General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MC racer killed at VIR by a 12 year old on a 250 doing 80mph?

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2010, 08:46 PM
mcrider1
Road Warrior
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by *Merlin*
Just to play the devil's advocate, Rob was older and more experienced. He has to take partial responsibility for the acident. He should have known better. Getting on a closed course with a 12 year old? How stupid was that?
Yep, here's a few more Wera rules.

CHAPTER SEVEN
RIDER and CREW REQUIREMENTS
All competing riders must meet the following requirements.
1. All participants and spectators acknowledge that racing is dangerous and accept the inherent risks, including serious injury or death.
2. Have a current, valid WERA Competition License or other racing license designated as valid at a particular race. Only WERA Licensed riders will earn points toward an invitation to the Grand National Final. WERA will allow racers with the following current licenses to participate in two WERA events before said racer is required to purchase a WERA membership: CMRA, RACE, WMRRA, OMRRA, CRA, USCRA and AHRMA. Riders who participate in WERA events with another race organization’s license ARE NOT EARNING WERA POINTS. Points are only awarded to racers with a current WERA License. Contingency awards are only available to racers with a current WERA license. Endurance team riders must all have valid WERA licenses.
3. All riders must evaluate each facility for conditions and other matters related to their individual safety. All entrants and other race personnel must rely on their own judgment and assume all risks of participation in competition or working in competition in any manner. All riders and other participants are strongly urged to carry comprehensive medical insurance to supplement event coverage. Attendance at the Riders’ Meeting is MANDATORY.

Old 08-07-2010, 09:12 PM
32vld
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Know what's stupid?

Arguing over who was the most stupid, the race track, sanctioning body, kid, kid's parents, the deceased.

Everyone there took their chances allowing a kid to race and those that chose to race against him. Along with that people have crashes and die as a result from these crashes on the track.

It's always sad to see an accident let alone a fatal one. But after one rolls the dice you can't unroll craps.

Freedom of choice. Same freedom of choice people clamour out against mandatory helmut laws. Can't have it both ways. Though human nature to try.

Old 08-07-2010, 09:36 PM
*NIGHT TRAIN*
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mcrider1
But, you would take your daughter(how old is she?) on public highways not dressed in full race gear with vehicles going those same speeds and weighing up to 80k lbs and going in all directions? I think the 12 yo kid was in a much safer environment on the race track.
Sorry to hear about this accident and my condolences to all involved.
As usual, you never fail to interject your opinionated views of ATGATT (still sounds like someone hacking up a furball) on the street, into any thread regardless of how ignorant, insulting, irrelevant or in bad taste it may be.

Old 08-07-2010, 09:37 PM
MikeDCop
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One of my scariest days working as a corner marshal at Barber Motorsports Park was when the Red Bull Rookie Challenge Cup was qualifying. 12-15 year olds on KTM race spec bikes.
They could ride better than most of the adult riders that come out for a track day. Later that year, one of the riders was killed. It sucked.

MC racer killed at VIR by a 12 year old on a 250 doing 80mph?-img_3706.jpg

The brunt of the responsibilty is that of the parent. If they sign the waver, then the kid is good to go.

Old 08-07-2010, 09:38 PM
*NIGHT TRAIN*
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by P213K
I knew Rob personally for many years... this is a tragic loss. My thoughts go out to his parents, sister, wife and son. All your friends from New York wish you a happy eternal rest... RIP Rob, you'll forever be missed.

My condolences and prayers for your friend and his loved ones...

Old 08-07-2010, 09:54 PM
P213K
Stage III

I agree Merlin, and I'm surprised he did... I'm not sure if I'm shocked, angry, or devastated... I just spoke to Rob last week... just a horrible tragic loss... my deepest sympathies go out to his father Bob...

Old 08-07-2010, 10:09 PM
Foodog
Elite HDF Member
Received 63 Likes on 37 Posts

A lot depends on the kid and his abilities. How old was Jeff Gordon when he started driving some pretty high powered race cars and I believe he was still a teenager when he got into NASCAR. It's possible that even the most seasoned, skilled rider could not have avoided running into the accident. Don't think there's enough information to vilify the kid or anyone else.

Old 08-08-2010, 12:38 AM
RandyDowdy
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by mcrider1
But, you would take your daughter(how old is she?) on public highways not dressed in full race gear with vehicles going those same speeds and weighing up to 80k lbs and going in all directions? I think the 12 yo kid was in a much safer environment on the race track.
Sorry to hear about this accident and my condolences to all involved.
I don't take them where kids are controlling the vehicles. As far as I know, the drivers around me are seasoned and capable of operating their vehicles safely.

Do you wear full race gear when on the highway? I can't say I have ever seen anyone do that. We do wear helmets, long pants, no shorts. ALWAYS. Oh yea, they are 6 and 8.

He was safer on a track? Yea, I bet everyone there feels the same way.

Sounds like you ought to sell your bike and become a librarian.

Old 08-08-2010, 01:15 AM
Jeff W
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

I was racing 125cc motocross at 13-16 i could only reach the ground with one foot, 250cc wasnt any taller, and only a bit faster top end, in fact i could have raced 250cc at 14 if i chose and did not want to...speeds there was not always slow, lots of kids riding those bikes...it was a race on a course, there are extreme risks involved, wether adult or child, it would not have mattered either way the age of the person riding the bike, an adult could have hit him just as easily and killed him just as dead.

Old 08-08-2010, 01:20 AM
laytonj1
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So, an adult? racer loses control in the turn and crashes, another adult racer crashes while trying to avoid that crash and then the kid coming into the turn (with two wrecks in front of him) crashes into him. And this is the kids fault?

Jim

Last edited by laytonj1; 08-08-2010 at 01:24 AM.

Quick Reply: MC racer killed at VIR by a 12 year old on a 250 doing 80mph?