General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Enclosed trailers

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2010, 11:38 AM
Mike Kett
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

+1 on Hualmark. Look on e-bay and make your deal. there are lots of dealers to choose from and than go pick it up from the nearest Haulmark plant. I'm in MD, bought it through a dealer in GA, and picked it up in PA. I bought mine in 07 12 x 6 single axle, no brakes, ramp and side door, roof vent. $2,600. The factory gave me paperwork for transporting to my home state where I registerd and tagged.

Old 08-08-2010, 11:52 AM
monstead
Club Member
Location: Dallas, TX & Santa Fe, NM when I can find the time....
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mike Kett
+1 on Hualmark. Look on e-bay and make your deal. there are lots of dealers to choose from and than go pick it up from the nearest Haulmark plant. I'm in MD, bought it through a dealer in GA, and picked it up in PA. I bought mine in 07 12 x 6 single axle, no brakes, ramp and side door, roof vent. $2,600. The factory gave me paperwork for transporting to my home state where I registerd and tagged.
Haulmark makes an excellent product...was interested in them, but couldn't do the lowboy thing. My younger brother has one (dirt bikes) & loves it.

I still encourage anyone to get a dual-axle trailer though. Was pulling 3 bikes out to Santa Fe last summer on an open trailer (dual axle) and had a blow-out. Barely felt it. Going about 80 mph...scared to think what might have been had it been a single axle!

Also, as far as were to purchase...ditto on eBay and Craigslist. Patience is your friend. I looked at a few, but couldn't ever find exactly what I wanted in my time frame. But, there are always deals out there and I wouldn't hesitate to buy a trailer off eBay/Craigslist. Again, it's essentially a box on wheels.

Attached Thumbnails Enclosed trailers-img_0019sm.jpg  

Last edited by monstead; 08-08-2010 at 12:02 PM.
Old 08-08-2010, 12:05 PM
DDuess
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got a Mirage V-nose, it looked like it was the first one built as a shop project in a high school. Spent a couple weeks fixing it and waiting for "warranty" replacement parts to arrive. Wish I could have inspected it for a day before I bought it. Had the wrong hubs on it, leaked, the trailer leaked in 3 spots when it rained, the plate holder was installed so poorly it nearly fell off on the trip home. A "motorcycle trailer" with tiedowns that cautioned to not use the for a motorcycle over like #300? When I complained to the manufacturer, I got "Sorry...", you can keep the old parts though...

Old 08-08-2010, 12:53 PM
dfndr
Road Master

A trailer is a good idea for numerous purposes. The best advice I got when shopping was that you MUST get torsion suspension rather than leaf springs. Much better towing and ride. Narrowed it down to Interstate and Wells Cargo due to dealers in my area. I'm sure there are many good manufaturers thru-out the country, Good luck.

Old 08-08-2010, 01:08 PM
oldairboater
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Look at your gross weight and how many bikes you want to haul. I am not a fan of dual axles unless it is needed. I have several dual axle trailers now and they use tires faster then my single axles. I don't like v-noses because I mounted a tool box in front of my trailer. I have a haul mark. Good trailer but there could be better out there. I multi-use my trailer. I have roll up carpet. Movable wheel chocks. A roof air conditioner. Do a search here. Trailers are cussed--discussed often, so there is a bunch of threads on them.

Old 08-08-2010, 01:20 PM
Tx_Rider
Tourer
Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

I have a Carry On 7 x 12 enclosed trailer, dual axle and electric brakes. Added E-Track and a larger ring tie down in the center rear. Also painted the floor with "Garage Floor" paint. Added 3 Harbor freight wheel chocks for hauling 1 or 2 bikes.

The trailers are sold at Lowes but I got it from an independant dealer in Waco Tx much cheaper.

Old 08-08-2010, 02:19 PM
Weakened Warrior
Tourer

I bought a used one on Craigslist.org when I was in Florida for a mere $1100. The thing towed great. It was manufactured by a company known as Haulmark as mentioned above.

Old 08-08-2010, 03:39 PM
moondog99
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Rick-e
Please stand by: Someone will be along shortly to tell you that "real bikers" never put a bike on a trailer...
And most real bikers keep stupid comments to themselves!

Old 08-08-2010, 04:41 PM
Tom84FXST
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 20,284 Likes on 5,868 Posts

Originally Posted by rdam
That's lame. A real biker would push his motorcycle to the dealer for repairs

A "real" biker would fix his shovelhead on the side of the road with a hammer and a crescent wrench...lol...There are many good manufacturers, and you can get a lemon from any of them. I would buy used...you get a much better deal and any problems have already been fixed. The biggest thing to look for is leaks...they will destroy a trailer in short order. After you get one, "real" bikers will want you to haul their stuff

Old 08-08-2010, 04:46 PM
ROMPUS
Road Master

Originally Posted by Rick-e
Please stand by: Someone will be along shortly to tell you that "real bikers" never put a bike on a trailer...
as long as it still goes pop,pop,pop,& goes no need for that stuff