General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What kind of ear plugs

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2010, 12:26 PM
vheflin
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'd highly recommend these: http://www.howardleight.com/family/index/4
Excellent fit, noise reduction and very comfortable. You can get a box of them fairly cheap at http://www.amazon.com Been using these for many years working around heavy industrial equipment and while riding.

Old 08-12-2010, 12:27 PM
AllenW
Elite HDF Member
Received 119 Likes on 88 Posts

Never liked the half helmet for that reason, when I ride on the street I use a 3/4 version and don't have the problem, plus I could hear better that way.

Al

Old 08-12-2010, 12:30 PM
skdvr
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just came across this and found it has some good reviews in there.

I too am thinking that the 3/4 or modular helmet may be the way I go. Especially if I want to ride without the windshield.

Thanks again for all the suggestions.

Phil

Old 08-12-2010, 12:41 PM
will227457
Road Master

I use these
excellent value
http://www.surefire.com/EP3-Sonic-Defenders

Old 08-12-2010, 12:45 PM
fj1200
Tourer
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

I ordered the Reusable Earplug Sample Kit from Aerostich http://www.aerostich.com/off-and-rid...ample-kit.html

and found a couple that worked better than the others. I have gotten to the point where I wear earplugs no matter what kind of helmet that I wear because the wind noise bothers me so much.

Old 08-12-2010, 12:48 PM
Good Time Gang
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i was having an issue with wind noise and my half helmet. i listen to my ipod and the combination was killing me. i finally found a pair of sony earbuds ($35) at best buy. they are shaped like skullcandy, but have a volume and track selection controls. They work great. totally block wind, but i can listen at low volume so i can still hear the road. I am not saying that these are safe. It is by no means safe to dampen sounds of the highway, but it will save my ears from wind, and i really need my toons. seems to be a good compromise imho.

Old 08-12-2010, 12:57 PM
Jags93
Road Master

When I first began using ear plugs my ears would be tender after I took them out. Not from the sound but from the plug itself. Perhaps you are feeling that too? This happens with the foam or custom made rubber plugs molded to my ear.

Old 08-12-2010, 12:58 PM
phknsic
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ironic this thread popped up, I just got a half helmet the other day and rode, I damn near had to pull over cuz it sounded like bombs going off in my ears. I stuck it out and got to where I was going, I ride with a knit beanie to wear when I take the helmet off, I was able to get the beanie on and put the helmet over it covering my ears. 1000% times better, My ears are already messed up from concerts and noise so I take care these days to make sure nothing else damages them. I'm thinking about having some type of ear cover/pads made to sew into the straps of the helmet so they are covered while riding.

Don't think I'd want to hassle with ear plugs, might lose them or just the hassle of in and out every time you get on and off the bike.

Old 08-12-2010, 01:20 PM
skdvr
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jags93
When I first began using ear plugs my ears would be tender after I took them out. Not from the sound but from the plug itself. Perhaps you are feeling that too? This happens with the foam or custom made rubber plugs molded to my ear.
I dont think that my problem was just tenderness from wearing the plugs. I really think that it was vibrating in my ear. One of the articles I was reading the author said that his right ear canal is larger than his left and with disposable plugs he was to flip them around and use the large end first. Maybe I will give that a shot. I just went over to Lowe's and bought a set of reusable ear plugs that I am going to try on the way home. They are not rated for as many Db but they are bigger around and seem to fit in my ears better.

Phil

Old 08-12-2010, 01:27 PM
piasspj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 339 Likes on 195 Posts

I usually don't wear any when I ride but always carry some of the foam ones.
The wax ones that I buy at the dollar store are cheap and they work. They don't seem to be as irritating as the foam ones.

Quick Reply: What kind of ear plugs