General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Extended Warranty?

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2010, 03:19 AM
Eddie A.
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Extended Warranty?

I bought my 2010 Fat Bob about 4 months ago and didn't get the extended warranty because I didn't think I'd need it. Since then I've had two things lodge themselves in my rear tire; first one was a framing staple that didn't go deep enough to do any damage and the second was a big *** screw that cost me $285 for replacement.

All that being said, I've put 5500 miles on this bike in the 4 months that I've had it and I ride every day (my bike is my main mode of transport) and I'm thinking I should get the extended warranty w/ tire and wheel coverage as this is going to be a high mileage bike that I keep for a while. I went to talk to my dealer and they're touting around $1500 for 3 years up to $2800 for 7. Are there any dealers out there that are more competitive on their Extended Warranty Prices?

Point me in the right direction guys.

Eddie

Old 08-07-2010, 08:36 AM
rpbrown
Road Warrior
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I just added another 3 years on my 04 and it was about the same price. However, due to a couple of hi dollar issues I've had, the first one paid for itself twice

Old 08-07-2010, 08:39 AM
tcatnat
Road Master
Received 135 Likes on 98 Posts

I just bought a 2010 FXDC with the 5 year warranty and it was $1200.

Old 08-07-2010, 08:57 AM
MDSuperGlide
Advanced

I bought a 2010 FXD in April and bought a 4 year warranty for $700 (I think, don't have paperwork in front of me). Since I manage at a car dealership they said the price was out of professional courtesy. I've heard the much larger figures thrown out and figured around $700 for 4 years of warranty was cheap (they may have made some profit but I thought this cheap insurance). lol I'm sure just as in the car business....warranties can be a huge profit center.

Old 08-07-2010, 10:59 AM
oldairboater
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have put over 75,000 miles on two HD's in the last seven years. 03 Heritage and a 98 Wideglide. I don't remember the mileage from earlier bikes. I have picked up one nail and one screw in that time. Neither tire had to be replaced over depth of penetration or angle[ the crap went in sideways or never completely punctured the tread. Where you riding at? New housing subdivisions? In that 75,000 + miles the only major repair has been the timing chain junk HD installed from the factory. Extended warranty's have saved some on here a lot of money by their claims but they would have been losers for me.

Old 08-07-2010, 01:23 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 819 Likes on 805 Posts

Its really poker insurance,, Ur betting U'll need it, there betting U won't..
Our 07 is going on 4yrs and 28k, so far I wouldn't have used it If I'd gotten it..

Only time I had anything done other than reg service, was a recall...
They aslo replaced one dial type oil temp cap. Glass broke and also they replace one Stop/turn/run elc plug-in kit, overheated melted part of the plastic.

Other than that,,, nothing.

Old 08-07-2010, 01:39 PM
PSO169
Road Master
Default Ext Warranty

I bought mine since I got a package deal, wheel&Tire, service to 10K and Extened warranty for a total of 7 years. I had some stupid things that the warranty just worked to my advantage. My HD premium air horn fell off. My warranty covered the air horn and replaced it with a new one, this time a stebel horn. I got my lower flap doors replaced since a button/snap broke that I never used. I like knowing that I have the warranty.

Jeff

Old 08-07-2010, 04:54 PM
redultra02
Cruiser

Its like having fire insurance on your house, hope you never need it, but a good thing just in case.

Old 08-10-2010, 11:31 AM
beammeup
Road Master
Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

the 5 year extended warrenty is a little iffy, but for the first time in 70K miles I bought it with my new 09 ultra. don't ask me why. I don't know.
The tire and wheel plan for a $300 - $400 is a home run though. putting a tire on used to not cost an arm and leg. I had a screw in my rear tire but still would hold air last fall, and would have cost over $400 to replace. cost zero under the plan. paid for itself within a couple months.
just had my 407 front tire changed to the 408 free under the HD secret warranty, but it would have cost 250 if it would have been a flat. you can have as many tires replaced as you have flats under the W and Tire warranty, even if they are not flat but have screw or nail.

Old 08-10-2010, 11:38 AM
NewAge
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah I agree, the tire and wheel warranty is the way to go. Extended warranty not so much. There are tons of people that the warranty has helped and there are tons where it was a waste of money. There really isn't a right answer. For me, we chose instead of paying interest on the $$ it cost to buy the warranty to just put money away every month for maintenance. To each their own though. We def'n got the tire and wheel plan though.

Quick Reply: Extended Warranty?