General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Phone holder for handle bars (droid X, incredible, Iphone)

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2010, 07:19 AM
big cahuna
Grand HDF Member
Received 241 Likes on 161 Posts

Do you ride for the enjoyment of it or, to keep yourself entertained? Really, are you going to answer a phone call while your riding? Or possibly ride off the rode while playing with you gps or music player? Car drivers are dangerous enough, now you want to see who can pay the least amount of attention to while driving.,,

Old 08-15-2010, 07:52 AM
ImNoPrince
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by big cahuna
Do you ride for the enjoyment of it or, to keep yourself entertained? Really, are you going to answer a phone call while your riding? Or possibly ride off the rode while playing with you gps or music player? Car drivers are dangerous enough, now you want to see who can pay the least amount of attention to while driving.,,
everyones enjoyment for it is different. I like to have Tunes sometimes on my ride. I like having info as far as how far I rode and my Max speed and such. I can set this stuff easy and ride on never having to touch it the entire ride.

I really like being able to record or live stream an interesting ride to watch later or have those watch that couldn't make it. I got a great Video of a Deer crossing my path a week or so ago . If I didn't have my Cam mounted I would have never gotten that sot.

and No I don't answer the Phone while riding and most of the time won't even call back unless it has to do with a meet for the ride or something. Now I will check e-mail and text at stops (bike only gets 90 miles per fill so stops happen offend).

I also understand it's not for everyone but this tread was asking for info on someone that wants .

Old 08-15-2010, 08:27 AM
chopped7
Road Master

[quote][Do you ride for the enjoyment of it or, to keep yourself entertained?/QUOTE]

99% of my riding is my commute to work. i don't always enjoy commuting so i keep myself entertained listening to the radio. i use my ipod sometimes but keep it in my pocket. it would be nice to mount.

on the rare occasion i do go on a group ride, something always seems to go wrong and texts start flying around. meeting place changes, somebody is running late, somebody cancels, etc. it would be nice to see the text or call is coming in. i would never take a call while riding but a quick peek at the phone is not a big deal if it's mounted. just like checking your mirrors and gauges.

when my wife and i are on a ride, that usually means the kids are home alone. it would be nice to be able to see if they call right away instead of waiting until the next fill up. lot's of reasons to mount that smart phone. can't wait for my upgrade in october. i'll probably get one of these mounts.

Old 08-15-2010, 08:43 AM
PigInaBlanket
Club Member
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

I put mine in my pants pocket or vest pocket but yesterday on a ride I was thinking it would be kind of cool to take a video or pictures while we were riding. No way I could do it one handed with my phone but I wouldn't want the phone on the bars all the time.
The GPS navigation would be cool to use on my phone sometimes too but right now I just use the Google maps if I need to at gas stops then I put it back in my pocket.

Old 08-15-2010, 08:54 AM
ImNoPrince
Road Captain

Another Option for some that don't want it on their Bars is a Wrist or modified arm mount . I even have seen them that you can have it sitting on your leg as well.

Old 08-15-2010, 09:41 AM
Faast Ed
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by ImNoPrince
Well my Cell is not just a Cell. I can stream Pandora (music) , I can use several Navigation apps, I can even use it like the SpeedO and record Speed mileage and other factors . I can Live stream to record Video of my ride ( use this when doing Group functions) . I can even do Voice Text if I wanted but no real need for that or using it as a cell.

But really it keeps me from carrying multiple devises with me.
That's all cool to have a toy like that. But it is still a distraction.
Playing with a toy while riding your other toy.

I travel a lot in my cage for my job. I use a GPS and love it. But I also spend enough time "playing" with it to keep me from even considering mounting it on my bike.
If I get lost, I can pull it out of my saddlebag and ask it where I am.

All you need is to be looking at that GPS while something in front of you is going wrong. Less reaction time, less room to stop or avoid something.
One close-call will likely change your mind (hopefully "just" a close call).

As was said earlier, everybody has different likes and dislikes.
Some wear shorts and sandals while riding, others like bolting distracting toys to their bars so's they can play with them instead of paying attention to the road and the beautiful scenery around them.

However, if you want to mount it on your bars just to be a "show-off",...... Enjoy!

Old 08-16-2010, 09:00 AM
Detained
Novice

Originally Posted by TravelingBiker
I found this today and thought I'd share it with you incase you hadn't seen it.

http://www.arkon.com/Smartphone_Holder.php

Look for item SM427.

Any thoughts? Anyone already own/used this?

I'm going to upgrade to the Droid X in a month and I've been looking for a handlebar mount for it.
You gotta be shittin' me, worry about riding not your damn phone!!!! Hell, don't enough of us get killed by idiots on the phone instead of paying attention to the road???? I mean WTF is next, how can I ride AND text at the same time?!?!?!

People ALWAYS say they aren't gonna do this or that then the next thing ya know, BAM!!!! you ran into the *** end of somebody cuz you couldn't see the GPS or whatever so you were looking at it closer to see your next turn........... I swear the more advanced we get as a society the stupider people get!!!

Wanna be a biker???? BE A BIKER!! Use common sense know where you are going before hand. Yes, I'm well aware things change/happen or whatever on a ride that's why we have pockets, bags or whatever to carry our electronics in so if something happens we can PULL OVER then check our GPS or phones. I personally think that wannabe bikers should just stay in your cages if you have to have that crap mounted in your face!! BTW, real bikers ARE NOT IMPRESSED by gadgets mounted to your bars, just shows that you truly are either a RUB, Poser or just a wannabe dumbass!!

Rant over.........I think.....LoL

Last edited by Detained; 08-16-2010 at 09:23 AM. Reason: More I thought about it, the more pissed I got......
Old 08-16-2010, 09:54 AM
ImNoPrince
Road Captain

Look I have been riding since the age of 5 so we are looking at 40years on one form or another . So Yes I'm A Biker and just because you cant' do more then one thing at a time doesn't mean I can't. I mean how do you breath and ride at the same time if it's that hard you all make it out to be. I got my street DL the day I was able and didn't get the DL for the car for another 4 months as I just didn't need it. I've raced many forms of bikes and where I know not the best I would put my Riding Skills up against anyone and see how they fare.

Yes there are idiots out there that just have no clue but if your a good enough rider you AVOID them and don't put yourself in a situation for harm. Yes I have had real bad wrecks on my Bikes from cagers but none of them could have been prevented by having or not having Electronics on my Bikes.

I don't understand this was a thread asking about an Item not How we should be riding . I could see most of the points if it was a Should I put a Cell on my bike , but it's not they already made up their mind and were asking for info on it. People talking about going out and just enjoying the ride are normally the same ones that are running from Bar to Bar all shitfaced and I can see why they think the way they do about on bike distractions.

So there, that's my Rant

Old 08-16-2010, 09:56 AM
Springer95
Cruiser

This is a pretty good idea with the use of phone GPS nowadays. But, ya, the thought of it falling out is a no go for me. It even says in the ad, you need to use your own ties/straps to hold it in on bumpy roads.

Old 08-16-2010, 10:00 AM
Springer95
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Detained
BTW, real bikers ARE NOT IMPRESSED by gadgets mounted to your bars
REAL bikers don't care what other bikers do.

Quick Reply: Phone holder for handle bars (droid X, incredible, Iphone)