Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

what kinda helmet do you prefer?

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2010, 09:16 PM
harleydavis
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

Beanie here, and in the winter, occasionally my FF helmet.

Old 08-09-2010, 09:48 PM
Bike-R-Mike
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm supprised so many are saying full face . You hardly ever see a Harley rider wearing a full face around here . I used to wear a 3/4 on my cruiser style bikes but now I always wear a half helmet . I find them alot more comfortable

Old 08-09-2010, 10:06 PM
Kowan
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Bike-R-Mike
I'm supprised so many are saying full face . You hardly ever see a Harley rider wearing a full face around here . I used to wear a 3/4 on my cruiser style bikes but now I always wear a half helmet . I find them alot more comfortable
I think part of that stems from, you can't see the rider's face. So how do you know if he or she is actually a tough guy/gal.
You have people asking what they should or shouldn't wear. So some are wearing what they think is acceptable and still be considered cool on a bike.

I used to use a FF. Now it's a modular I perfer.

Old 08-09-2010, 10:09 PM
SteveO-ll
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just picked up a new today Daytona 1/2~or~Bennie whatever you call them. It only weights 14oz, I believe is what they told me. Heck it feels like half the weight of my other helmets, not sure how they do it because there is all kinds of foam and padding in it. Oh, and it fits snugger on my head than the other helmets to.

Old 08-09-2010, 10:39 PM
GaryWayne
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did a 7000mile trip about 10 years ago and wore a full face (expecting all types of weather). I found after that for the most part I'm just more comfortable in the full face (shield up most of the time). My contacts seem to do much better than with a 3/4 or no helmet. I've gone without a helmet in states where I can and find that it;s great just putting down the beach but at anything over crusing speeds I hate it...to much wind noise, crap hitting me in the face (even with a windshield). so for me the FF is more about comfort that safety...but thats not a bad point. I'm not a helmet nut...wear whatever you want or not period but realize that not all of us who like a FF is safety nut...we just feel better with it.

Gary

Old 08-09-2010, 10:46 PM
OldEnuf2NoBtr
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,844 Likes on 1,084 Posts

None at all if I can help it. Some states around my area, I refuse to ride in because of their insistence about lids.

Old 08-09-2010, 10:54 PM
lo-rider
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default which helmet?

Rode for many years w/ a 3/4. Then w/ a FF for quite awhile. Now I'm back to a 3/4 w/ flip-up shield, but I'd have another FF or modular when the time comes to get another.

Old 08-09-2010, 11:07 PM
Sgt Mac
Road Master

Half on the harley, full on the sportbike and dualsport. Full on the harley echos the exhaust to a point earplugs won't even dampen it. Full on the sportbike because of the speed and on the dual sport for more protection from rocks, etc...

Old 08-09-2010, 11:33 PM
Woody7
Cruiser

Have a bunch of helmets. Never could stand a full face, intel I got the Shoei X 11. The venting is incredible, even here in Arizona it is cooler to have it on than going commando.

Old 08-10-2010, 12:00 AM
bubbass
3rd Gear

I like my beanie.

Quick Reply: what kinda helmet do you prefer?