General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

West virginia helmet law who has the low down hear its a no helmet state now

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2010, 04:46 PM
midnight2005
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ok I called the DMV and got transferred several times and finaly got ahold of a guy (forget his name) He was in some sort of motorcycle safety program for the state. The law was voted on and lost by 5 votes. What you are seeing was the drafted law that DID NOT PASS much to my dismay. sorry guys but I know I will do my best to get it passed here and get as many voters as possible here to ask for it.

Old 08-09-2010, 05:12 PM
scoteh
Club Member
Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts

Sorry to hear that, West Viginians! Our Govenor vetoed a bill last year after it passed the legislature. I don't mind wearing a helmet, I just would like to have a choice.

Old 08-09-2010, 06:58 PM
Classic Eagle
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Some damn'd good riding in those hills now. I enjoy riding there going to Ohio. From SC we have to go through NC, VA and WVA with the lids on. So now if this passes, we can go lid free the whole trip except NC and VA. Also means that while in the north, we can ride 3 (OH,PA and WVA) helmet free states back to back for some REAL GOOD riding in the hills. Im all for that.

Old 08-12-2010, 02:51 PM
BobWVHS
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default West Virginia

The Motorcycle Helmet Law in West Virginia has not changed, the posting was a bill proposed in past legislative sessions. It has not changed since it's inception years ago. So in WV you must wear a DOT Approved Helmet.

Old 08-12-2010, 02:55 PM
BobWVHS
Stage II
Default West Virginia

Forgot to mention that the proposed bill was not taken up, the session ended in April.................so there is no pending legislation. Don't anticipate a change. The next session doesn't begin until January 2011.

Old 08-12-2010, 03:05 PM
frog13
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by shiftharder
Why not just wear it and arrive safe. helmets do save lives.
Ok, I'm late on this one, was out riding, but I just couldn't resist. You're right, helmets do save lives, but I still choose not to wear one when I don't have to. Something similar, condoms prevent stupid children from being born, but obviously your parents chose not to wear one because they didn't have to.

Old 08-12-2010, 03:11 PM
2007ELECTRICGLIDE
Cruiser
Default Still has helmet law

As i posted a few days ago called dmv they said bill didnt pass you still need a helmet in west virginia

Old 08-13-2010, 12:16 AM
aces_and_eights
Advanced

Here's a link to the AMA State-by-State motorcycle laws...should answer just about all of these type of questions.

http://www.amadirectlink.com/legisltn/laws.asp

Old 08-13-2010, 06:23 AM
shiftharder
Road Master

Originally Posted by frog13
Ok, I'm late on this one, was out riding, but I just couldn't resist. You're right, helmets do save lives, but I still choose not to wear one when I don't have to. Something similar, condoms prevent stupid children from being born, but obviously your parents chose not to wear one because they didn't have to.
Well, if you admit helmets do save lives and you choose not to wear one, then who`s parents produced the stupid kid ?

And bye the way I do believe in freedom of choice - I just made a comment that helmets do save lives - nothing more - not shoving down anyones throat.

Last edited by shiftharder; 08-13-2010 at 06:26 AM.
Old 08-13-2010, 07:33 AM
XL50#674
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Well look like WV is going to be one state i'm not riding in this year, Since I hate to wear a lid. For some reason I thougth PA was a helmet state, but guess not YAY! might ride up to Erie next week. I only have one mirror open pipes so if I go I hope they don't enforce stuff like that on out of state'rs LOL! I hate the Oh weather and roads, but we have it easy then it comes to vehicle and bike stuff.

Last edited by XL50#674; 08-13-2010 at 07:42 AM.

Quick Reply: West virginia helmet law who has the low down hear its a no helmet state now