General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sigh...WTF?

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2010, 12:24 AM
Fnortner
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I bought about 90 miles from home. The locals dealers wanted a fair amount over retail. They also wanted set up, freight, prep. They also tried to sway me with what a great place their's is to get a bike. You also get a family. You can come in on weekends and get food and a band. You're paying for that. Jeez, I knew they did that 10 years ago, but still? No thanks. 90 miles away, MSRP and an optional extended service warantee. And 20% off on parts in the store, 15% if they order 'em. That may be 15 and 10.

Old 08-06-2010, 02:19 AM
twisty571
Road Warrior
Received 22 Likes on 7 Posts

I know how you feel,I got my Harleys in Iowa (1600 miles away) but saved a total of $1600 over local price on the new 1.

Last edited by twisty571; 08-06-2010 at 02:22 AM.
Old 08-06-2010, 02:29 AM
Luxer
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Patience can have a tremendous value especially when you start talking sales. I would wait for some colder months; there is a good chance that the dealer will be more willing to negotiate. I think a lot of times it boils down to how bad you want something and if you are willing to ride the storm out if need be.

Old 08-06-2010, 08:05 AM
big cahuna
Grand HDF Member
Received 240 Likes on 161 Posts

It's amazing how if you wait until the last week in February, you can always get a better deal on a bike.,,

Old 08-06-2010, 08:35 AM
Turbo Turtle
Road Warrior
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Down in Arkysaw we call it the stupid tax. when the new Ford Thunderbird first hit the street it sold for near double its MSRP.
If you gotta have it, you gotta pay to play!

Old 08-06-2010, 08:45 AM
FLST rider
Cruiser

That's what is great about the free market, they are free to charge what they want and you are free to take your business down the road. I would give them the opportunity to match though.
A friend of mind got a better deal on his FatBoy about 3 1/2 hours from here, problem is he has to go there for his freebies.
Good luck!

Old 08-06-2010, 08:53 AM
RollaMo
Grand HDF Member
Received 513 Likes on 316 Posts

Originally Posted by shiftharder
Is it even legal to sell over MSRP - Years ago when the new Vette came out the dealers were selling for way above MSRP and they got in trouble for that.
Nothing illegal about it. Any dealer (auto or bike) is "free" to sell at whatever they can get for it. That is where supply and demand come into play.

They were selling the new ZR-1 Corvette for more than MSRP, and also the new Camaro was going for 3k - 5k over MSRP.
Believe it or not, there were plenty of people on waiting lists to get their hands on one.
Of course now that the "new" has wore off, the supply has caught up with demand and the prices are back to MSRP or lower.

As 2kids3pets pointed out, its just a "Suggested" price. You don't have to pay it, and are free to walk out the door.

Old 08-06-2010, 09:08 AM
Bob W Chicago
Novice

Originally Posted by shiftharder
Is it even legal to sell over MSRP - Years ago when the new Vette came out the dealers were selling for way above MSRP and they got in trouble for that.
MSRP = Manufacturers Suggested Retail Price. The key here is Suggested not required. HD dealers have been doing this for a long time. As long as people are willing to pay this price then they will keep doing it.

Old 08-06-2010, 09:15 AM
RHPAW
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 15,122 Likes on 6,696 Posts

Manufacturers Suggested Retail Price? Really?

We thought it stood for Most Screwing Reasonably Possible.
Sincerely,
Amarillo Area HD Management

Old 08-06-2010, 09:18 AM
BassCatcher
Grand HDF Member
Received 81 Likes on 40 Posts

I don't see what the big ideal is. Don't know where you live in Texas but it can't be that far from Colorado. 7% over MSRP could be as high as $1700-1800. Hell man, take a fast drive up there with the wife, but it and drive it home. Problem solved. Plus, you get a heck of a nice road trip on your new bike.

People get too hung up on buying it locally. You tried, right? Just before you go, stop in one more time and tell them what your plan is. They might meet the other dealers offer. If not, off you go. The local HD will still do all your warranty work.

Quick Reply: Sigh...WTF?