Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1000 mile service: does it have to be exactly 1K miles?

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2010, 10:56 AM
WoodyTJ
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by schumacher
yep, has to be 1k exactly when you pull onto the lot. pretty tricky thing to do if ya ask me
Damn I had 996 on the Odometer when I dropped my Fat Bob for its service Guess I should have gone round the roundabout outside the dealers 20 or so times!

Old 08-06-2010, 11:32 AM
srshaw
Tourer
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Mengy
The 1K service is free for me, I got a coupon when I bought the bike. I'll take a free service over buying my own oil!
I was surprised to find that here in the UK the first service is 'free'. Actually the price is built into the higher retail prices of the bikes here, but it was a nice bonus anyway.

Old 08-06-2010, 09:01 PM
TI06
Road Master
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

I may be in the minority here but I wouldn't go over mileage on the first service. It has nothing to do about warranty but peace of mind especially if you're keeping your bike for a few years. The first service is important, your motor is breaking in, metal shavings etc. You could change your own fluids now and bring it in at 2,500 miles for your free service. A well respected wrench Donny Peterson(American Iron, owns his own bike shop) changed his three times in the first 1,000 miles, couldn't stress enough how important the break in is. I agree that some dealers bullshit you about stuff and over charge so after your first free service do your own and be done with them or find someone you trust.

Old 08-06-2010, 09:10 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 931 Likes on 573 Posts

Plus or minus a couple of hundred. Better over in my opinion.

Old 08-07-2010, 12:25 AM
wlbowers
Stellar HDF Member

Received 100 Likes on 43 Posts

Anybody that thinks a service is just an oil change needs to take their service manual back to Sears and buy one from Harley.

A proper service will take you @ 3 hours.

Go to to this webpage and enter your vin and mileage. It will tell you what needs to be done. and if there are any recalls

Here is the Softail Maintanence check list.

Don't have any idea what a critical fastener is. Their below the service interval. It's from my flstc manual.

Old 08-07-2010, 03:35 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 931 Likes on 573 Posts

I do the things listed in the service manual. I can only wonder how many dealers actually do the full Monty.

Old 08-07-2010, 06:06 PM
wideglidebob
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

man you better park it at 1001 miles it will blow

Old 08-07-2010, 08:04 PM
WildBillHarley
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I let the dealer do the 1000 miles service on my 2009 Ultra since I thought they would have a good idea on any "problem" areas to look for. Youll notice your clutch cable probably needs adjustment as it stretches the most in the first usage. "Hopefully" they do all the things listed. I keep in mind that they probably are not using their top mechanics to do the services so the quality of the worker may be an issue. Been wrenching on my Harleys for 30 years now so I will be doing the services after the 1000 mile one. After the 1000 mile service get a manual and do your own, the piece of mind that someone who cares is doing the work is worth it...

Old 08-07-2010, 09:11 PM
Rocket Man
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you take in for 1K, be sure them to get them to check the motor mount bolts too. A few weeks after I got mine back from the 1K, the top motor mount decided to loosen itself up.

2005 FXDI Vivid Black

Old 08-09-2010, 05:59 AM
Bart van der Meulen
Road Master
Received 57 Likes on 45 Posts

Yep, to be exact...A friend of a friend of mine exceeded this 1000 miles with a fe hundred yards and spontaneously his bike went falling apart. First he lost his headlight, next his taillight. After another 200 yards his sunspension collapsed, riding further in his lowest position the eninge broke apart, the exhaust valve first came out of the muffler. Than the other exhaust valve. Next his cranckcase broke apart, next his transmission and his gearbox and after he reached the first mile after his 1000 mile limit he had a pile of scrap.......No warantee according HD and all her dealers , because he has exceeded the 1000 miles as mentioned in the service manual...
What do you think yourself???

Quick Reply: 1000 mile service: does it have to be exactly 1K miles?