General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1% Encounter in AZ

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2010, 08:05 PM
schumacher
Club Member
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Opus X
1%'er in Arizona? I thought you were going to say you ran across one of the few US citizens in Arizona.

Old 08-05-2010, 08:06 PM
heymoej
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i wrecked one night....long ago,back around 79.....there were 4 of us on scooters bar hopping....i lost control on a turn,my scooter going down a steep hill.....word got out to the local bar, down the road 1/2 mile or so about a scooter going air borne, there were some 1%er having a good time there at that bar....3 of them came & helped us pull the damned scooter up that steep *** hill & then invited us in for a beer.....we would of never got it up there with out there help! it was over 90 foot drop.....almost straight down.

i actually found a whole new front end that night,with there help.....i was back on the road in 2 days thanx to them.......

Old 08-05-2010, 08:10 PM
phrogflyer
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

regardless of the outcome you did the right thing. good on ya for helping someone out.

Old 08-05-2010, 08:15 PM
scooter_trash_1
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default That right there

Originally Posted by Cabocarl
I remember I paid for this guys lap dance. Ten years later I was deep sea diving and he swam up with 50 bikers and paid me back. Damn.
Is some seriously funny $hit! LOTFL!

Old 08-05-2010, 08:19 PM
JimmySGC
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If I remember the story correctly the Maggies was built for the movie and the towns people asked if they could keep it for a diner.

As far as the OP's story, you did a good thing.

Old 08-05-2010, 08:27 PM
faber
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Whatever kind of lesson they were trying to teach the prospect was thderi business.

Couldn't that guy see you were just trying to do a nice thing? He could have said 'Thank You' and saved the judgement for the prospect.

I'm not commenting on all 1%ers, just this guy who apparently is the enemy of generosity.

Old 08-05-2010, 08:30 PM
AThousandHurricanes
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by wideglidebob
you would of thought they would of thank you, there taking **** like that to far, when i was in reno a couple of yrs ago i was in a hamburger place and kind of same thing this guy diden`t have enough for the order he was 3 bucks short so i thru him the money and said have a good day,than all of a sudden i noticed he had 5 bags of hamburger i said wow are you hungry he laughed and thanked me, 3 days later i`m getting ready for ride home and filling up at gas statione when prob 40 bikes pull in to gas up this guy with 3 to four buddies walk over and point at me and this kid knods his head they thanked me and threw me a 20 bill, (hells angels)
This is much more like the encounters I have had. I have never had anything but positive experiences with many different clubs.

Old 08-05-2010, 08:31 PM
T-Dub
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I have been doing lots of research on the 1%'ers. I read that back in the day, some of them carried business cards that said, "You have just been assisted by the(insert club name here). Have a nice day." They would make it a practice to help out motorists and then give them a card. Usually had the club logo, chapter, and name of the guy carrying it. They stopped this practice largely because of the nationwide paranoia that swept the USA in the mid to late 70's. Imagine that you are Joe Public out on a nice cruise with your pretty wife. You blow a tire. Just then down the road comes 35-40 members. You have read and heard on tv that these guys are rapists, murderers, that are only out to pillage and take the innocence of your lovely young lady. You have to act tough in front of your lady, so when they pull up, you immediately act like a tough-guy. That don't play out so well for you as the guys who were pulling over to help you are now offended. You get beat up, your lady runs screaming into the woods, and later, the story goes viral that the members gang-banged your lady, beat you into a coma, and stole your car. I will still help out anyone who is in need. Especially if they are riding.

Old 08-05-2010, 08:38 PM
Foodog
Elite HDF Member
Received 63 Likes on 37 Posts

Seems to me the prospect solved his problem, test or whatever it was. He looked sad, made futile attempts to scavenge a few drops of gas and got a good samaritan to buy him a tank of gas. Sounds pretty resourceful to me.
BTW: You did the right thing to help a fellow traveler.

Old 08-05-2010, 08:57 PM
Shrug
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by T-Dub
Maggies is real????? Holy ****. Where is it??
The lady that owns the place told me the following...

She and her husband own the "Maggie's" lot and the one next door, which is one of many pottery, native American art, and trinket places in the thriving metropolis of Madrid. The movie people built the place on their empty lot and after production (18 weeks total), they offered to leave it or tear it down. They asked them to leave it and subsequently had to bring it up to code to allow visitors inside. Before they did that, visitors could only stand out front and look in. It's not a diner. It's a souvenir shop with Wild Hogs memorabilia. The booths and bar are the ones built for the movie. She said riders ship their bikes in from all over the world to ride the road to Madrid (a nice ride, btw) and take pics at "Maggie's". The gas station pumps were props placed in front of a store across the street. The "chili festival" dance and fairgrounds are at the end of the street and are still vacant. The Del Fuegos club house was about 10 miles away on NM14. When they blew it up for the film, the let it burn to the ground.

The rest of the town pretty much despises the movie and the city will not use it in any references or advertisements. Who can blame them. I mean, they're doing so well without it. NOT

The lady who owns "Maggie's" has no reservations about exploiting the film for all she can as long as she can. I don't blame her.

I was bored after figuring out that Santa Fe is nothing but shopping for native American art, so I decided to play movie tourist.

I DID get to crash a peace demonstration in Santa Fe put on by a bunch of whack job clueless dorks. The sign read "war is not the answer" Pic attached. My tie dyed Stroker's Ice House shirt must've blended in well enough that they didn't notice me walking through their little show.

Quick Reply: 1% Encounter in AZ