General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buyers Market

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2010, 04:25 PM
Flyboy2000
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buyers Market

Hi all,

I've been lurking here for a while, and finally decided it was time to join. So Hello!
I've been looking into getting my second bike. I originally rode a 86' Ninja 600 while under a motorcycle permit for about a year and a half. Now that I'm in my 40's ( No Midlife Crisis jokes!) I am interested in a Heritage Softail Classic.
I know the economy is still very much in the toilet. Any of my other used toys that I've tried to sell have literally gone for anywhere between .60-.70 cents on the dollar...if I was lucky. Is this what people are getting for their used bikes? It really seems that people just do not have the money for toys or non-essential items right now ...and that includes the Harley bikes.

That being said what kind of deals are to be had on New 2011 bikes? What kind of deals are being had on Used bikes? I'd really like some 'real world" numbers.

Thanks

Tony

Old 08-09-2010, 04:40 PM
turn8a
Road Captain

good time to buy but a bad time to sell.

Old 08-09-2010, 04:53 PM
freddyttt
Road Warrior
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

I dont think you'll get any deals from Harley.

my advice. have cash, do your homework(ask questions here)check ebay, criegslist and be patient. better time to buy is late fall winter. I picked up my 2001 low rider for 5300(cash)and the bike only had 11,000 miles on it.(last winter)

good luck-

Old 08-10-2010, 02:45 AM
Flyboy2000
6th Gear

wow,
I didn't think that I could NOT get any good deals from the dealer! I kknow that for some there is NO recession...there are some dealers that arent able to keep 2011's on the showoom floor because they are all " spoken for".. But there must be some good deals to be had. I am definately interested in buying.

But have really not had any dealer show interest in ME. I've given my name and number to three different HD dealers and NONE have called back! I was originally looking for a RED Sunglo Heritage classic, Now I think I prefer the two tone blue/black..but sheesh Not ONE call asking me to come have a look..I guess they must be flush with cash..though you'd never tell by looking at the empty parking lot!

Like has been said on this forum before..you don't NEED a HD you WANT a HD.
So I'm going to get educated and see if I can really get a deal! I think the used market would be better, but I'm worried bout the unknowns ( dropped?abused)

Tony
If anyone can recommend a good dealer in So Cal..Let me know

Old 08-10-2010, 08:37 AM
Wassup8687
Club Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome aboard from New York.

Old 08-10-2010, 08:46 AM
fladawg01
Tourer
Default Used bikes

Here's what you look for in a used HD IMHO:

1) older rider selling his bike. (55+ years of age)
2) Talk to him about why he is selling, his experience riding etc. Gives you a good feel as to the ownership and how he treated the bike. Look at other items he has cars, trucks, home, yard etc, if they're in clean shape, you know he takes care of things.
3) Ask for service records. Most guys don't do thier own service and pay either an Indy or a dealer, and should have records. If none, either ask if they recorded thier services, if not be wary, same if no records are available.
4) Find as much info about the bike you are looking at before being in front of the seller, like recalls, failures known, etc. Ask if any of this was corrected or experienced on that year and model.
5) Look at the mileage, most average riders put on anywhere between 3000 to 5000 miles (insurance statistic). Less than this means he did little riding and used it for show and see I have a HD. More than this you found a true road warrior, who knew his bike and took care of it well.
6) Look at the tires, cables, brakes, engine area all the nooks and crannys, if it isn't well cleaned and maintained it will show. Even a quick wash won't hide something that hasn't been taken care of.
7) Don't settle on the first one you see. Take your time and look around, you'll know when you see it it's the bike for you.
8) Too many bargains out there where guys are selling off toys they no longer can afford or enjoy, or want to maintain if they were always paying for service.

Old 08-10-2010, 09:08 AM
wbogley
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Your best shot at a good deal will be to call around for a new leftover 2010 model or used bike. Check ebay or craigslist and spend some time talking to people and looking at used bikes. You will find a deal if you look long enough.

Old 08-10-2010, 09:15 AM
Wallaby
Club Member

Forget new, dealers won't deal, maybe get a 1 or 2 grand off a leftover. Buy a low mileage used bike and save some real $$$. Welcome aboard

Old 08-10-2010, 09:37 AM
kamut
Tourer

This has been touched on, but people have bikes in their garages that are almost new, but are way cheaper than actual 'new'. Also, the private seller doesn't have to go talk to his manager to plot psychological warfare against you, add bogus fees, etc.

I have been checking craigslist daily for months, and have a really good idea of what people are asking (not necessarily what they are getting). I can see what prices are causing repeat listings and what prices are listed once and then (presumably) sold. You can get a really good feel for the local market this way IMO.

Markets vary regionally. I'm in the Southwest where we can ride 12 months out of the year, and prices seem higher here compared to places where you have to stop riding for part of the year.

Old 08-10-2010, 09:41 AM
NR4TW
Tourer

Originally Posted by Flyboy2000
That being said what kind of deals are to be had on New 2011 bikes? What kind of deals are being had on Used bikes?
I don't think you will see many "deals" on the new 2011 bikes, from H-D or any other dealer. However, if you want new there are still plenty of "leftover" new 2010 and even some 2009 bikes at dealers, and dealers are eager to get rid of that inventory by giving huge discounts.

With regard to used bikes, IMO, the way to price a bike is to look up the Kelly Blue Book Value (kbb.com) for both a trade-in to a dealer and a retail purchase from a dealer. A fair private party sale price should be about halfway between those two values.

Quick Reply: Buyers Market