 10-12-2010, 05:08 PM
knewt5
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Much Respect

Old 10-12-2010, 05:39 PM
BobStreetBob
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Excaliber, my hat's off to you. Congratulations.

Old 10-12-2010, 06:15 PM
wheel752
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I am humbled....

Old 10-12-2010, 06:50 PM
TxCowboy
Road Captain

A really good read! Thanks for posting!

Old 10-12-2010, 08:07 PM
babalu
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

you hate when wealthy people win all that money, but i suppose only the rich or the unemployed can take off on an 8500 mile bike race.

Quick Reply: Hoka Hey interview with the winner