General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Purging at Oil Change?

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2010, 10:29 PM
clicker01
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hucks 08
i have ran it for 30 sec or so without the oil filter to get the rest out ,after you fill it ,thats the way i was taught.
With all due respect, that's not a good idea. Running your engine without oil circulating for any amount of time is the primary cause of engine wear. So, the first start of the day after the oil has had time to drain down, is the major cause of wear, for the few seconds it takes to build pressure. Multiply that times the cold starts over the life of the engine and it's worn out at say, 100,000 miles. Running it intentionally with without oil pressure for 30 sec. multiplied by the number of times you change your oil, I would guess it'll start getting pretty sloppy at 25,000 miles, conservatively.

Old 08-07-2010, 11:14 PM
wlbowers
Stellar HDF Member

Received 101 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by djbiker
It seems to be that the easiest way to do this, if you so choose, would be to remove the return line from the top of the oil tank and direct it into a container and let the bike run till clean oil shows. Reconnect the return line and refill with the amount that you purged. Bike never runs dry and if you were really ****, do this before replacing the filter, so you dont run old oil into a clean filter. Then replace the filter, and refill. Maybe ****, but I have spent over $20K on my bike with the bike and aftermarket chrome, I need this thing to last forever. Most of us spend $10 a quart to get the best oil for the thing, why not keep it as clean as possible? Just my .02 worth.

To be realistic, most folks trade bikes every few years, so this is probably way overboard for most. If you plan on keeping your ride for 20-30 years, go ahead and be ****, it's a good thing.

You don't see **** on the HONDA sites or the Yamaha sites, so how many 20-30 year old Honda's you see riding around? How many Harleys from 1990 and back? LOTS!
If you do this you will be running all of the new oil through a dirty filter.

Old 08-08-2010, 12:02 AM
clicker01
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by wlbowers
If you do this you will be running all of the new oil through a dirty filter.
Exactly, that's why wlbowers $15 solution is ingenious. It bypasses the new oil through the filter manifold exactly the way the $120 scavenger puck does. Drain and fill with clean oil, remove filter, install puck, run the engine until used oil is purged, install your new filter and top off the oil. Clean oil, clean filter, good deal! I'd pay maybe $40 for the Scavenger to spare the hassle, but forget $120.

Old 08-08-2010, 09:36 AM
tajohns
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll admit it bothers me to leave that dirty oil in there, but I think if you change often enough, (5000 miles or less) I don't think it will affect the performance of the new oil.

Old 08-08-2010, 10:36 AM
Geoff
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 662 Likes on 412 Posts

Originally Posted by backnasaddle
Had a guy tell me he always pulls his oil return line and runs a quart or so out after an oil change to purge any of the old oil still in the case. Replaces the line and tops back off after. Can't say I've ever done this, but I've only owned an HD for the last five or six years. Anybody care to comment?
Overkill and unnecessary.

Old 08-08-2010, 11:41 AM
CHOPPIN' CHARLIE
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Your quote @ 120.$ is more than double rogue chopper price for the scavenger and it is a top quality item. With fresh Amsoil, it takes several hundreds of miles for a total oil change for the oil to even start to darken in color & when if you leave 1/2 quart or so dirty oil in the partial change, takes a couple of minutes @ idle to darken. I know the color is not a good indication but when I change it, I like to see the clean oil for a few minutes but to see clean oil for a couple hundred miles is a + for this 69 year **** slow rider.

Old 08-08-2010, 04:12 PM
clicker01
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by CHOPPIN' CHARLIE
Your quote @ 120.$ is more than double rogue chopper price for the scavenger and it is a top quality item.
The price quoted is for a '06 and up Dyna, $119.95http://www.roguechopper.com/products..._Kit_RC160.htm
I was just saying wlbowers solution is of equal quality, but for $15 bucks, and 20 minutes to make.

Last edited by clicker01; 08-08-2010 at 04:18 PM.
Old 08-09-2010, 09:05 AM
djbiker
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by clicker01
Exactly, that's why wlbowers $15 solution is ingenious. It bypasses the new oil through the filter manifold exactly the way the $120 scavenger puck does. Drain and fill with clean oil, remove filter, install puck, run the engine until used oil is purged, install your new filter and top off the oil. Clean oil, clean filter, good deal! I'd pay maybe $40 for the Scavenger to spare the hassle, but forget $120.
Guess your right,, I need to go back up the thread and see how to make that thing again, LOL! Good idea!

Old 08-09-2010, 09:32 AM
JekyllnHyde
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 250 Likes on 146 Posts

You don't have to run it dry. Drain the oil, plug it back up and add 2 quarts of clean oil. Then run it and when you start seeng clean oil flow, shut the engine off. Then add another quart. Thanks to a thread on HDF, I made my own scavenger oil changing system and it only cost me about $12.

Old 08-09-2010, 02:03 PM
djbiker
Road Warrior

Well, I ordered mine from Summit Racing, should be a really good thing. Now all I need is the Lisle AC/Fuel line disconnect tool set from Sears part number 00946337000 and a couple fittings and should be good to go for clean oil changes every time. Thanks Forum, this is a great place to be!

Quick Reply: Purging at Oil Change?