General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HD Leaving Milwaukee???

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2010, 08:25 PM
larry bart
Road Master
Received 293 Likes on 114 Posts
Default Hmmmm

Originally Posted by RangeRat
WOW!!!! That's a new twist for sure Keith. Thanks:

"...<snip> Harley-Davidson Inc.’s announcement that it might move its operations out of Wisconsin to cut $54 million in manufacturing costs has many people pointing to the state’s onerous tax laws, in particular a policy enacted in February 2009 known as “combined reporting.”

Combined reporting requires companies like Harley, with operations in many states, to combine all profits earned nationally so they can be taxed at the rate of the state in which the company is headquartered. In the first quarter of 2009, Harley reported losses of $22.5 million due to a “change in tax laws... <snip>".
Did the Union make that law?
They want Concessions from the Workers to give more to the Politicians!
WTF is going on ?

Old 08-05-2010, 08:38 PM
larry bart
Road Master
Received 293 Likes on 114 Posts
Default Texas

Originally Posted by dan conner
maybe if they move down south, they will seriously consider water cooling due to the heat. what harm would water cooling do? eliminate cat. converters and all the heat? could be the same motor with a water jacket around it...should still sound and feel the same. no unions-toyota built a plant in san antonio...the people are happy with the jobs. pays way more than most jobs in the south. unions have out lived their usefullness...keep the jobs in america.
I don't know where some of you live but I live in TEXAS and show it on my Location. There are a lot of Union Workers in TEXAS. Toyota(San Antonio) pays and treats their Employees very well. WHY? SO IT WILL NOT GO UNION Funny how a UNION can have an effect on a NON-UNION Company. IF YOUR COMPANY TREATS YOU WELL MAYBE YOU SHOULD THANK A UNION MEMBER

Old 08-05-2010, 09:02 PM
gary_montague
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

for those line workers to make 150K they would have to camp right there on the line and never go home.

Old 08-05-2010, 09:16 PM
chromedome09
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gary_montague
for those line workers to make 150K they would have to camp right there on the line and never go home.
i know people that work at the plants here.. No one on the line makes 150k a year.. more like $40,000.00 to $60,000.00 a year.

Some don't even make that.. lots of the warehouse work, is done like car manufactures. Parts sequencing, and other stuff, is outsourced to another company.

Old 08-05-2010, 10:27 PM
IamZardoz
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by larry bart
Did the Union make that law?
They want Concessions from the Workers to give more to the Politicians!
WTF is going on ?
Seems to me any company should be taxed by the state it has its headquarters. What would be the alternative?

Old 08-06-2010, 03:08 AM
RangeRat
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by IamZardoz
Seems to me any company should be taxed by the state it has its headquarters. What would be the alternative?
I agree Z but WI raised the HD tax levy by $88M/yr and I bet WI considered the consequences before their hefty new tax was enacted. Now they might have to just live with the consequences.

Old 08-06-2010, 03:19 AM
dmftoy1
Tourer

Originally Posted by IamZardoz
Looks like many states are much lower than Wisconsin with SD, Texas and maybe Ohio (??) being zero or close to zero.

http://www.taxadmin.org/fta/rate/corp_inc.pdf

FWIW.

Have a good one,
Dave

Old 08-06-2010, 06:00 AM
LionBaron
Advanced

This is Harley's way of lowering costs I live in York PA The union had to come with ways to lower operating costs or the plant would be moved to Shelbyville Tenn . The York plant is now downsizing into one building however the plant which once employed 2000 workers is only to employ 800 when all is done here at York . Harley wants casual workers that make less money and hardly any benefits [ cheaper labor] , Lots of good workers lost their jobs because of the downsizing if the union didnt vote for the concessions the plant would of been shut down and moved . Harley is now targeting the milwaukee plants and threatening the same thing as they did here in York its a cost cutting move and sad to say job losses are coming to milwaukee no way around it . Harley will move the plants if not enough concessions/ cost cutting moves are offered .If you dont believe me just ask the workers here in York PA . Harley has stated its corporate HQ will not be moved . The scheduled open house here in Sept has been cancelled this year because of the downsizing or as harley calls it plant re-structuring . Lots of disappointed HARLEY OWNERS around here including myself .

Old 08-06-2010, 08:24 AM
bobx67
Cruiser

i have a feeling that the decision to move / not move has already been made....

Old 08-06-2010, 08:32 AM
byucop
Advanced

Labor costs are killing them. Looks like they will move the engine assy out of Milw and keep the offices there, as of last report. The report I saw said that thye have not made a final decision yet on where to move. I guess it's possible to move to one of the production facilities or the test track on Ala. Who knows. Guess we'll see in about 2 months.