General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How many multi brand H-D dealers?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2010 | 07:41 AM
wagsrk08
Road Captain

Do these dealerships that sell Harley Davidson, Yamaha, Suzuki, Kawasaki etc have the bikes in the same show room together, or are they brand seperated in other rooms? I've seen a HD delaership that sold other brands but they were on same property, seperate building.

Old 08-08-2010 | 07:46 AM
wolfman 66
Road Captain

Chillicothe has all in one room.

Old 08-08-2010 | 07:47 AM
IndyClassic
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by wagsrk08
Do these dealerships that sell Harley Davidson, Yamaha, Suzuki, Kawasaki etc have the bikes in the same show room together, or are they brand seperated in other rooms? I've seen a HD delaership that sold other brands but they were on same property, seperate building.
The ones I have been in have them in the main showroom, but clumped together somewhere. In Indy the Honda's were off to the right as you walked in. Here they are right up front next to the first clothing/accessory counter and you walk back to service through the new HD's.

In both cases they are a bit out of place in that the shops are 100% boutique HD wood/chrome/signage. But they are there. Still do not know what ticks the OP off about it though.........

Old 08-08-2010 | 08:48 AM
wagsrk08
Road Captain

Originally Posted by wolfman 66
Chillicothe has all in one room.
Originally Posted by IndyClassic
The ones I have been in have them in the main showroom, but clumped together somewhere. In Indy the Honda's were off to the right as you walked in. Here they are right up front next to the first clothing/accessory counter and you walk back to service through the new HD's.

In both cases they are a bit out of place in that the shops are 100% boutique HD wood/chrome/signage. But they are there. Still do not know what ticks the OP off about it though.........
The one multi dealership I metioned with 2 seperate buildings on same property prompted this question. Someone told me that the Motor Co will not allow dealers to sell other "new" brands in a HD showroom? Your answers blew this BS out the window. Thanks for the truth.

Old 08-08-2010 | 08:49 AM
Geezr Glidr
Grand HDF Member

One of those guys, huh? Thinking that a Harley isn't as good if the dealer sells another brand also! In rural America (and, once in awhile, not-so rural America) they sell multiple brands. Big deal.

Old 08-08-2010 | 09:37 AM
IndyClassic
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by wagsrk08
The one multi dealership I metioned with 2 seperate buildings on same property prompted this question. Someone told me that the Motor Co will not allow dealers to sell other "new" brands in a HD showroom? Your answers blew this BS out the window. Thanks for the truth.
Maybe yes, maybe no.......there may be some truth. My brother-in-law worked for the mega car dealer back in the late 80's/early 90's that owned that northside dealership back when HD was making all the dealers build the expensive new shops.

If I remember correctly there was a lot of pressure to go HD only but if a dealer was already a multi-brand they could get grandfathered. New locations were locked into HD only if they wanted a franchise.

It would be interesting to know how many of the recent HD dealers opened then that were not multi-brand are now closed versus the established multi-brand dealers. If selling Star bikes, ATV's and some non-HD gear helps the only dealer within 100 miles of me stay open I am all for it.

Old 08-08-2010 | 10:01 AM
Wallaby
Club Member

My local dealer now sells Polaris snowmobiles and ATV's, was kinda weird at first seeing a nice CVO H-D with a camo ATV next to it, but as long as they can keep the doors open, fine by me.

Old 08-08-2010 | 10:08 AM
brenn
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by mean green
Do the gay bikes and gear have their own gay corner??
In fact, they do have a big gay corner of the showroom for BMW and you see some geeky little minivan guys over there once in awhile. Very few BMW people show up, even though I think it's the only dealer in town - I suspect they are scared to come in.

Last edited by brenn; 08-08-2010 at 10:10 AM.
Old 08-08-2010 | 10:48 AM
bjewell
Seasoned HDF Member

Used to be H&H Cycle in Eatlake Ohio was like that. They sold all sorts of bikes. And lawnmowers too...

Old 08-08-2010 | 06:53 PM
Big Daddy FLHX
Advanced
Thumbs up

Battley Cycles in Gaithersburg, MD

http://www.battley.com/

They sell HD, Yamaha, Buell, Ducati, and BWM

Gotta love Bingo in the sales department. He won't steer you wrong.