General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brakelight Woes

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2010, 07:53 AM
Rick-e
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Brakelight Woes

I noticed the other day when I was doing my pre-flight that pushing the rear brake pedal doesn't activate the brakelight. I think I've located the switch on the banjo bolt near or on the swing arm. Test light shows juce going to the switch, but no output when the pedal goes down. It looks like an inexpensive part in a tight spot. How tough is it swapping out the bad switch? Any tips? What do dealers get for this repair?

Old 08-07-2010, 09:08 AM
OldFenderGuy
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Seems like the rear brake light switch on most Harley's go bad all too frequently....

In fact, I'm having problems with the one on my WideGlide and will need to replace it one of these days, as it requires a VERY FIRM push on the rear brake pedal to build up brake line pressure to the switch... Until I get it replaced I'll just be sure to use the front brake lever to make sure the brake light 'lights up'.

On most models the rear brake switch is screwed into a fitting on the rear brake line, and is activated when brake fluid pressure is noted (as when you hit the rear brake pedal).

If you are getting juice to the switch it normally means the switch is going bad, as it isn't passing 'juice' to the brake light when sufficient brake line pressure is noted.

They aren't that expensive, and I think the last time I replaced one it was less than $15. You do need to be careful when replacing them because when you unscrew the switch from it's fitting brake fluid will leak out. They recommend checking the fluid level and is necessary bleeding the rear brake system after installing a new switch....

It is kind of a pain replacing the switch because of it's location, and you want to make that you don't strip the threads when removing or replacing the switch. If you do you have a real mess on your hands. Shouldn't take a dealer more than a few minutes to replace the switch, and if you aren't sure of your mechanical abilities it might be safer to spend a few dollars and let them install a new switch.

Not hard or expensive replacing the rear brake switch, just kind of a pain in the neck...

Last edited by OldFenderGuy; 08-07-2010 at 09:18 AM.
Old 08-07-2010, 11:38 AM
harleydavis
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

Very simple to do, as OldFenderGuy stated. No way would I pay a dealer to do this. It will take you about 30 minutes, start to finish, taking your time and making certain the rear brake line is bled of any air after you replace the part.

Old 08-07-2010, 12:35 PM
Grammaton
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by OldFenderGuy
They aren't that expensive, and I think the last time I replaced one it was less than $15.
I ordered one last week for my sporty - $15.48 from Chicago Harley.

Old 08-07-2010, 12:57 PM
Rick-e
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks guys, that's about what I figured, I'll do it myself, and until I do, I'm making sure I'm using both brakes together, which I do 99% of the time anyways.