General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil sludge question

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2010, 12:12 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,027 Likes on 4,214 Posts
Default OH

Never thought about it, now HO HO HO - H2O too much

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 08-12-2010 at 12:16 PM.
Old 08-12-2010, 04:22 PM
wlbowers
Stellar HDF Member

Received 101 Likes on 44 Posts

Feel like I've gone three rounds with Big Bird.

Old 08-12-2010, 05:57 PM
qtrracer
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 131 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by hdtwice
Was reading in the shop manual about how condensation appears in the oil in the bike during the warm up cycle...... but if warmed up all the way, the condensation goes away due to operating temps. IF, bike is not allowed to reach full operating temp, then the condensation mixes with oil and makes sludge which is very bad for moving parts. A big example of this is when people just start their bikes in the driveway because they haven't ridden in awhile and they think they need to let the bike idle awhile then put it back in the garage.

Okay, now I am getting to my question....

I commute to work during the week and the distance is very short. ( it is just 4 miles from door to door) Just how much riding, or miles, need to be done before the bike is us up to full operation temp...and then....how long after that before the condensation is burned off?

The outside temp surely will make a difference in warm up time...I am here in N.CA which means no freezing temps......cold weather in the 40s...summer in the 80s and up.

Thanks in advance
Leave early and ride back and forth to work 2 or 3 times before actually shutting her off, that oughto do it. Or try wrapping your motor in an asbestos blanket!

Old 08-12-2010, 08:06 PM
32vld
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"how condensation appears in the oil in the bike during the warm up cycle...... but if warmed up all the way, the condensation goes away due to operating temps"

I guess my post was to long.

Condensation never goes away.

The combustion process produces water vapor.

The water vapor is not seen after the engine warms up because the higher temperature of the engine prevents the water molecules condensing enough to been seen as with a cold engine.

Condensation/water vapor can not be prevented.

Residual condensation can at best only be kept to a minimum by running the engine hot enough to vaporize the water so the crankcase breather system can evacuate the vapor from the crankcase.

Normal to have higher level of condesation with short rides in cold weather.

Cars today tend to have less visiable condesation because of better crankcase ventilation and they run hotter with 195F thermostats instead of the 160F to 180F.

If you are going to lose sleep over this then change your oil at shorter intervals.

Old 08-13-2010, 02:37 PM
NavyCharles24
Cruiser
Location: Longwood, Florida, Seminole County, United States of America
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Was reading in the shop manual about how condensation appears in the oil in the bike during the warm up cycle...... but if warmed up all the way, the condensation goes away due to operating temps. IF, bike is not allowed to reach full operating temp, then the condensation mixes with oil and makes sludge which is very bad for moving parts. A big example of this is when people just start their bikes in the driveway because they haven't ridden in awhile and they think they need to let the bike idle awhile then put it back in the garage.

I commute to work during the week and the distance is very short. ( it is just 4 miles from door to door) Just how much riding, or miles, need to be done before the bike is us up to full operation temp...and then....how long after that before the condensation is burned off?

The outside temp surely will make a difference in warm up time...I am here in N.CA which means no freezing temps......cold weather in the 40s...summer in the 80s and up.

Thanks in advance
You will have MORE problems with Fuel than your Oil. Today's Modern Oil have compensations built into them for your sort of riding. However, if you have condensation on your Bike, no doubt you have condensation on the Fuel Tank and immediately INSIDE your Fuel Tank. If that is the case, regularly put in your Fuel Tank some Gasoline Water Remover. Today's Gasoline has Corn in it, and Corn Gas is Hydroscopic and it SERIOUSLY screws up Marine Engines, and Motorcycle Engines.
4 Miles, Dang? That just ain't right. Just ain't right!

Old 08-13-2010, 02:52 PM
shiftharder
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tons of boaters have gasoline problems today because they rarely use the boats - Scoots would be the same - if you ride often I don`t think it`ll be a problem - it`s the sitting over the winter that`s a problem.

Old 08-13-2010, 03:02 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

...how long after that before the condensation is burned off?
30 minute ride will do it.

If you are worried about E10 water absorbtion and fuel gelling then treat your gas with blue marine STABIL you can find at West Marine or Walmart. The cost for a large 32 oz.bottle is $19.99 at Walmart and it will treat 360 gallons of gas. Regular red STABIL will help but the blue stuff is best.

Last edited by KBFXDLI; 08-13-2010 at 03:06 PM.