General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MC racer killed at VIR by a 12 year old on a 250 doing 80mph?

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2010, 05:22 PM
RandyDowdy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bald1der
3RD RandyDowdy, JMHO: Your title is very misleading. You title it as though the whole thing was the 12 year olds fault. If he was 40 would you title it MC Racer killed by 40 year old? The MC Racer was killed in a tragic accident at VIR by a MC Racer. You don't know how much experience this kid had racing. He could have grown up on motorcycles and been riding for 6-7 years. He could have had more experience than the guy you died. A Moriwaki 250, is a all out road racing bike and they cost about $12,000. I'd bet this kid was a pretty good rider for his parents to shell out that kind of money for him to be at the track with it.
The kid didn't belong on a crowded road course around older people with bigger bikes, who had to weave around the kids like they were cones on a DOT course. I am for kids riding , and racing. BUt as I said before, no kid should run and play tag or hide-n-seek on an interstate. And that is basically what this is. 12 years old. Still developing reflexes. Pre-adolescent.

VIR is a challenging course. Not a place for kids to be around adults with faster bikes. It was a diaster waiting to happen, and it did.

Kids should race kids, and all the bikes should be the same CC category.

Why not put a kid on a moped out there? May as well. It's his right to race, yea?

Old 08-09-2010, 05:32 PM
turn8a
Road Captain

Originally Posted by RandyDowdy
The kid didn't belong on a crowded road course around older people with bigger bikes, who had to weave around the kids like they were cones on a DOT course. I am for kids riding , and racing. BUt as I said before, no kid should run and play tag or hide-n-seek on an interstate. And that is basically what this is. 12 years old. Still developing reflexes. Pre-adolescent.

VIR is a challenging course. Not a place for kids to be around adults with faster bikes. It was a diaster waiting to happen, and it did.

Why not put a kid on a moped out there? May as well. It's his right to race, yea?
Go to the wera board and read post # 137 and 155 maybe it will help you understand better http://forums.13x.com/showthread.php?t=262776

Old 08-09-2010, 06:23 PM
RandyDowdy
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by turn8a
Go to the wera board and read post # 137 and 155 maybe it will help you understand better http://forums.13x.com/showthread.php?t=262776

This is post #137
There was absolutely zero fault on any score and no need to even bring it up.
THis is post #155

This is Jennifer Gette, Rob's wife. Thanks for all the wishes. We have a son, Owen, who will turn four tomorrow. Right now he does not understand what happened and insists that daddy will come back. Life will never be same. Please be careful and cherish your loved ones. Thank you all for bringing such joy into Rob's life.
What are they supposed to explain? Everyone has sent their best wishes and condolences. Still doesn't explain one bit why a 12 year old was racing on a curvy, crowded road course against adults on 650cc bikes doing speeds far higher than the 60-80 mph the kid was going.

Did you give the wrong post #s, by accident?

Old 08-09-2010, 06:26 PM
jwlehman
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We live in a blame-related society...whenever something happens we tend to look for fault and run with it.

If the guys knew there were riders that young riding along on the same track then so be it....personally I dont think kids that young have the right thought processes to be racing a bike of that size. Although their reflexes are probably faster, I don't think they have the right analytical skill set to respond the right way in a situation like that.

Old 08-09-2010, 06:27 PM
mcrider1
Road Warrior
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

This is post #137
THis is post #155

What are they supposed to explain? Everyone has sent their best wishes and condolences. Still doesn't explain one bit why a 12 year old was racing on a curvy, crowded road course against adults on 650cc bikes doing speeds far higher than the 60-80 mph the kid was going.

You don't know alot about racing, do you? I would be willing to bet that that 12 yo can ride circles around you and me.

Old 08-09-2010, 06:37 PM
turn8a
Road Captain

This is post #137
THis is post #155

cc's are not the only factor when deciding on the racing class .The bikes capable Performance is what pretty much decides what class it will run in . That is why the buell 1125's raced against the 600's .The sv650 is no speed demon and is considered a light weight bike . Post # 137 is written by mongo who pretty much runs wera and post 155 is from the widow. I have seen tz250's blow away gsxr1100's on the race track .

