General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MC racer killed at VIR by a 12 year old on a 250 doing 80mph?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2010, 02:27 AM
Thundermug
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by P213K
That kid has NO BUSINESS being on that track .... If that kid couldn't avoid Rob, he should have put his bike into a controlled drop to avoid killing someone... If Rob was already getting to his feet, that kid should have seen this entire crash unfold and avoided the entire situation... ..
If the older man couldn't avoid hitting someone else, then how in the world do you expect the kid to???

Old 08-08-2010, 07:11 AM
mcrider1
Road Warrior
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by RandyDowdy
I don't take them where kids are controlling the vehicles. As far as I know, the drivers around me are seasoned and capable of operating their vehicles safely.

Do you wear full race gear when on the highway? I can't say I have ever seen anyone do that. We do wear helmets, long pants, no shorts. ALWAYS. Oh yea, they are 6 and 8.

He was safer on a track? Yea, I bet everyone there feels the same way.

Sounds like you ought to sell your bike and become a librarian.

So, you think all the drivers around you on a public roadway are "seasoned"? What about the drunks, cell phone talkers & texters, illegals with no drivers license. I could go on and on. If you think public roadways are safer than a racetrack, you are the one that needs to go to the library. The kid on the track had to have a race license to be there.

Old 08-08-2010, 07:30 AM
IndyClassic
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

We do not know enough to judge whether the kids experience/age was a factor or not. It is a tragic loss of a rider and I suspect it will weigh heavy on the 12 y/o also.

Condolences to the family for their loss.

Old 08-08-2010, 08:16 AM
VsTheWorld
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RandyDowdy
I don't take them where kids are controlling the vehicles. As far as I know, the drivers around me are seasoned and capable of operating their vehicles safely.

wow, really? I'd rather be on a track with people who are concentrating only on driving - than on the roads where driving is generally an afterthought while they do all the other things they want to be doing

your kids, your choice, but don't think for a second the other drivers on the public roads are seasoned or capable

(i don't believe you really think this, more like mcrider made a valid observation you had to respond to - even if it isn't his choice what you do with your kids)

the adult made a choice to be on a track with a 12yo, so I'd say he made an informed decision and unfortunately he was killed - sort of like the atgatt arguments ... make an informed decision when you get on your bike whether you'll mitigate your risks as much, or as little, as possible - then live (or don't) with the results

Old 08-08-2010, 08:37 AM
big cahuna
Grand HDF Member
Received 241 Likes on 161 Posts

Someone had to sign a waiver for the 12 yo to compete. He is not of legal age to sign anything legal. He parents must have been proud of his riding abilities, but he should have stayed with the kids group until at least he was 16.It's a shame this happened ,but thats how things work these days. Once enough people get killed at an intersection , then they decide it needs a traffic light. You shouldn't die having fun.,,

Old 08-08-2010, 08:49 AM
Nabubba
Road Master

I started racing motorcross at age 8 and had to run x amount of runs before I was sanctioned to race. Ran the 250 class when I was 13 years old. Each rider has to pass a the sanctioning before they get on the track as well as safety check.

As for the track with the information given there is no way to tell if it was on a straight or blind curve. I can only assume a blind curve as 2 riders crashed after the first one. Rule one of a road race is to try and get off the course as more then likely another rider is coming on fast. Also the corner workers wave a yellow flag but it still doesn't tell you where the riders are down on the course. It is a race and all riders know the risk when they throw a leg over. Don't be coming down on a kid that has the love of riding and racing for an accident that happened. If it was another adult rider it wouldn't even have been posted.

Old 08-08-2010, 09:06 AM
schumacher
Club Member
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

I've ran some AMA asphalt, and I agree, there's no way I would race with a 12 year old in the field

Old 08-08-2010, 09:09 AM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,296 Likes on 483 Posts

Some of y'all just need to get off the bikes and get back into knitting. Your mommy will tell you where she put your old needles. Just hope the things aren't too sharp for you.

Condolences to the riders and families.

Last edited by pococj; 08-08-2010 at 09:11 AM.
Old 08-08-2010, 10:34 AM
not_so_newb
Elite HDF Member
Received 824 Likes on 479 Posts

a tragic event to be sure , but the same thing could have happened if the second rider had been another 12 year old on a 250 rather than an adult on a 650 . his age or motorcycle were not a factor in his death . and obviously it's possible that if all three were adults the exact same thing could have happened .
all i know for sure is i wouldn't want to be either of the survivors of this mess

Old 08-08-2010, 10:40 AM
RandyDowdy
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by mcrider1
So, you think all the drivers around you on a public roadway are "seasoned"? What about the drunks, cell phone talkers & texters, illegals with no drivers license. I could go on and on. If you think public roadways are safer than a racetrack, you are the one that needs to go to the library. The kid on the track had to have a race license to be there.

If I had my way, the drunks, cpt's and testers, as well as illegals , wouldn't be there. But I would much rather have my kids on my bike with me, an adult, with over 3 decades of riding experience with no accidents on my record, than on a road course doing 80 mph on a bike, with others just like him around him

I also think kids should run, play hide and seek, and enjoy life. But they shouldn't be doing THAT on a freeway either.

The kid didn't belong there. PERIOD. Nothing wrong with riding young, nothing wrong with racing. But those speeds , around those bike sizes, on a road course, with hard or blind turns, he had absolutely no business being there. PERIOD.

Quick Reply: MC racer killed at VIR by a 12 year old on a 250 doing 80mph?