General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What kind of ear plugs

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2010, 11:08 AM
skdvr
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What kind of ear plugs

I have only had my Harley (my first) for about a month and a half. I ride it to work pretty much every day about 45 min commute each way and mostly highway (55-70mph), and I am wearing a half helmet.

I started noticing that I felt like I left a rock concert after getting home so last week I went out and bought some of the foam ear plugs. Went for my first ride with them on Sat morning (about 2 hours) and both my ears physically hurt after and I still felt like I left a rock concert. I am pretty sure that it was from them sticking out of my ears a little and the wind directly blowing on them, so this morning I cut a little off the back side of the plugs and that helped a lot but I still feel like it should be quieter.

FYI - Yes I was putting them in correctly by pulling up on my ear before inserting them. I worked on Jets for 8 years and preserved my hearing so I do not want riding to screw it up now.

So what kind of ear plugs do you like to use that you have noticed help a lot.

Thanks
Phil

Old 08-12-2010, 11:11 AM
HillBilly73
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got a 3/4 helmet so I don't wear them but i see alot of folks with those rubber molded ones.

Old 08-12-2010, 11:40 AM
AllenW
Elite HDF Member
Received 119 Likes on 88 Posts

When I need plugs I use a molded rubber insert that I bought, they inject a rubber compound into you ear and it sets up, they work very well, but are a bit spendy.

Wife and I use these mostly for shooting, but they'd work on a bike too.

Only problem I see is I use my hearing to help me in my driving.

Just curious, this to lower wind noise or bike noise?

Al

Old 08-12-2010, 11:45 AM
Jags93
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

are u inserting them properly? what you should do is roll the foam plug in your fingers to make them as skinny as possible, so they slide all the way in. There should be very little sticking out. Once they rebound to normal sound the noise blocking will be very effective, in fact maybe too effective where you might want to slide them out a bit.

Old 08-12-2010, 11:46 AM
Grrrl
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

See if you can find a local place who sell these. Most earring aid companies should carry them. Custom fit. You can get pairs that work with 2way communication or ipods even.
http://www.ihs.ca/hearing_conservation.htm

Another great place to see these would be local bike shows. The one in Abbotsford BC was where I heard about this company.

Old 08-12-2010, 11:58 AM
ROMPUS
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Everybody's ears are different as far as what feels best,I like the ones called e:a:r Classic.You probably know the ones I am talking about.

Old 08-12-2010, 12:01 PM
red69camaro
Tourer

I use a 3/4 helmet too. For the ears, it's the only way to go

Old 08-12-2010, 12:01 PM
cqcuster
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do you wear a bandana under your helmet? If so just make it 'wider/ taller' and have it cover your ears. That will ensure that your plugs aren't buffeting in the wind.

Other than that try a thicker foam, if that doesn't work you could have a custom pair made. I have seen people wear them if they do competition shooting.

Good Luck

Old 08-12-2010, 12:07 PM
skdvr
Tourer

Originally Posted by AllenW

Just curious, this to lower wind noise or bike noise?

Al
Wind Noise... Does not bother me as bad when I have the windshield on, but with it off, the temp hearing loss is very noticeable when shutting down the bik.

Originally Posted by Jags93
are u inserting them properly? what you should do is roll the foam plug in your fingers to make them as skinny as possible, so they slide all the way in. There should be very little sticking out. Once they rebound to normal sound the noise blocking will be very effective, in fact maybe too effective where you might want to slide them out a bit.
Yeppers, I am putting them in correctly. Like I said I worked on Jets for 8 years and lots of education about hearing protection. Here is a video of how I do it.

Originally Posted by Grrrl
See if you can find a local place who sell these. Most earring aid companies should carry them. Custom fit. You can get pairs that work with 2way communication or ipods even.
http://www.ihs.ca/hearing_conservation.htm

Another great place to see these would be local bike shows. The one in Abbotsford BC was where I heard about this company.
Thanks for the tip I will check them out.

BTW - If you put a foam ear plug in and then rub on the back end of it that noise you can hear is kind of what I am hearing only multiplied a ton. More so in my left ear than my right. I tried several times to get it in my ear further so it would not stick out at all, but I just cannot go in any more, which is why I decided to try and cut it.

Thinking that the rubber ones or molded wax ones would be better but wanted to get opinions before spending money on them...

Thanks again.

Phil

Old 08-12-2010, 12:13 PM
skdvr
Tourer

Originally Posted by ROMPUS
Everybody's ears are different as far as what feels best,I like the ones called e:a:r Classic.You probably know the ones I am talking about.
That is what I used in the Marine Corps and they never let me down, but I did not ride with a half helmet then. Maybe I will have to track some down and try them. If memory serves me correctly they were thicker than the ones I am using now. Maybe that is the problem and not that they are sticking out to far.

Thanks
Phil

Quick Reply: What kind of ear plugs