Old 08-09-2010, 06:38 PM
bald1der
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

You know nothing about this kid or his skill level, just cause the othere bikes on the track were 650's has nothing to do with it. I don't see anywhere in any of the articles I've read that say the "bigger" bikes had to drive around this kid. This was the first lap. Just cause the kid is 12 he can't ride? He could probably run laps around you on the race track. Were you there? did you see anyone having to weave around the kid? It's racing. Unfortunetly accidents happen. It's tragic, but to put the blame squarely on the kids shoulders because of his age is asinine.

Old 08-09-2010, 06:45 PM
RandyDowdy
Outstanding HDF Member

So a 250 is going to race circles around the 650? Hell, on one of those other boards it said 12 year olds usually ride 650s. No one is doubting the kids abilities to ride his bike. But he didn't , and still doesn't, belong in a race with much bigger bikes, running at speeds much faster than him.

I never said the kid killed the guy. I know it was an accident. But that part of the course is well known as a wreck spot, the most dangerous part of the course.

250's should race 250's. 650's should race 650's. 12 year olds should race kids their own age, and adults should race adults.

Doesn't make sense to me. I have been on bikes for nearly 35 years. But some things don't belong together.

It was a terrible tragedy. I just hope changes are made and lessons learned from it. You are entitled to your opinions, and I am entitled to mine.

Old 08-09-2010, 06:55 PM
turn8a
Road Captain
Red face

So a 250 is going to race circles around the 650? Hell, on one of those other boards it said 12 year olds usually ride 650s. No one is doubting the kids abilities to ride his bike. But he didn't , and still doesn't, belong in a race with much bigger bikes, running at speeds much faster than him.

I never said the kid killed the guy. I know it was an accident. But that part of the course is well known as a wreck spot, the most dangerous part of the course.

250's should race 250's. 650's should race 650's. 12 year olds should race kids their own age, and adults should race adults.

Doesn't make sense to me. I have been on bikes for nearly 35 years. But some things don't belong together.

It was a terrible tragedy. I just hope changes are made and lessons learned from it. You are entitled to your opinions, and I am entitled to mine.
I have seen 125cc smoke 600's 250's smoke 1100's . 600's beat 1000's It is not all about cc's .When I use to line up on the grid for the start of the race and look to my right or left I did not see a 12 year old kid or girl I just saw another racer I had to beat if I wanted to win.

Last edited by turn8a; 08-09-2010 at 06:58 PM.
Old 08-09-2010, 07:14 PM
skootchnc
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force
Received 501 Likes on 259 Posts

Originally Posted by BamaNation
i've been lurking for a couple of days and now i need to set the record straight because you guys keep bashing the kid. i've seen the video. it was a really bad accident.

rider 1 - dead adult rider
rider 2 - injured adult rider
rider 3 - injured kid

. rider 1 lost control and went down. as he's sliding, a few racers pass him by. when the bulk of the pack gets to him, everyone goes everywhere. some went in the grass and some slowed down and that's when rider 2 ran into the back of another rider. rider 2 went down. by this time, rider 1 has stopped sliding on the asphalt and is literally crawling, clawing and scratching his way to the inside of the track trying to get to his feet or crawl as fast as he can. he is dodging riders and they're dodging him. riders are also dodging rider 2 who is unconscious and laying in the middle of the track. all of this happened extremely fast. remember, its the first lap. a lot of bunched riders. the sad thing is that rider 1 almost made it off the track. that's when he was struck by rider 3..
Thank you for posting the actual facts

No one held a gun, to any racer's head forcing them to race that track, and those competitors. If YOU think it's nuts to race against a 12 year old? fine... then don't.

Heck I think it's nuts to ride a motorcycle to a bar, and stay at the bar, drink, and then ride.... but I know folks that do just that.....

Quick Reply: MC racer killed at VIR by a 12 year old on a 250 doing 80mph?