General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HD Leaving Milwaukee???

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2010, 12:25 PM
hoethree
Elite HDF Member
Received 69 Likes on 21 Posts

Yup, just the engines and the small plant in Tomahawk that does the fiberglass work in Wisconsin. York and Kansas City assemble all the bikes now.

The MoCo is no different than any other manufacturer of goods today in the USA. Labor costs have driven almost everything offshore now. I work for a major manufacturer of computers and everything we sell now is pretty much made outside the USA, predominantly in China. I try my best to buy American made goods but its getting harder everyday. I dont fault the MoCo for doing what they MUST do to stay competitive and remain in business. And, not to highjack this thread, but they dont build to EPA standards now because they WANT to its because they HAVE to. I am sick to death of all the government do-gooders and the tree-huggers MANDATING my every moment now on this planet! Rant over now.

Old 08-04-2010, 12:57 PM
GPHDXLC
Grand HDF Member
Received 367 Likes on 256 Posts

Originally Posted by hoethree
Yup, just the engines and the small plant in Tomahawk that does the fiberglass work in Wisconsin. York and Kansas City assemble all the bikes now.

The MoCo is no different than any other manufacturer of goods today in the USA. Labor costs have driven almost everything offshore now. I work for a major manufacturer of computers and everything we sell now is pretty much made outside the USA, predominantly in China. I try my best to buy American made goods but its getting harder everyday. I dont fault the MoCo for doing what they MUST do to stay competitive and remain in business. And, not to highjack this thread, but they dont build to EPA standards now because they WANT to its because they HAVE to. I am sick to death of all the government do-gooders and the tree-huggers MANDATING my every moment now on this planet! Rant over now.
Hey man, Just today on ABC news they said Ospenda is having trouble getting Congress to go along with him on higher EPA standards so he said if he has to he will sign over more power to the EPA on his own. Now that's scary.
I really don't want to see HD move any factory but if they do, they better keep it within the U.S. If they start to build new factory's in Mexico like Polaris is going to do, I would have to rethink my love for Harleys.

Old 08-04-2010, 01:09 PM
barjbar
Elite HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I now see this was today's release. I thought this was resolved with concessions from the unions and they were going to stay in Milwaukee. Obviously it wasn't resolved.

Old 08-04-2010, 01:43 PM
Tex42
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

News article in our paper today said they would leave main office in Milwaukee but were considering moving everything else to a southern state due to labor cost. Their cost had come down but not enough to stay there and also said it was not intended to try and get more labor cost reductions but was about survival of the company.

Old 08-04-2010, 01:44 PM
dban55
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do you think if they move to Mexico they drop the price of their bikes??? LOL

Old 08-04-2010, 01:46 PM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,609 Likes on 2,727 Posts

Originally Posted by stevent
The bottom line says it all, "they will consider incentive to keep the jobs in Milwaukee" .....it's just a money grab, what a bunch of *** holes.
But the ridiculous taxes that WI imposed on Harley, thats not a money grab?

Old 08-04-2010, 01:48 PM
harleyguy5571
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 88 Likes on 49 Posts

Old 08-04-2010, 01:48 PM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,609 Likes on 2,727 Posts

Originally Posted by Keithhu
But the ridiculous taxes that WI imposed on Harley, thats not a money grab?
http://www.heartland.org/full/27759/...isconsin_.html

Old 08-04-2010, 04:16 PM
RangeRat
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

WOW!!!! That's a new twist for sure Keith. Thanks:

"...<snip> Harley-Davidson Inc.’s announcement that it might move its operations out of Wisconsin to cut $54 million in manufacturing costs has many people pointing to the state’s onerous tax laws, in particular a policy enacted in February 2009 known as “combined reporting.”

Combined reporting requires companies like Harley, with operations in many states, to combine all profits earned nationally so they can be taxed at the rate of the state in which the company is headquartered. In the first quarter of 2009, Harley reported losses of $22.5 million due to a “change in tax laws... <snip>".

Old 08-04-2010, 04:24 PM
chicanagirl
Road Warrior
Received 63 Likes on 32 Posts

HD is changing anyway from a manufacturing company to an assembly company. Manufacturing of many parts is outsourced and the bikes are assembled here. Right or wrong thats the direction the Moco going.

Quick Reply: HD Leaving Milwaukee???