General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shorty Helmet

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2005, 05:33 PM
98fxd
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shorty Helmet

Guys,
not sure if this is the right place to post this... someone please let me know if i should move it...

i recently bought the harley brand rally rider half helmet. i don't like it. among some road issues, i really hate the looks of it. it sticks way up above my head. i am looking for a real low profile shorty/half helmet. something that isn't so "dome" like and isn't so massive on top of my head. i have seen these shorty helemts around, on other riders, pictures in magazines, and (don't hate me for watching) the guys on american chopper wear them. does anyone know of a specific brand and model that will fit the bill for me? no one carries a big selction of helmets around here, just the harley shop and they don't have what im looking for. i can't really shop around and try things on because the one non-harley mc shop carries only one helmet. so a brand and model and even an online source would be great... can anyone help? my wife is all over me about having a helmet since i crashed my bike, and i have to admit, i feel better having one too (just for piece of mind if nothing else). or if someone knows of a place in denver that might carry a low profile shorty, that would work too.

thanks all

Old 06-16-2005, 05:36 PM
Clammy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,794 Likes on 789 Posts
Default RE: Shorty Helmet

If you're looking for a DOT helmet, I have an NXT beanie helmet. It's really light, comfortable, DOT approved, and doesn't make you look like the Great Gazoo!!! Check it out HERE

Cheers!
[sm=icon_rock.gif][sm=icon_rock.gif][sm=icon_rock.gif]

Old 06-16-2005, 06:06 PM
98fxd
Tourer

thanks clammy,
it looks good, sounds right, wish they had a pictuire of it on someones melon. although not all melons are created equal....

dot sounds good. i mean if it weren't going to protect my head in a crash, i would rather not wear one at all, so i am leaqning toward dot approved rather than a novelty type.

thanks again

Old 06-16-2005, 06:15 PM
Clammy
Seasoned HDF Member

ORIGINAL: 98fxd

thanks clammy,
it looks good, sounds right, wish they had a pictuire of it on someones melon. although not all melons are created equal....

dot sounds good. i mean if it weren't going to protect my head in a crash, i would rather not wear one at all, so i am leaqning toward dot approved rather than a novelty type.

thanks again
Happy to help out. For a picture of someone wearing one, go HERE and scroll down a bit.

Cheers!

Old 06-16-2005, 06:45 PM
BigDaddy
Novice

cut down on the mouse....

seriously, i have a beanie helmet too, no complaints

Old 06-16-2005, 06:55 PM
Primo
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey 98, Clammy has you goin in the right direction. The NXT's are about the thinnest DOT approved helmets you will find. You are right about the ones you see on the bike shows on TV. Very cool but almost all are novelty type and while they look cool they really do not provide much in the way of crash protection. Personally I wear the H-D Trespasser helmet, the one without the studs on the strap. I found it to be the least "mushroomy" of the H-D helmets. Very similar to what the local P.D.'s wear. Here's a link to the site
Short Link

Old 06-16-2005, 09:06 PM
wild1
Cruiser

I too have the nxt helmet and love it. I bought it a little too big so right now it is being resized be them. I have to wear either my full face or my hjc half helmet in the mean time and it sucks. I want my nxt back. They are alot lighter too. So much in fact that you can barely feel it.

Old 06-17-2005, 01:56 AM
Clammy
Seasoned HDF Member

ORIGINAL: wild1

I too have the nxt helmet and love it. I bought it a little too big so right now it is being resized be them. I have to wear either my full face or my hjc half helmet in the mean time and it sucks. I want my nxt back. They are alot lighter too. So much in fact that you can barely feel it.
I didn't know they would resize a lid. I bought an XL, and I really should have gotten a large. How much is it to resize it?

To anyone buying an NXT, make sure you get one that fits pretty tight, as the inner foam takes the shape of your head over time.

Cheers!

Old 06-17-2005, 04:10 AM
NiteTrain05
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

The Great Gazoo?? ROFLMAO
ORIGINAL: Clammy

If you're looking for a DOT helmet, I have an NXT beanie helmet. It's really light, comfortable, DOT approved, and doesn't make you look like the Great Gazoo!!! Check it out HERE

Cheers!

Old 06-17-2005, 04:55 AM
Omen
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: kellazo

Hey 98, Clammy has you goin in the right direction. The NXT's are about the thinnest DOT approved helmets you will find. You are right about the ones you see on the bike shows on TV. Very cool but almost all are novelty type and while they look cool they really do not provide much in the way of crash protection. Personally I wear the H-D Trespasser helmet, the one without the studs on the strap. I found it to be the least "mushroomy" of the H-D helmets. Very similar to what the local P.D.'s wear. Here's a link to the site
short link

Damn I like that bucket! I wonder if they carry it in Flat black.

Quick Reply: Shorty Helmet