Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help With Deciphering ECM Report

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2010, 06:49 PM
SciFiGuy
Road Master
Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Help With Deciphering ECM Report

Took the bike in for it's 10 K service today and when it was ready the service writer hands me a couple of pages of data that he explained to me was something the started doing with the K services called a Birth Certificate

Anyway they hook up to the ECM to the computer while the bike is running to get the data.

Service writer tells me everything is fine with the bike but I was hoping some with maybe a little more experience could take a look and let me know. You can see from the attached pics that it gives you a value and a Min and Max. The only things that I'm worried about is the battery voltage @ 13.10 Volts the Injector Time Rear @ 2.48 ms .2 ms below the Min value, and the A/F Ratio which it states in Rich.

Bike is a 2009 Street Glide with SE A/C Stage I download, Vance & Hines Twin Slash Monster Oval's and a Vance and Hines Ful Pak running the recommended map.

I'm guessing that they would of had to unplug the Ful Pak to be able to plug into the ECM which is what I'm hoping would have caused the Rich A/F ratio.

Anyway any help would be appreciated.

Attached Thumbnails Help With Deciphering ECM Report-10-k-ecm-rpt-001.jpg   Help With Deciphering ECM Report-10-k-ecm-rpt-002.jpg  
Old 08-14-2010, 09:06 PM
32vld
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

13.4 vs 13.1

One if your battery is not going dead then don't worry about .3 volts.
All you can do is to make sure that all the battery and charging system wire connections are clean and tight.

Then hook up a volt meter to see if once you raise RPMs the battery voltage should raise, indicating system normal.

"SE A/C Stage I download, Vance & Hines Twin Slash Monster Oval's and a Vance and Hines Ful Pak running the recommended map"

"Injector Time Rear @ 2.48 ms .2 ms below the Min value, and the A/F Ratio which it states in Rich."

Your engine will run rich because all the things you have done will make the engine run rich.

This is why at idle the computer has cut back the injector time. It see's that the engine is rich with your set up and the injector does not have to be on as long as a stock set up.

These readings are taken from an ALDL conector. This is where the scan tool is hooked up to get this data. The ECM is not disconected.

Being that the fuel pack is not connected to the ALDL I would have to guess that it was not disconnected for these reading.

Best I can do with an auto background.

Once an engine operating system has been changed some of the
min max values will no longer fit. Best to leave stock unless you can understand and do this work yourself or you can afford to pay someone to do it for you and you can find someone that's honest and knows what they are doing.

Old 08-14-2010, 11:59 PM
hatchetman
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

You were at an idle, 8 rpm below your set idle speed. Your stator output is fine because it will not give you 14 volts or more until your rpm's increase.
Same goes with other low levels. it all comes in line when the engine begins to work in it's designed service range!
grab a beer & wax it!!

Old 08-15-2010, 02:41 AM
dope_man_21
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 32vld
"Injector Time Rear @ 2.48 ms .2 ms below the Min value, and the A/F Ratio which it states in Rich."

Your engine will run rich because all the things you have done will make the engine run rich.

This is why at idle the computer has cut back the injector time. It see's that the engine is rich with your set up and the injector does not have to be on as long as a stock set up.
+1,
BUT I don't know exactly where it is that the ECM will start to decrease the fuel to the rear cylinder to help with the over heating issues, you were at 261 degrees and at idle, that could also be a possibility.

Old 08-15-2010, 02:00 PM
SciFiGuy
Road Master
Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by hatchetman
grab a beer & wax it!!
Done.

Thanks all for the input. After reading 32vld's post about the voltage I figured the low value was due to the bike just idling as when I running the volt meter show a little above 14 volts.

Not going to sweat the little stuff just gonna get out and ride.

Thanks again.

Old 08-15-2010, 02:17 PM
coupe55
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Afr

The download you installed after you did the pipes and Stage I AC richened up the AFR, that is a good thing! No only from a performance point of view but the bike will run cooler that with a factory lean AFR.

Old 08-16-2010, 03:30 AM
Watch Guy
Stellar HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Looks just like an 'event recorder' printout.

Originally Posted by SciFiGuy
Took the bike in for it's 10 K service today and when it was ready the service writer hands me a couple of pages of data that he explained to me was something the started doing with the K services called a Birth Certificate

Anyway they hook up to the ECM to the computer while the bike is running to get the data.

Service writer tells me everything is fine with the bike but I was hoping some with maybe a little more experience could take a look and let me know. You can see from the attached pics that it gives you a value and a Min and Max. The only things that I'm worried about is the battery voltage @ 13.10 Volts the Injector Time Rear @ 2.48 ms .2 ms below the Min value, and the A/F Ratio which it states in Rich.

Bike is a 2009 Street Glide with SE A/C Stage I download, Vance & Hines Twin Slash Monster Oval's and a Vance and Hines Ful Pak running the recommended map.

I'm guessing that they would of had to unplug the Ful Pak to be able to plug into the ECM which is what I'm hoping would have caused the Rich A/F ratio.

Anyway any help would be appreciated.
They don't need to unplug anything to plug into your ecm. That's a little plug right at your fusebox next to the security plug in. Your SE fuel Pak is doing just what it's supposed to. With those pipes and the stage 1 your bike is supposed to run rich. That is the whole purpose of the stage 1 and the fuel pak in the first place.
The Event recorder comment is because I had an accident at work a few years back and in my hearing they brought in a stack of papers with all this data from the 'black box' on the locomotive. 15 pages long for an event that lasted 10 seconds.

Old 10-17-2010, 10:47 AM
Red '04'
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 04 Road King Custom with a P1356 engne code, can anyone tell me what it means/

Old 10-17-2010, 10:58 AM
Red '04'
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 04 R K C with a P1356 engine code, what does that mean?