General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MC racer killed at VIR by a 12 year old on a 250 doing 80mph?

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2010, 06:05 PM
RandyDowdy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MC racer killed at VIR by a 12 year old on a 250 doing 80mph?

I am all for teaching youth to ride. But a 12 year old , on a 250 cc bike, in a race on a road course at speeds from 60 to 80mph? No phucking way! I started riding back in 77 or 78, at about age 6, but the bikes I rode were always properly sized for me. A road course at that speeds?

A North Carolina mad died today following a chain-reaction crash during the WERA Cycle Jam motorcycle race at Virginia International Raceway, according to a Virginia State Police news release.

Robert C. Gette, 38, of Charlotte, N.C., operator of a Suzuki sv650, died at the scene.
When Gette swerved to avoid a Yamaha 250 that lost control and overturned onto the track coming into Turn 14 at about 1:30 p.m., he lost control and overturned as well, according to the release.

As Gette was getting back onto his feet, he was struck by a Moriwaki 250, which was unable to avoid the downed motorcycle and its rider.

The Yamaha was operated by James Bonner of Coopersburg, Pa. Bonner was transported by ambulance to Danville Regional Medical Center for treatment of non-life threatening injuries.

The Moriwaki was operated by a 12-year-old boy from Sutton, Wv.Moriwaki was flown to Duke University Medical Center in North Carolina for treatment of serious injuries, the release stated.

All racers were wearing helmets and full race gear. Motorcycles in the race typically reach speeds between 60 and 80 mph.

No charges will be filed. Senior Trooper T.C. Comer investigated the crash.
WERA Motorcycle Roadracing Inc wrote an online tribute to Gette at maps.wera.com. The online comment stated the other two riders are expected to recover from their injuries.

“Condolences go to Rob’s family and friends – he will be missed by his WERA family – Godspeed Rob,” WERA stated on its website.

Last edited by RandyDowdy; 08-08-2010 at 12:30 AM.
Old 08-07-2010, 07:02 PM
mp
Stellar HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Obviously insane to let a twelve year old participate in a full-fledged adult race. Evidently there's no laws in Virginia.

Old 08-07-2010, 07:27 PM
P213K
Stage III

I knew Rob personally for many years... this is a tragic loss. My thoughts go out to his parents, sister, wife and son. All your friends from New York wish you a happy eternal rest... RIP Rob, you'll forever be missed.

Old 08-07-2010, 07:33 PM
mcrider1
Road Warrior
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by RandyDowdy
I am all for teaching youth to ride. But a 12 year old , on a 250 cc bike, in a race on a road course at speeds from 60 to 80mph? No phucking way! I started riding back in 77 or 78, at about age 6, but the bikes I rode were always properly sized for me. A road course at that speeds?

A North Carolina mad died today following a chain-reaction crash during the WERA Cycle Jam motorcycle race at Virginia International Raceway, according to a Virginia State Police news release.

Robert C. Gette, 38, of Charlotte, N.C., operator of a Suzuki sv650, died at the scene.
When Gette swerved to avoid a Yamaha 250 that lost control and overturned onto the track coming into Turn 14 at about 1:30 p.m., he lost control and overturned as well, according to the release.

As Gette was getting back onto his feet, he was struck by a Moriwaki 250, which was unable to avoid the downed motorcycle and its rider.

The Yamaha was operated by James Bonner of Coopersburg, Pa. Bonner was transported by ambulance to Danville Regional Medical Center for treatment of non-life threatening injuries.

The Moriwaki was operated by a 12-year-old boy from Sutton, Wv.Moriwaki was flown to Duke University Medical Center in North Carolina for treatment of serious injuries, the release stated.

All racers were wearing helmets and full race gear. Motorcycles in the race typically reach speeds between 60 and 80 mph.

No charges will be filed. Senior Trooper T.C. Comer investigated the crash.
WERA Motorcycle Roadracing Inc wrote an online tribute to Gette at maps.wera.com. The online comment stated the other two riders are expected to recover from their injuries.

“Condolences go to Rob’s family and friends – he will be missed by his WERA family – Godspeed Rob,” WERA stated on its website.
But, you would take your daughter(how old is she?) on public highways not dressed in full race gear with vehicles going those same speeds and weighing up to 80k lbs and going in all directions? I think the 12 yo kid was in a much safer environment on the race track.
Sorry to hear about this accident and my condolences to all involved.

Old 08-07-2010, 07:34 PM
jimmything
Stellar HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

No fecking way I'd race with 12 year olds...

Old 08-07-2010, 07:39 PM
CSI
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Was this a sanctioned race, or sort of an open track day? Seems odd that a grown adult on an SV 650 would be competing in the same class as as 12 yr old on a 250....

Old 08-07-2010, 07:44 PM
aviator
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by CSI Topeka
Was this a sanctioned race, or sort of an open track day? Seems odd that a grown adult on an SV 650 would be competing in the same class as as 12 yr old on a 250....
HMMMMM???? interesting point.

Old 08-07-2010, 07:44 PM
mcrider1
Road Warrior
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Here's the WERA age requirements.

5. Any rider under the age of 18 may not compete without the duly notarized consent of parents or legal guardian. The notarized consent will be retained by WERA. In addition, each rider under the age of 18 must have on file with WERA a minor release form which can be obtained from WERA. Some facilities may require this form every weekend, the forms will be available at registration. Rider 8 years old may ride in practice onlywith the mini's. Riders 9 years old are limited to 50cc & 80cc classes. Riders 10 years old are restricted to the 125cc GP class. Riders 12 & 13 years old are restricted to 650cc LW Twins machines. Riders 14 & 15 years old are limited to “C” class machinery. Riders 16 and older are allowed to run any WERA legal machinery. These limits may be changed at WERA’s discretion on a case by case basis.

Old 08-07-2010, 07:52 PM
P213K
Stage III

That kid has NO BUSINESS being on that track with grown men. He did not and does not have the experience needed as a rider. Shame on VIR and the kids parents for allowing him to race with people twice his age. Open Track Day or not, there has to be restrictions to avoid injury and death! If that kid couldn't avoid Rob, he should have put his bike into a controlled drop to avoid killing someone... If Rob was already getting to his feet, that kid should have seen this entire crash unfold and avoided the entire situation... but he probably doesn't know how, and now my friend is dead... I am absolutly livid to hear how he died. If it was of his own accord, so be it. To know he was struck and killed by a child, infuriates me.

Old 08-07-2010, 08:42 PM
*Merlin*
Cruiser

Just to play the devil's advocate, Rob was older and more experienced. He has to take partial responsibility for the acident. He should have known better. Getting on a closed course with a 12 year old? How stupid was that?

Quick Reply: MC racer killed at VIR by a 12 year old on a 250 doing 80mph?