General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Freiken paying at the pump.... BS....

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2010, 07:11 AM
Trailfndr
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

I have had it happen on 2 occasions, and both timeswere at Motels...its irritating, even though I understand it, but in my opinion, its WRONG. Run the card for the purchase. Running it for more is simply bad bussiness and pisses of your customers.

Old 08-11-2010, 07:26 AM
docsg
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BassCatcher
Never heard of such a thing. I've been paying at the pump with my credit card for some 15-20 years now (or whenever they offered the service) and have never had a problem.

Normally when you use a debit card at a gas pump the vendor (at least in this area) puts an additional $75 hold with the transaction. However, if you use a credit card, the transaction is posted as it actually occurs. My bank card can be used either way (debit/credit) and the bank advised me to always use it as a credit card at gas stations. First, they get a bigger cut of the transaction and second, it is credited to your account as soon as it hits anyway so the impact to you is the same. Never use a debit card at a hotel/motel--they normally hold an extra night's charge until the debit clears.

Old 08-11-2010, 07:32 AM
rodnock
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had the same thing happen to me 2 months ago and when they did it it was at the end of the month. Just before my pension checks were deposited. It made my account overdrawn and I got hit with an overdraft. Then to top that off the bank charged me a second overdraft fee even though i was overdrawn only once. I am still fighting the bank on those charges. 60 bucks flew right out of my account. That 100 dollar hold was very expensive for me.

Old 08-11-2010, 07:41 AM
Chicago Bob
Road Master
Received 40 Likes on 2 Posts

I haven't read all the posts, but after the first few, I googled the topic. Here is a good explanation of why the debit card hold occurs:

http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com...DebitCard.aspx

Old 08-11-2010, 07:54 AM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,371 Likes on 2,543 Posts

Originally Posted by FLUltrarider
Yep, they're working the float on the cash. The longer they can run on your cash the better they look. The practice sounds pretty unethical to me though.
when they put the hold on your account, the merchant is not getting the cash so there is no interest accrued for them on your float......

Old 08-11-2010, 08:03 AM
shiftharder
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is this even legal? Never heard of it before - maybe cause of my age (60) they don`t think I`d trash a room and I`ve never had a hold on a gas purchase and I use both debit and credit.

Old 08-11-2010, 08:20 AM
oldncrzy
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use cash for gas and credit for motel/hotel rooms. It is bad enough to have to go inside and pay before pumping, but this is ridiculous. Thanks for the warning.

Old 08-11-2010, 08:26 AM
mcrider1
Road Warrior
Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Petro Express in Charlotte had signs on their pumps the other day that debit card usage would put a $125 hold on your account. That won't happen with a CC.

Old 08-11-2010, 08:50 AM
dirtracin23
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I was told by my bank to try to run all charges on my debit card as a credit transaction. They said a debit transaction does not provide purchase protection while a credit transaction does.

Old 08-11-2010, 10:07 AM
bigirishwarrior14
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RandyDowdy
The same thing has happened to us. A ramada Inn in Harrisonburg Va was notorious for it. And even a Sleep in there did the same thing. Basturds!
Mine was Hilton Hotel up north of NJ, I was p#ssed!! Nearly cause me overdraft my checking account!

Quick Reply: Freiken paying at the pump.... BS....