General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buyers Market

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2010, 09:53 AM
big cahuna
Grand HDF Member
Received 241 Likes on 161 Posts

If you go to ebay and look at the completed sales, you will see where the market is at. There are alot of nice bikes that don't even get 1 bid. So the market is wide open. You will take a bath on a new bike, and like what was said too many almost new ones that will save you a bundle are hanging around gathering dust.,

Old 08-10-2010, 10:02 AM
Harleybass
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Good Deals

Originally Posted by Flyboy2000
wow,
I didn't think that I could NOT get any good deals from the dealer! I kknow that for some there is NO recession...there are some dealers that arent able to keep 2011's on the showoom floor because they are all " spoken for".. But there must be some good deals to be had. I am definately interested in buying.

But have really not had any dealer show interest in ME. I've given my name and number to three different HD dealers and NONE have called back! I was originally looking for a RED Sunglo Heritage classic, Now I think I prefer the two tone blue/black..but sheesh Not ONE call asking me to come have a look..I guess they must be flush with cash..though you'd never tell by looking at the empty parking lot!

Like has been said on this forum before..you don't NEED a HD you WANT a HD.
So I'm going to get educated and see if I can really get a deal! I think the used market would be better, but I'm worried bout the unknowns ( dropped?abused)

Tony
If anyone can recommend a good dealer in So Cal..Let me know
It is a buyers market right now. I don't know how much you can travel, but if you can, include a large area in your search, you will get a better deal.
Craigs list is a good place to start, I found a guy that was small dealer, that made all the Powersports Auctions. He only bought late model Harleys, 1 to 2 years old, that were still in the original factory warranty.(most of the bikes were repo's from Eaglemark Credit.(Harley Credit) I bought a Road King that was 18 mo old w/ 16,000 mi. still in factory warranty for $12,500. I under stand that Harley Credit had quite a few bikes at that time.
Be patient, look for a late model, in warranty and you won't go wrong. Steer away from heavily modified "eye candy" or anything with engine modifications, done by anyone other than a Harley Davidson dealer.( You don't know how well the work was done)
Las Vegas, Dallas seem to have moderate prices right now, if you wait till winter, that will be more $$$ in your pocket!

Last edited by Harleybass; 08-10-2010 at 10:19 AM.
Old 08-10-2010, 10:44 AM
ppablog
Intermediate
Thumbs up Good Deals on Used Harleys??

They're out there, but you have to have patience......the deals are out there, but it's easy to get burned. Usually, and especially with Harley, if it sounds too good to be true......well, you know the rest. Market is crazy right now, but a well dressed bike, be it touring, cruising, bobber, chopper, custom, or whatever, it better stand out from the crowd.

Old 08-10-2010, 11:05 AM
kcwfhog
Intermediate

Good deal on new - Try Norman @ Bartlesville Cycle Sports. - norman@bartlesvillecyclesports.com

They are in northeast Oklahoma. I bought my 2010 Limited from him at well below any other dealers best price. I know that they have customers all over the country (and out of the country)
Will definitely be worth your time to check. He can give you an "out-the-door" price over the phone.

Old 08-10-2010, 11:23 AM
Harley_Dude
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 102 Likes on 68 Posts

Never been a better time to buy, never been a worse time to sell. I'll bet there will be some screaming deals this winter. This economy thing is not over by a long shot.

Old 08-10-2010, 12:25 PM
wideglidebob
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

you are wasting your time dealers will not deal and i understand why new 2011 are rare and there is always the guy or gal who wants the newest and best h.d and they are willing to pay top dollor to say i have a new 2011 even thou they really aren`t any diff, than a 2010 which you can make a deal on, if your more intune to save money now is not the time, wait until weather gets cold and bitter, and buy from a state that only rides half the year hell from where i am 4 mo. is a long riding yr

Old 08-11-2010, 02:45 AM
Flyboy2000
6th Gear

Thanks for all the replies. I live in Southern California, there are a lot of folks here that have to have the latest and greatest, so the Dealer asks MSRP plus all the freight, build, delivery nonsense thrown in. I'm sure there are plenty of " What bad economy?!?" knuckleheads here, The other problem is I can't buy an out of state bike and bring it here to California ( emissions) I believe a used bike has to have over 7500 miles before the state will allow it to be registered here, as a used bike only.

Old 08-11-2010, 07:38 AM
Guitarfinder
Cruiser

Most dealers I talked to wanted MSRP but would kick back about a $1000 in accessories. I never could get with a dealer on a price I thought was fair, hell one dealer flat out lied to me. I looked around at used bikes that were only a couple of years old, as suggested by many people above, ie craigslist etc. I found a 2008 anniversary with 1300 miles on it, guy had all the records and paperwork, he never rode it, bike was showroom new, he was asking $10,900. After talking with him and being honest I bought the bike for $9000 cash..KEEP LOOKING. I have a basically brand new Harley for $6000 off sticker 2 years and 1300 miles after this guy bought it!!!!!

Old 08-11-2010, 07:57 AM
T K Glider
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

BUY USED with some help from a biker.Save maybe 30% lose little ride it and sell it for close to what you paid.Most add on's are free.New one is big money and big heat issues.

Old 08-11-2010, 08:57 AM
panz4ever
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,349 Likes on 1,520 Posts

Take a look at this site www.chopperexchange.com You can select year/model and state. prices go from mild to wild.

And unless you need the latest and greatest, go with used for all the reasons previously stated.

Quick Reply: Buyers Market