General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MC racer killed at VIR by a 12 year old on a 250 doing 80mph?

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2010, 09:08 PM
WWECOUGAR
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Without getting technical and too involvrd in controversy, doesn't 12 seem a bit young to be racing (or track days) with the big boys? Just sayin'

Old 08-09-2010, 10:22 PM
RandyDowdy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by WWECOUGAR
Without getting technical and too involvrd in controversy, doesn't 12 seem a bit young to be racing (or track days) with the big boys? Just sayin'
Glad I'm not the only one.

For those who approve of this type of race, what is the limit for a 12 year old, who is experienced as a racer? If not 80mph on a road course, then what?

125? 150? Unlimited? Even nascar doesn't let young kids race, and they are some of the safest racecars on the planet.

Again, my condolences to all of those who knew the victim, and prayers to those were injured and their families.

NO disrespect is intended toward anyone. I just hope some changes are made. It was a mistake to mix the class like that.

Are there not enough kids in the 12 year olds group, for them to race each other? Why mix them up like that? I ask this for an answer, not to argue. I really want to understand this.

Old 08-09-2010, 10:29 PM
mcrider1
Road Warrior
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by RandyDowdy
Glad I'm not the only one.

For those who approve of this type of race, what is the limit for a 12 year old, who is experienced as a racer? If not 80mph on a road course, then what?

125? 150? Unlimited? Even nascar doesn't let young kids race, and they are some of the safest racecars on the planet.

Again, my condolences to all of those who knew the victim, and prayers to those were injured and their families.

NO disrespect is intended toward anyone. I just hope some changes are made. It was a mistake to mix the class like that.

Are there not enough kids in the 12 year olds group, for them to race each other? Why mix them up like that? I ask this for an answer, not to argue. I really want to understand this.
It's not NASCAR, but it's a breeding ground. Legends cars reach speeds of 100 -120mph.
http://www.charlottemotorspeedway.co...0.html?src=rss

Old 08-09-2010, 10:54 PM
RandyDowdy
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by mcrider1
It's not NASCAR, but it's a breeding ground. Legends cars reach speeds of 100 -120mph.
http://www.charlottemotorspeedway.co...0.html?src=rss

Those cars are far safer than a motorcycle, especially on a road course with hills and hard turns, though that still seems too young to me.

Again, no disrespect intended.

Old 08-09-2010, 10:58 PM
RF99Dyna
Advanced

Whatever happened.. there's a 4 year old without a dad, a widow without a husband, and a 12 year old who's gonna have a lot on his mind in the future. Screw what anyone was riding or how big their motor was.

Old 08-09-2010, 11:11 PM
RandyDowdy
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by RF99Dyna
Whatever happened.. there's a 4 year old without a dad, a widow without a husband, and a 12 year old who's gonna have a lot on his mind in the future. Screw what anyone was riding or how big their motor was.
True.

Old 08-09-2010, 11:32 PM
kiwideuce
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 115 Likes on 86 Posts

not the kids fault!! however kids should race kids period,how would the guy feel if it was the other way around and the adult killed the kid??
12 not really to young to be racing,most top motorsport guys start young!

Old 08-10-2010, 01:39 AM
RandyDowdy
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by kiwideuce
,how would the guy feel if it was the other way around and the adult killed the kid??
12 not really to young to be racing,most top motorsport guys start young!
Great points. That is a dangerous track. It is the closest track to me, maybe 20 miles? from the house. Hills with turns, high speed, etc.

I don't want to discourage anyone from racing, or take the challenge out of it. I just don't understand why ya would race against 12 year old kids on different sized bikes.............I guess I never will.

Old 08-10-2010, 04:19 AM
HillBilly73
Tourer

Sorry to here of the loss. Its a traggic end that didn't need to happen.

Old 08-10-2010, 05:48 AM
Vatorman
Tourer

Sorry for the loss and all involved. I can tell by reading the posts who has and hasn't tracked a vehicle be it a bike or car. Racing is inherently dangerous. All that participate know this-and accept the risk. My last track day at VIR we had people aged 17 to 70 on the track. At what age do you tell someone they are too young or old to run / It's all about SKILL LEVEL and confidence.

Quick Reply: MC racer killed at VIR by a 12 year old on a 250 doing 80mph?